Search results

1. MrGee

"Jesus, Take the spliff"

"Jesus, Take the spliff"
  2. MrGee

Looking for DAC to use with vintage system

I have been using a Topping D50 now for months. Not sure HOW they got a Sabre to do what this little box does...but they did. ;) Very much improved from a 10+ Yr old DAC period...unless you own and Elgar or other insane $10K+ monster.
  3. MrGee

$15 Radio Shack Amp that kicks - the Accurian

I had two of these I took the tone/volume boards out of line on. This was 10 years ago now...I forgot what I did. Anyone have pictures of which cables go where to keep the tone/volume boards intact? I need to re-enable the vol/tone so I can ship it to my niece in Chicago. ******UPDATE****** I...
  4. MrGee

Article: "10 biggest lies in audio". Thoughts?

No flame wars, but one thing this author seems to have poorly expressed is the "golden ear" comments. Hearing is all over the place. Some people are able to hear flyback transformers in CRT's. The ear canal and the shape of the ear drum varies from person to person and can also have a huge...
  5. MrGee

Chassis clamps

Anyone here ever try the gear racks that you can tighten against the chassis of your components? Have you noticed any changes in the sound? Decoupling from the pre to the amps specifically, I would like to find someone who experimented with this. What were the results?
  6. MrGee

Emotiva ?

I am very pleased with my XDA-1. It is the best digital system pre/dac for the money on the planet. There is better out there once you get in the 2500 range, but up to that range, I hear a lot of opinion that I cannot justify with my own ears. PS I agree with the comment about emo getting a...
  7. MrGee

Favorite "Ultra low budget" memory??

The other day, I was talking to Mrs Gee about our trip to Virginia years ago in the Chevy Citation. (Don't laugh, that thing was TOUGH and got 30+MPG in large family of four comfort) Anyway, one of the early Alpine cassette transports from a loaded Accord of the era provided the front end, and...
  8. MrGee

Vinyl recording

The software that removes clicks and pops does things to the fidelity I am not prepared to live with. I will deal with occasional click/pop if it is super well recorded. (If you are transcribing your vinyl, dont you want to clean the things as perfectly as possible to make the best copy...
  9. MrGee

Year of the Cat

Almost Lucy is an imaging wonderland!
  10. MrGee

Repair, or something new?

What I mean Chris, is I can buy a working used unit for less than they want to repair mine.
  11. MrGee

In searching, I also found this write up. It would seem the balance pots are trouble. What would be wrong with bypassing the balance pot? I never use it. http://commonmode.blogspot.com/2010/02/repairing-adcom-gfp-565-preamplifier.html
  12. MrGee

Thanks for the suggestion, but in this case, I really doubt it is a solder joint. I can actually feel something physically wrong with the pot as it is brought through its range. Thanks for all the replies and the info.
  13. MrGee

Thanks for the replies. I will pull it apart and get the number off the pot. When I looked at it before, it was pretty serious to get at. I can solder okay, I just did not want to screw it up...since this is quite a bit more than a battery wire or speaker lead...and on a favorite piece of gear.
  14. MrGee

My beloved Adcom 565 preamp has finally gotten to the point where it is no longer useable. Something in the pot physically came apart and there is crunching and no signal on one side-until you turn it more than halfway up. I love the phono section in the preamp, but everyone wants too much to...
  15. MrGee

I..don't know what to say (!)

LOL, that makes me remember my friend who showed me, in college dorm splendor...how his old Garrard table, when it would reach a certain spot in the LP, would "line up" and juuuuust grab the local feed up to the college radio station. After a short article about it, they found out the source...
  16. MrGee

Who's listening to FM Tonight? What tuner?

All night, I was listening to various FM pull in's on my Proton AT-670. That in the bedroom system and the Onkyo T-4 in the main room setup. Currently, in the living room, I have this horrible HD thing that sounds worse than the digital feeds at 64K coming in on the Logitech music server...
  17. MrGee

I wonder what speakers people are using with these? The single driver fostex stuff would seem to be natural for this amplifier.
  18. MrGee

Out of the seven I got total, all but one of these are working perfectly. I have to say that when coupled with a powered sub and a Beringher DAC or a music player like the Sansa Fuze (that plays FLACS) this is the cheapest way to make a decent room filling stereo. I have used them to power...
  19. MrGee

yes, the ones i have cut off all below 50hz or so
  20. MrGee

Text is such a pain to deal with. I should have made a doggone video. Looking at it I thought, "well of course they would know to do that." Really though...without really thinking about it, you are right...there would be a soldering iron in my hand from my posting. These amps work great for a...
  21. MrGee

I re-did the little clips inside the connectors and plugged in. No soldering needed. The picture was just for the ease of explanation. :banana:(But I DO get your point now, I was counting on people figuring that out for themselves.):banana:
  22. MrGee

Soldering?? There was no soldering this way. I do not understand what the advantage is to the other post.
  23. MrGee

Tell me about SETs and horns

I must be having issues with my editor on the laptop. There was a fair amount of text that did not make it into my post...twice. The link to the fostex self powered monitors was supposed to have been prefaced with an explanation that if anyone wants to experience 90% of a great SET-flea-rig...
  24. MrGee

one, no, two more thing(s). WAF is usually high, since they tend not to visually overtake a room. Online enthusiasts are among the most helpful and friendly out there. I hope this is what you were looking for...(as in, virtues of SET/flea singles)
  25. MrGee

Less is more. With no crossover, you can't screw it up. Simple amp, fewer components and shorter signal paths. Use supreme gear and it can be done right. One of the main virtues I find with flea power and mini singles is a VERY VERY realistic soundstage. (Not radio shack either) Another good...
Back
Top Bottom