Search results

1. macyjrm

AR-2X vs AR-2AX

I’m fortunate enough to have both AR2x and AR3s. The 3s are fabulous and the 2Xs aren’t far behind with new caps and pots. I don’t find them “dark”, but almost as good as the 3s for half the money. So if your budget is limited don’t overlook the AR2 family.
  2. macyjrm

Satellite radio home tuner in 2024. Anybody? Bueller?

Have you tried hooking up the Polk to the satellite antenna and plugging the audio out into your system? An amazing number of those old tuners still receive programming from Sirius/XM. Why, I’m not sure but that’s what I have experienced.
  3. macyjrm

What tickets are in your pocket? (What's the next concert you are headed to?)

Saw the Eagles in New Orleans a couple of weeks ago along with Steely Dan. Fabulous show! Donald Fagen is getting a little long in the tooth but his band is still tight. Standouts among the Eagles were Vince Gill, Joe Walsh, and of course Don Henley.
  4. macyjrm

What is the best AVR in the $350 price range

Costco has the Denon S760h on sale now for $350, regularly $450.
  5. macyjrm

Great Plains Audio Closing !

Your point is totally valid. I’m guessing the Asian market alone might make this type service profitable. Lots of folks in Vietnam, Thailand, Japan, and others are importing Altec goods as fast as they can. Reliable service, however pricey, can help sustain this phenomenon. YouTube is ripe with...
  6. macyjrm

Great Plains Audio Status - Anyone with Factual Information?

So I assume this means operations are suspended until a complete transfer is in effect? Is this correct?
  7. macyjrm

Do we (AK) have any members in the OKC area who could drop by the GPA location and try to gather some intel on this rumor? The address is listed on GPAs website.
  8. macyjrm

Hopefully more credible information about this change will be released soon, particularly about the new location and ownership. Besides the Altec/EV fans here in the USA there is a significant number of overseas folks (especially Asia) concerned about future support of their cherished systems.
  9. macyjrm

cleanin dirty pins

I use a small brass brush with a handle on it.
  10. macyjrm

Rectifier for this RCA EL84 amp console pull?

I have one and the rectifier in mine is a 5Y3GT. Sweet little SE amp. If I recall correctly the chassis is a RS-190 something.
  11. macyjrm

Acoustic Research AR 1 advice needed

Oh, and congrats on finding an icon of loudspeaker history! Quite the find.
  12. macyjrm

Fx Fargo series

Totally agree. That’s why I’m waiting for all episodes to be released before binging them on HULU.
  13. macyjrm

Favorite tv character!

Dr Richard Kimble as portrayed by David Janssen.
  14. macyjrm

Vintage Jensen coaxial question. What the heck is this thingy?

Throw in a modest subwoofer and you will probably have the best sounding speakers in your entire neighborhood. I have a pair of very similar Jensens and will likely take exactly the sam path you are on.
  15. macyjrm

Barter town

Another solid benefit in my opinion is Barter Town is populated by folks who mostly aren’t jerks compared to the general population.
  16. macyjrm

Picked up the last Plasma Panasonic made

I dropped off my last Panny Plasma at the Salvation Army a few years ago. The display was still working just fine but none of the HDMI inputs were functional and I couldn’t find anyone to repair it. My son in law has two circa 2010 Panasonic Plasmas at his house both 100% operational. Didn’t I...
  17. macyjrm

Wolverine (EV) LT-12

I second the glue and coffee filter solution. Have done this on several EV cones, all successful. Baffle size can impact sound quality. I prefer larger baffles to small ones, but even they are at least good. Make them large enough to still be useful (and acceptable if you have a SO). There are...
  18. macyjrm

Wolverine (EV) LT-12

I’m not sure why but I’m guessing the driver couples with the baffle and reinforces the sound produced all across the frequency spectrum. My experience with vintage EV drivers in OB arrangements has been especially satisfying. It’s fun to cobble together some scrap boards and drivers, screw on...
  19. macyjrm

Wolverine (EV) LT-12

Those Wolverines are also perfect drivers for a neat, simple, open baffle setup. Congratulations on a great find.
  20. macyjrm

Sansui 5000X

First step I suggest is requesting a moderator move your post to the dedicated AK Sansui forum where a bunch of serious fans will see your post and hopefully help out.
  21. macyjrm

Fx Fargo series

I saw the first two episodes of season 5 last night. It’s very faithful to the “Coen way” and that’s a good thing. I likely will wait until all the episodes drop so I can binge the rest of them. The tub scene with Jon Hamm and the feds was priceless.
  22. macyjrm

Fx Fargo series

Actually this season which just began is the fifth. And totally agree about the quality of each being exceptional.
  23. macyjrm

Yet another searching for a tube tech thread

I’m flush in both types and agree each has its own set of virtues and vices. But I’m also old enough to recall tube gear from my childhood. Guess it’s a nostalgia thing. Properly running tube gear is hard to beat sound wise.
  24. macyjrm

Sherwood S-8000IV and silly little RCA RS193 SE from a turntable only console.
  25. macyjrm

I have accomplished all the suggestions above except for checking and adjusting bias which is simply confusing to my non tech mind. I do have good tube testers which give me similar (good) results for the tubes in question. My search for a technician extends beyond these immediate problems. For...
Back
Top Bottom