Search results

1. SubWolfer

Nakamichi RX-505 Restoration Needed

I have had this deck for probably 20 years. Bought it off eBay back in the early 2000s. Has been in storage for at least ten years and everything worked before I stored her in a closet in the basement. But not anymore. Powers on, but doesn't play. So I have a buddy who's quite mechanically...
  2. SubWolfer

Wife wants old speakers gone! What to do?

I have an old set of Bozak speakers that are currently stored in my wife's mother's garage and I was told they need to go. They worked the last time I hooked them up but that was about 10 years ago. I think they say 302A URBAN on the back. The veneer is worn and there's some chips in the wood...
  3. SubWolfer

Plastic Stem broke off In Tube Socket

While I was moving my amp I accidentally caused one of the tubes to become dislodged. When I went to remove it, the stem in the center that guides the tube in the proper orientation broke off and part of it is still in the socket. It's one of four large tubes that look identical so I assume...
  4. SubWolfer

Speaker Suggestions for EL-34 20-watt Integrated Tube Amp?

Just wanted to ask for some suggestions. I have a MastersounD integrated tube amp, got it about 8 years ago. It's 20 watt and has taps for 4 and 8 Ohms. Right now I have a pair of Triangle Titus XS mini-bookshelf speakers and they sound pretty good, just not on certain types of music. Like...
  5. SubWolfer

Sub connection help/advice needed

So I was looking at how to connect the sub I own into my system. It's made by SVS, model SB12-NSD. I have a nice sounding integrated tube amp but it only has four line inputs and no pre-amp outputs. So I've seen there's subs by REL and other manufacturers that have High-level connections. It...
  6. SubWolfer

Bent cantilever. Can I just bend it back?

Hauled my VPI Scout table out of storage today. Got it all connected and noticed the cantilever on the Dynavector 10x5 cart is bent towards the right. Kind of looks bent downward too. Must have somehow bumped into the platter with the arm down but I don't see how I could have done this. The arm...
  7. SubWolfer

Advice for integrated tube amp that's been in storage

Back in 2010 I bought a pretty nice integrated tube amp. Liked it a lot but then had acquired some mono amps and the tube amp was put away. I covered it in plastic to keep out dust and it's probably been stored for at least 5 years or more. It's a Mastersound Due Venti S.E. So being as it's...
  8. SubWolfer

P-300 - Is This Normal?

Bought a really nice Accuphase P-300 in excellent shape about a year ago. I know I should have it re-capped but don't know of anyone local that works on these amps. It works perfect and sounds great, except it makes a noticeable "click" a second or two after it's powered on. Is it normal for...
  9. SubWolfer

Is this JVC turntable worth a Benjamin?

Not too far from me and looks in decent shape. Looks like it says QL-A7 on the top. Decent deal? http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/ele/5967124746.html
  10. SubWolfer

Stepdown Converter for Japanese Turntable

So I seen a Japanese made turntable at a friend of a friends house last week and it was quite old, yet worked well. But the guy was using a stepdown converter because according to him, it wasn't meant to be used outside of Japan. I liked the looks of the table and thought of asking if he'd be...
  11. SubWolfer

Does anyone NOT like Emotiva Stealth 8 powered speakers?

Every review or comment I've read about these speakers makes them sound like they're the answer to audio nirvana. I've been thinking about trying them with their holiday sale but for some reason I keep hesitating. I think just the fact that they're designed as studio monitors and self powered...
  12. SubWolfer

Placing stereo components in front of a window

I was thinking about re-arranging my living room and thought of maybe putting my stereo in front of my big picture window. The table/stand for my stereo is rather low so it wouldn't really block the window much and the only thing sitting on top would be my turntable and maybe my preamp. But I'm...
  13. SubWolfer

NOT one of those thrift store deals, but rate my turntable purchase anyway

I read about the screaming deals that some guys score but I never seem to get that lucky and my trips to thrift stores have been nothing but a waste of time. Except once, I bought a cool old lamp. Anyway, I've been wanting one of these tables for a long time to get back into vinyl and when I...
  14. SubWolfer

How Well Do These Things Work?

