Search results

1. mrwasabihead

VSP Labs Trans Mos Gold Series amp measurements

And now for a rather startling (to me) piece of information about Mr. Velazquez. About 2 1/2 years ago a friend informed me about an estate sale in,...you guessed it, Saline, MI. - where there was apparently a lot of electronics equipment. I was, I think, the first one there. There was quite a...
  2. mrwasabihead

I think I remember your thread and the trouble you were having getting the output transistors de-soldered from the double sided amp board. The pins on my amp's output transistors are connected with wires soldered to the pins. Must be an earlier board. Probably a bit easier than dealing with a...
  3. mrwasabihead

A "White whale" indeed, Sir. Arrr! But I'll do me best.
  4. mrwasabihead

Greetings, I purchased a VSP Labs Gold Series Trans Mos amp a while back and luckily it's in pretty decent cosmetic and functional shape. I started looking for technical info on this unit, but like most, found little. At this point I'd like to mention a little about the designer of this amp -...
  5. mrwasabihead

Yamaha CA-1000III Repair

Hey Josh, that Yamaha is a really nice integrated amp and if it's going to be your first foray into the world of restoration and repair it may be a bit of a heavy lift. I only say that because this kind of stuff isn't really as simple as it may at first seem. Unless you either have prior...
  6. mrwasabihead

A Quantum 3 Restoration Begun!

Thank you for your input and assistance with this and other projects. I really appreciate you, and everyone here on AK!
  7. mrwasabihead

Well, it's been about 3 months but I'm pretty much done. As I mentioned above, while considering the 4 Ohm question and after speaking with a friend about AC and DC impedance, I decided to reread the manual for my LCR meter, an EXTECH 380193. It turns out that my LCR meter does "parallel" and...
  8. mrwasabihead

Hey Yamaholic, I still have the original batting in the cabs - I didn't replace that stuff. But one Mid-Bass coupler had a kind of fiberglass insulation behind it and the other one had nothing. So I got some rock wool for both Mid-Bass coupler cavities. I've got the wiring behind the woofers zip...
  9. mrwasabihead

Hey, seifreit, I was wondering if you ever got around to measuring the DC resistance of your Infinitys? I'm curious what reading you might get and what model you have. Thanks!
  10. mrwasabihead

That's exactly why I went after the entire cabs. There were water rings on top of both speakers that had be be sanded out. The rest were OK but they just didn't exactly pop. And since there's no time limit on this resto I decided to go all the way. It's a lot of "extra" work but worth it in the...
  11. mrwasabihead

Wow! Those do look nice. And that custom mouse pad is truly awesome as well. I've just about got one speaker done. Sanded, stained, oiled, driver compartments sealed everything checked and being re-assembled. I'll post pics of some of the restoration soon. I might have to ask for info on that...
  12. mrwasabihead

Right you are! I'll remedy this in the future and I think I can understand this arrangement. But right now they're so heavy that I think I'll need a friend to help me lift 'em up onto a table for disassembly and further cab work! The European slick says they're 35 Kilo ea. But I'm thinking that...
  13. mrwasabihead

Well, I'm super pissed about that Lions / Dallas game (..don't get me started!) but I'm super happy about the Q3's! I spoke with a friend at Muse Audio in Ann Arbor, MI (shameless plug) and he went and measured the impedance at the speaker terminals on a pair of Q2's and they came in at 900K. So...
  14. mrwasabihead

OK, the temporary re-assembly is complete! I took resistance measurements at the speaker terminals of the second speaker and it came in at 1.6M Ohm. 400K Ohm less than the first. It seems that adjustments in any of the three pots has little effect on the over all measured impedance of the...
  15. mrwasabihead

I finished re-assembling one last night and took a reading with a regular DVM. It was 1.7M Ohm! It freaked me out for a second but when I went back to the schematic I thought that something similar to what you described above might be the cause. I really wish a super mega-cool, speaker crossover...
  16. mrwasabihead

So I'm starting the test rebuild tonight and upon looking at the schematic I'm kind of wondering what sort of reading I should get from the speaker terminals once they're back together. The crossover schematic and build of this speaker is unlike anything I've done before so I'm wondering if it...
  17. mrwasabihead

Oh, my, God! I don't know how I missed that. I did pull up the gasket but somehow missed that ever-lovin' red dot! Thanks much, seifreit. You've saved me from another case of temporary bench blindness! :cool:
  18. mrwasabihead

Well, the Christmas holiday is in the rear view mirror so time to get moving again. As mentioned above, two of the original pots just didn't want to stabilize and I had thought of bypassing them with a 2.5 Ohm 25W resistor - that was before I decided to try for a solution one more time. You've...
  19. mrwasabihead

Well, things are moving along. I've replaced the surrounds that I installed on the two woofers about 8 years ago (..one developed a rub while sitting all this time) and things turned out fine - although it was without a doubt a nail-biting endeavor. I had originally planned on just replacing the...
  20. mrwasabihead

I couldn't find a 25W version on their site either. There is a slight difference in the power handling of the RSIII and the Q3; the RSIII is rated, I believe, at 30 to 200W - and the Q3 is rated 60 - 250W. Hence my concern about the 10W difference between the pots that came in the Q3 (25W) and...
  21. mrwasabihead

I'm wondering if anyone here on AK honestly knows how they figured, or how to figure, the wattage requirement for these pots. If a 25 W rheostat isn't really required, that may widen the range of viable replacement options to include devices that are actually available. I don't necessarily see a...
  22. mrwasabihead

Thanks Mark - I haven't given much thought as to why 25W rheostats were used in the Q3's but maybe someone can chime in with an explanation of why the tweets and the mids require (if they do) such beefy pots. I assume that your RSIII's are doing fine with the 15 watt pots from Jaycar. It's...
  23. mrwasabihead

Rheostats (Pots): Although the (3) 5 Ohm 25W rheostats for each crossover are on the "control board" I've dedicated a special section to them since they were a separate ordeal all-together : ) All of the rheostats were in kind of bad shape, and finding replacements that don't come from China is...
  24. mrwasabihead

Greetings, AK'ers! I've had these Infinity Quantum 3 speakers staring at me from the shop wall for at least 8 years now, and being the "Damn the torpedos" kind of guy that I am, I've decided that their time has come. 95% of the repairs and restorations I've done never make it to the pages of AK...
  25. mrwasabihead

Aragon 8008 (ST) repair/servicing

It would be great if that is the case. This has been one of the most physically involved repairs I've ever done next to something like a 9090db and such. I've got a pair of JBL L65's that are itchin' to get fed by this thing so I'll keep burning it in for a few days to see what happens...
Back
Top Bottom