Search results

1. doodle6

Luxman sound quality difference R-1040/1050/1070 vs R113/114/115

I've had had all of those you inquired about, and I think the best value of them is the R-115. Lots of power, great Luxman house sound, and reliability is good. The only strike against it is looks. The R-1xxx series is absolutely gorgeous, especially if your rosewood case is in good shape...
  2. doodle6

My Problem with Luxmans R series

I've owned all of the R-10XX models from the 1040 to 1120, and most of the black plague-era stuff. I owned four of the R-117s at one point, but I'm down to one working example of that model. Plus several R-113s, R-114s and R-115s. That black series has been much less reliable for me, well, at...
  3. doodle6

Sanyo (Ultrx R35)

I have an R55 model, bought for mother-in-law at the recommendation of Consumer Reports in 1985 or so. In their tests, it was a top performer. I had followed an earlier CR recommendation and bought a Heathkit AR1500 (that was still in use until four or five years ago. The Ultrx is a really...
  4. doodle6

AUSTIN & SURROUNDING AREA - AUDIOPHILES

Living room systems
  5. doodle6

Looks like this thread is too sclerotic to handle a quick plan, so I think I’ll just pick a date that suits me best and hold it open for a listening session here in Lampasas. Anyone who’s interested can contact me at 972-822-4261. Currently have the following speakers set up: JBLs - Control...
  6. doodle6

The weather has improved so let’s see if we can arrange a workable meeting time. I’m willing to host but I’m in Lampasas, a little more than an hour northwest of Austin. I have about a dozen pairs of speakers set up at the moment…
  7. doodle6

What's your latest audio purchase?

Akitika PR102 and Elekit TU8600S Great little setup to run my Heathkit AS-101 speakers. First time I've owned an SET amp, this one with Western Electric 300B tubes. Man o man!!
  8. doodle6

Well, maybe that’s a complete fabrication. But it COULD be the tradition if someone wanted to start it…. Any takers?
  9. doodle6

What’s your setup like and how hospitable are you? The tradition is that the newest member hosts everyone to a big barbecue at their home. What time do we start?
  10. doodle6

Need refurb on Denon DP 55K

I’m sorry to say it, but physical deterioration of owner mandates third party involvement in reversing physical deterioration of turntable. Yup, I’m officially too old, too feeble, too blind to undertake service on my beloved DP 55K Denon turntable. Is there anyone around who services these...
  11. doodle6

Chronology of Speakers you've owned?

Have you considered the Project Array 1400? Those have a more modest footprint and sound awesome!
  12. doodle6

Good speakers, those. All three of the Bostons in that tower line, the T830, T930, and T1000 (later T1030) were about as much bang for the buck as any speakers I've owned, particularly if you buy used. I still have a pair of T-1030 in our bedroom, moved in there when wife's walker kept banging...
  13. doodle6

Things you don't see anymore.

5/7/1953 Atomic bomb mushroom cloud seen from the Old Frontier Village in Las Vegas with spec …
  14. doodle6

Is the Boston a T1000 or T1030?
  15. doodle6

Agree completely with those observations. Studio2s do the same. After hearing them, I picked up a pair of Salon2s. They’re great, but no match for the dynamics of the big JBLs. I listen to both about equally.
  16. doodle6

Things you don't see anymore.

the bank we banked at was so small... how small was it? Customers might be just numbers, but we’re single digits.
  17. doodle6

How do you compare the Salon2 and the M2?
  18. doodle6

What's your latest audio purchase?

Dynaco ST-70, pristine, with factory box. Dead stock. Tech is replacing out of spec resistors, caps. NOS EL34s, 7199s, etc. but NO mods. Will be reference standard for that amp, and combined with a pair of A25s that have never been hooked up. (Yet). A seller tossed in a pair of unopened A25...
  19. doodle6

Equipment you feel is super underrated?

JBL L-220 speakers - one of the most underrated, along with the L-110. Boston Acoustics T-1030. Scott S-10 and S-11. Luxman R-113. Lower end Heathkit receivers from the ‘70s - even the low powered, simple receivers sounded fine.
  20. doodle6

I’ve been at it again, myself. We’ve been living in a travel trailer for a couple of years and had to have small speakers as a consequence, so I added Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2, Elac 5ub, ProAc Response 2s, Revel M106, BMR Philharmonitors. Man o man, very impressive performance from small...
  21. doodle6

List ‘em so we don’t have to revisit all 22 pages!
  22. doodle6

Calling all Texans

Then stayed out of the heat and humidity
  23. doodle6

Calling all Texans

Instead, wife went to veterinary school at TAMU
  24. doodle6

Calling all Texans

Had a hiccup with registering after half a day, then bailed out because of the humidity
  25. doodle6

Calling all Texans

Yeah, years ago, we signed up for masters degrees at UH. Got all of our ducks in a row, then went down to register.
Back
Top Bottom