Search results

1. R

MC240 Troubleshooting

Will try all. Thanks
  2. R

MC240 Troubleshooting

Good Morning, I may have problem with my restored 240. Amp was in steady use for the past few months. I changed speakers on Saturday, and moved from the 16ohm taps to the 4ohm taps. I use the common brass standoffs to allow for banana plug wire connections, and made sure that +/- wires and...
  3. R

Linn LP12 Owners Thread

LP12 / Cirkus / Ittok LVII / Linn Platter / Linn Springs / Mober Inner Platter / Stack Serene top, bottom plates, chassis, arm board / Mose Hercules II PS / Flutted Plinth / 3rd party arm cable. Previously used a full Valhalla spec table. Sonic differences after upgrade were readily...
  4. R

B&K Model 747 Tube Tester Calibration Issue - Meter Bridge Balance

Who can repair and calibrate a BK 747, and Hickok testers ?
  5. R

Japanese Luxman Lux-Kit MQ series amplifiers

I see a lot of Japanese spec Luxman Lux-Kit MQ series amplifiers on the various sale sites. Prices seem to be in the $1000-$1700 range for amplifiers in good working condition. While some may be put off by the need for an AC matching transformer, this really is or should not be an issue. (I...
  6. R

MAC 225 and 240 Output Tube Rolling

Hello, I have restored MAC 225 and 240 amps. The 225 is currently running a quad of vintage wafer plate 7591 that tested OK when installed. The 240 is currently running recent JJ 6L6GC tubes (red print dimple top tubes). I am curious to know what others are running in their amps. How are...
  7. R

MAC 240 input question

I normally connect my line in cables to the stereo jacks which I understand are designed to accept 2v input voltage. I do not use the Twin jacks. However I was listening to my 240 but noticed I hade to turn gain up on my preamp to get to the same approximate level as when using my 225 and...
  8. R

Denon DL103M, the other fantastic 103

I use a SS Ruby Level rebuilt 103D. Ruby cantilever and line point stylus. Heaven. I suspect the sound quality is due to the SS installed changes, making it closer to your 103M. I just acquired a Denon 103 modified for mono operation- one coil removed, and remaining coil re oriented for...
  9. R

MC225 prepurchase question

The amp in question looks closer to a new retro design amp than a classic amp that was meticulously restored. It would not surprise me if a new 225 produced by McIntosh would look similar to the amp in question. Is that good or bad ? Well many believe that the new MC275 and C22 do not sound...
  10. R

Marantz Model 1 Preamps

$6500 or less for this package is a great deal in my opinion.
  11. R

Harman-Kardon Citation V tube amplifier ?

2022 Threshold for receiving a 1099K from Ebay is $600. If he sells this Cit V for $1000 on Ebay, he will receive a 1099. Threshold until 12/31/21 was $20k in sales or more than 200 transactions.
  12. R

Fisher 480A and 490T Console Pull

The power supply of the amp was designed to provide power to the Tuner/Preamp via an umbilical cord. The PS will have to be modified to use the amp as a stand alone stereo amplifier. The amplifier will sound great within limitation. Do not expect deep bass or extended treble. Midrange is...
  13. R

What is the best all around Vintage Turntable?

Rebuilt Rek O Cut with a Jelco Arm Rebuilt Fairchild with a modern Arm Restored AR-XA with the technics/pioneer arm tube modification, and a Shure MM cartridge Restored Thorens TD 160, with a Rega arm, running a Denon 103r cartridge (specs say it should not be good match, but it is) Rega P3 with...
  14. R

Best Vintage Preamp

Audio Research SP-10 MKII is very well regarded for a reason. Quiet, powerful, extended...all of the virtues you would want or expect. Phono section accommodates 2 TT, and has switchable cartridge loading. This preamp delivers a wonderfully wide and deep soundstage, with pinpoint imaging and...
  15. R

Best Vintage Preamp

I used a Hafler DH101 a long time ago, and I still have the unit. It was upgraded by Musical Concepts, with better power supply and circuit caps. I was able to compare my unit to a stock 101 and mine sounded much better from top to bottom. Less glare, with better definition and clarity...
  16. R

Vintage Luxman vs modern Marantz

I just picked up a Luxman MA88 / CL38 combo. Both were limited production, Japanese sale only components, to commemorate Luxman's 75th anniversary. The MA88 is a KT88 mono block pair, delivering about 45wpc. The CL38 is a line level only tube preamp. This is a recent purchase, and I am...
  17. R

Looking for advice around building a turntable-focused system with MC275 at core MC

McIntosh MX110Z + MC240 could be purchased for about $6-7000 / fully restored. A restored Thorens TT for about $1000, a $500 or so MM cartridge, and about $2000 for speakers. Total cost will be about $10k, and you will have a system that will outlive you and deliver exquisite sound.
  18. R

Harman-Kardon Citation V tube amplifier ?

An Ebay buyer may be willing to pay $1000 for this amplifier. Then the seller would be subject to Ebay and PayPal fees, and receiving a 1099k to establish the sale as taxable income. Then the seller would have to pack and ship with sufficient integrity to ensure the amplifier is delivered in...
  19. R

What does everyone own for tube gear!

Steve, what are your thoughts regarding how the sound, and in comparison to other well regarded vintage amplifiers ? I have been able to listen for about 4hrs now, and I am hearing some impressive things so far. The amps were dead quiet and barely warm to the touch after 4hrs ! Thank you.
  20. R

What does everyone own for tube gear!

RS Steve, That is quite a collection of amps listed in your post. Your collection exceeds mine (should be in my profile). I brought your post forward because I recently purchased a Luxman MA88/CL38 combo with original boxes and literature. I do not have schematics, and the composite bases...
  21. R

6BG6 Tubes in a Mac 240 and other 6L6GC amplifiers ?

I have a restored Mac 240 and I am currently using a used but well testing quad of 6L6GC tubes. I would like to have replacement tubes on hand for this amp and others. I have read that the 6bg6 is an electrically compatible substitution when a base adapter is used. Is anyone using this tube...
  22. R

Augusta GA Scott Tuner large vintage Fisher speakers, Marantz amp & pre?

Currently $500+ with several hrs before auction closes. Marantz 7T and Marantz 15....this is where the value lies in this sale.....
  23. R

Your First Serious and Current attempt at High End Audio!

In my case probably an evolution. I started with an Emerson tube console inherited from my mother. It had a portable speaker inside the cabinet, connected to about 20ft of wire, that could be placed across the room for wiiiiiddde stereo. Non descript 8track am fm receiver and BIC low end TT...
  24. R

Restored Heathkit W5-M Reliability?

I have a pr of restored W5 amps. Full restoration- all new parts, and PIO caps. They sound unremarkable in the sense that they do not call attention to themselves, and have no discernible sonic character. They sound natural. I initially thought that bass response was lacking, then a deep...
  25. R

Another Ultra Sonic Cleaning Test

I use the 6L tank pictured, along with a vinyl stacker 3x attachment to allow for cleaning of 3 LPs at a time. I have to carefully position the LPs in the tank but final result is outstanding. My setup is about 3.5yrs old. I preclean using a SpinClean, then a US bath using Rushton's formula...
Back
Top Bottom