Search results

1. billinkansas

Fisher 100T MPX hookup

I have a 100T Coronet preceiver and a Pilot MPX adaptor. Unfortunately, my 100T is early production without the MPX input jacks. Is there a way to feed the MPX ‘ed signal to the dummy plug socket? I would have no idea what the pinout would be on the socket. Thanks in advance!
  2. billinkansas

500C Power Tube Woes

I have a near mint 500C that was restored by Terry DeWick about 10 years ago. It has sounded great until Christmas Eve last year when a JJ power tube blew out on the left side and shortly after another one on the right side. I am now using the two old remaining JJ's on one side and a new JJ...
  3. billinkansas

New Mac Owner

Hey gang. I used to post here - have been a quiet lurker for a while. Just bought my organ teacher's Mcintosh equipment that I remember loving so much back in the '70's. C26 preamp, MR73 tuner and MC2105 amp. Preamp is unusable due to pops and crackles, tuner and amp work but both need...
  4. billinkansas

Yamaha Pro Gear, good sound for home audio?

Question for the Yamaha'ers and others ... I have a chance to buy a Yamaha pro power amp P2150 at a good price. How does the sound of the Yamaha pro amps compare to something like the M or MX series power amps? I am looking to power some Martin Logan Clarity speakers. Thanks much in...
  5. billinkansas

College Bowl Wins

Rock Chalk Jayhawk! AND Hail to the Victors! How about that, both of my teams won their bowl games this year.
  6. billinkansas

Volume control for EL84 amps

Hey Guys, I have a couple of sweet EL84 power amps. I’d like to put Alps or Alps-type volume control pots on them. One is a PP Grundig NF2, and the other is a little Magnavox SE. What Ώ type would be best for these amps? Thanks!
  7. billinkansas

Anyone know where I can get one of these caps?

Anyone know where I can get these? The # is mkp-fc47nFj 1000 v= They are in a Grundig NF2 EL84 console amp - I damaged one of them with a soldering iron. Thanks in advance.
  8. billinkansas

Shipping promptness - some sellers just don't get it!

Begin rant: I am so tired of these stinkbay sellers who wait a week or more to ship an item. Note to sellers: If you are going to be away when the auction ends, don't schedule the auction at that time. Or, do what I have done several times - take the item with you and ship it from...
  9. billinkansas

Sony ST-S730ES vs. Kenwood KT-8300

Looking for a bit of advice here from you vintage tuner guys. I have both a Sony ST-S730ES and a Kenwood KT-8300. Both tuners are stock and both sound really good, although I think that the Kenwood is a bit out of alignment. I listen a lot with headphones, so quiet low-noise reception is as...
  10. billinkansas

Technology - what will they think of next?

I'm saving up for one of these.
  11. billinkansas

Magnavox SE EL84 question - hum

Hey Maggie fans and experts: I have a little console amp, SE EL84 which sounds absolutely fantastic. I use it with headphones through 50 ohm resistors, and I can hear a slight hum. I can't hear it through speakers, but the headphones seem more sensative to this. Is there a choke that can...
  12. billinkansas

"INS" setting on Sony tuner

Hey guys, I picked up a Sony ST-5130 tuner recently. It has an on-off switch for INS. What is INS? It sounds bad with it on. Thanks in advance.
  13. billinkansas

Boy Bands?

Boy Bands? Has my teenage daughter hijacked this forum?
  14. billinkansas

Fisher 500C dial glass cleaning - my experience

Decided to clean up my 2nd Fisher 500C during a KU basketball radio broadcast - the KU radio guys are outstanding and its fun to do projects during the games. Thought I'd try to do a nice thorough job on it. Figured if I screwed it up, I do have a spare junker 500C parts unit with a good dial...
  15. billinkansas

Tough Guys

I'm rather impressed with some of the recent aviti changes here, most noteably Tentoze and Gyusher. Looks like I might have to give up the Fisher dove for something more manly.
  16. billinkansas

Yamaha NS-690’s, tweeter exchange and crossover mods

Hey Guys, I’ve got a pair of Yamaha NS-690’s that I bought almost new in 1977, been using them regularly all this time. These are the single hookup version of the NS-690, not the tri-amp version. They’ve always sounded smooth and wonderful to me, but I’ve had a craving for just a little...
  17. billinkansas

Amplifier hum- going nuts

I have an amplifier “hum” problem that I can’t seem to figure out. Here’s what I have running: An unrestored Fisher X-100-C tube amp in fine original condition – no hum whatsoever no matter what is hooked to it in any configuration. Just wonderful. A restored Fisher 400 tube receiver –...
  18. billinkansas

Why do most film scores sound soooo good??

I’ve become a big fan of film scores. My favorite time of the week is Sat. night when Kansas Public Radio does a film score program, which I have on now as I type this. The recording techniques must be a bit different than with standard symphonic orchestral fare, as the soundstage is usually...
  19. billinkansas

Kansas City area-Philly, back thru OH & Chicago

Here's my schedule: Leave Lawrence KS Monday, Nov. 28, about 9:00 AM or so Travel thru St Louis, Indy, Dayton, Columbus, past Pittsburgh, Reading, end in Philly area Tuesday late afternoon. Could take passenger going East. Many appointments coming back thru PA, OH, MI, really can't have...
  20. billinkansas

Vintage bliss with Telfunkens - others?

I run a Fisher X-100-C in my home office (my peaceful abode away from wifelike and other non-audio disturbances). I have some ok Yamaha speakers in there, but most of my listening is done with Sennheiser HD-650 headphones. A few days ago, I pulled all six of the Sylvania 12AX7's and rolled in...
  21. billinkansas

DVD Audio

Hey Guys, I'm going to look into a new CD machine, probably a DVD player. Some models will play DVD audio CDs. I'd like to not spend a fortune, maybe $300-$400 or so if I can get something that sounds good. Don't know if it's worth getting one with DVD audio capability. :scratch2: Does...
  22. billinkansas

Great vintage FM in KS, available for streaming

For you vintage FM fans, check out the University of Kansas Saturday evening lineup available for streaming on the web. I have such a blast every Saturday with these proprams. www.kpr.ku.edu 7-9 PM The Retro Cocktail Hour 50's 60's little heard stuff, crime jazz :smoke: , TV & Radio...
  23. billinkansas

KC Head-Fi

Hey KC area guys that are into headphones- There is a Head-Fi meet in the works for either next Saturday, or the following. Watch the Head-Fi thread for KC meet. BK
  24. billinkansas

Low end Sansui tuner sounds great!

Hey Sansui guys, I have a T-60 tuner, bottom of the line from the late '70s, early 80's? I got it from a guy on GeekBay for $5.00. I was embarrassed to win it so cheap, so I told him he could relist it if he wanted to. He said he wanted it gone and he was going to pitch it out. I told him...
  25. billinkansas

Electro-Harmonix tubes for Fisher

Hey tube guys, I just had my Fisher 500C serviced by a technician. He went over the whole unit and installed a new quad of Electro Harmonix 7591A output tubes. The thing sounds pretty good, but it doesn’t have the quite bottom or the rich mids that it did with the old Fisher tubes. Here’s...
Back
Top Bottom