I just purchased this turntable today. It's an old table but seems to be in excellent condition for its age. Its a Technics SL-110A and it has a brush mounted to it that is supposed to clear dust and reduce static. I was wondering if anyone knows much about these and if it helps much or not. I...
  15. SubWolfer

MX110 tuner problem

I recently bought a MX110 in excellent cosmetic condition. I probably paid too much but I didn't want to buy one in rough condition. So I hooked up to my CD player to the Aux input and it plays fine and sounds very nice. But when I play the tuner I noticed it cutting out on one channel and also...
  16. SubWolfer

Spendor Classic 1/2 speakers

I have a local seller willing to sell me his Spendor Classic 1/2 speakers with home-made stands for $600. I have no idea how old they are but I would guess at least 10 years? Here's the ad. Is this a good deal if they're indeed in good condition as he states? I tried researching them...
  17. SubWolfer

Should I buy this Benz Glider?

Hey guys, I've been wanting a Benz Glider for sometime now to mate with my VPI Scout. I've had Dynavector carts and they sound great but I just had the desire to try something new and like what I've read about the Benz Glider. Well as you know its rather pricey and I been watching for a deal...
  18. SubWolfer

Sure Way To Tell If Record Is Mono?

Oh boy, I know I might catch some heat for this one! :o I recently snagged an LP off eBay and now that I look closely, I don't see the word "monaural" or "stereo" anywhere. The LP is on Imperial Records# 9297, an original 1965 release by JIMMY McCracklin and its entitled "Think" which is...
  19. SubWolfer

VPI Scout to the Classic - Significant Upgrade?

I have a VPI Scout I bought used. I got a good deal on it but had my share of difficulties with setup and such in the beginning as this was my first nice TT. Well I've been bitten by the upgrade bug and I recently upgraded my phono preamp to a PS Audio GCPH (which made a major difference)...
  20. SubWolfer

Tactics For Buying and Snagging Deals on Audiogon

I'm sure that anyone who has been looking for specific items and browsed Audiogon has noticed that rare finds and good deals get sold extremely fast. Unlike eBay where you have a shot if you're willing to put up the bucks to outbid everyone else, Audiogon classifieds are similar to Craigslist in...
  21. SubWolfer

Buying Records on Budget Reissue Labels

Lately I've been into acquiring oldies type music from the 50's and 60's as it seems they're mostly only available on vinyl. Also, I kind of have this thing where I would prefer to buy music on vinyl especially when that's the only format its available on. In other words if its available on both...
  22. SubWolfer

Help Needed: Vandersteen 2Wq subs not compatible w/amps

Well, I'm not sure if I'm in the correct forum but since this has to do with system integration and connectivity, I reckon I'm in the right place. I'm really having some issues and I'll cut right to the chase. I have a pair of Vandersteen 2Wq subs and a set of the Vandy M5-HP balanced...
  23. SubWolfer

Installing Balanced XLR inputs on a Tube Amp

I see some power amps have both RCA and XLR inputs, even though the entire circuit isn't fully differential. So if a power amp only has single-ended RCA input jacks, is it much of a job to install balanced XLR input jacks as an after-market add-in? Or could one just perhaps replace the RCA jack...
  24. SubWolfer

Advice on Long Interconnect Runs

I'm planning on moving my system into a larger room and although I'm still unsure of exactly how I'm going to set things up, and whether I'll end up selling certain pieces and integrating any new components into the system, it's beginning to look like I may need to do some longer runs of cables...
  25. SubWolfer

Electro Voice SH-1502ER - What would you do with them?

I got a pair of Electro Voice PA speakers. Here's the specs. They're model # SH-1502ER which are horn loaded cabinets with 15" drivers. They're pretty large and heavy. I doubt they'd sound good for use in a stereo system and they have 1/4" input jacks so I don't think stereo use would make much...
Back
Top Bottom