Search results

1. B

A Market Looking for a Product

I'm a little surprised nobody has mentioned the Kenwood HD30GB9. It's generally considered to be the audiophile's DAP. Gets great reviews on anythingbutipod, headfi, and elsewhere. It's supposed to have the best DAC's and amps of anything available out of the box, and gives some of the boutique...
  2. B

Sony STR-6800SD

Like a lot of other Sony gear the 6800 is a real bargain at recent prices. Very nice sounding receiver with a good tuner and decent phono stage. Doesn't sound as good as the VFET separates of the same vintage, but for about 1/10 the price it comes pretty darn close.
  3. B

New Headphone Amp. Now Need Headphones

One other can you may want to look into is the Denon D2000. They have been getting some great reviews recently at headfi and elsewhere. They are supposed to be one of the best sounding cans in their price range, and one of the most comfortable as well. It seems they are out of stock almost...
  4. B

Help Audiokarma celebrate 5 years and learn how to win 500.00 worth of prizes !

I never win anything but what the heck, I'm in. (George) ByrdWyngs
  5. B

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

A very nice collection there mertol. What's the story on those headphones? They look to be either electret or electrostatic. Don't think I've seen anything on those before. What's the model number and how do they sound? I haven't been around here much lately as I've been busy elsewhere, but I...
  6. B

Differences in cable for DIY interconnects?

RG6 is good for video or digital, might not be the best for regular analog. Also a lot of RG6 has a copper plated steel inner conductor, you definitely want to avoid that. Shielded twisted pair, or quad star mic cable makes good analog interconnects
  7. B

Sony PS-X70 & Denon DL103r?

Although Sony never published a spec for the PS-X70 tonearm it is a fairly high mass arm and seems to work well with low compliance cartridges. I'm running a Dynavector 10x5 on mine and it works nicely. You shouldn't have any problems with a 103R, should be a good match.
  8. B

Yamaha NS-1000M ...

I wouldn't worry too much about the missing jumper. Most of the factory jumpers are brass (or even worse, steel) under the plating. You're almost certainly better off with any decent copper speaker wire as a jumper between the binding posts. Or just go ahead and remove all the jumpers and biwire...
  9. B

LA CL: Sony SS-M7 speakers 500.00

These "ought to be" worth $500, and probably would be if they were better known or didn't say Sony on the front. In the real world though that price is a bit high. The last 4 sets on eBay have gone from only about $300 to $450, with those on the high end of the range including the original Sony...
  10. B

Yamaha NS-1000M ...

Oh Man! I am so jealous. The SS-M7 and NS-1000 are right at the top of my "gotta have" list. Finding them both in one week is just amazing. You lucky dog.:thmbsp: On the SS-M7s there should be two jumpers on each speaker, one connecting the positive side and one connecting the negative side...
  11. B

Thorens TD-160 problem!

The shipping bolts should be completely loose for normal use. If the platter still sits too low then you need to screw the 3 nuts that the suspension springs rest on further up the threaded rods that everything hangs from. You want to screw the 3 nuts up so that you have a roughly equal gap all...
  12. B

Minimus 7 recap

Search is your friend. The crossover schematic has been posted here previously. You'll find it in post #69 of this thread. http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=66858&page=5
  13. B

Update: Pacific NW Gathering March 10th

I'm glad to hear you got out of work Mark, unfortunately I didn't:no: How did it go, and didn't any of you guys take pictures?
  14. B

Can anyone suggest a "high end" iPod based apartment music setup ?

How about one of these? http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2661,CONTENTID=12154
  15. B

Cartridge Breakin Times?

It seems that they do. How long it takes will depend on the cartridge. Some take very little if any time, while others could take up to 40 or 50 hours to really settle in.
  16. B

Sony SS Speakers

Almost all of the Sony speakers for the last 30+ years had model numbers starting with SS. Some were excellent, most weren't. The trick is figuring out which are which.
  17. B

Subwoofer Power Requirements

Unless you've got some kind of exotic ultra high efficiency horn loaded sub, 80 watts isn't going to cut it. You should probably consider 200-300 as a minimum and 500 or more isn't uncommon. Ultra high fidelity isn't really required for a sub amp and the plate amps from PE and other sources work...
  18. B

Which Sony vintage PreAmp?

It sounds like your volume settings are about normal. I normally run the level controls on my 5550 all the way up and just use the volume control on my 5450 or 2000 to set the volume I want. Typically that ends up being right around 12 o'clock or halfway for most of my listening. I did manage...
  19. B

Pro-Ject Debut III (Bad!)

There's no need to have to guess or experiment. This is a well known issue that has been around for probably at least 40 years. There are some very nice turntables around with steel platters (or sub-platters) going back at least to the Thorens TD-124. The simple rule is don't use moving coil...
  20. B

Dial Bulbs for a Sony STR-6800SD

The bulbs are called festoon bulbs and are available at most auto parts stores. Can't help you with the cardboard (or whatever it is) I've been looking for something and haven't found it yet.
  21. B

Tech killed my 6200F!

Ground is ground (more or less) and you should be able to attach the negative lead of your meter at pretty much any ground point on the chassis or PCB your checking. Unless otherwise stated in the SM voltages are usually spec'ed with no input signal and no load on the outputs. Surrounding...
  22. B

AT440MLa versus OM20 versus 10x5 (all on an Xpression)

I read the same threads at the Asylum but I didn't see the same consensus you did lplover. Although one poster did say that he prefered the 440 MLa because of it's tracking ability, it seemed that most of the others thought the 10x5 was the better sounding cartridge overall. I think one of...
  23. B

Analog to Vinyl VS. Digital to Vinyl.

Just like there were good and bad analog masters, the same holds true for digital masters. Some are great and some definitely are not. One other digitally mastered LP that jumps to mind as very good is Joe Jackson's Body and Soul. There are of course many others but these are a few examples of...
  24. B

Best speakers under $10,000

How about Vandersteen Quatros new or a pair of lightly used 5As.
  25. B

Why Reel To Reel? What's the Appeal?

It's the hood ornament for my equipment rack.
Back
Top Bottom