Search results

1. pete_mac

New house, new room, same Sansui

It's been a long time between system updates (circa 2020 to be exact) as life, family and work has taken up a lot of my time and shifted my priorities. I was fortunate to move house just before Christmas and have recently finished setting up my audio gear in the new house. 2 channel Front...
  2. pete_mac

Spotted - three Sansui afficionados in Sydney, Australia

@skippy124 and I had the very great pleasure of meeting the one and only @Hyperion during his visit to Australia. It was absolutely wonderful to put a face to the name and discuss our shared passion and experiences over an amber-coloured beverage. AK is a wonderful on-line community and...
  3. pete_mac

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar owned a G-5000?

Well... maybe not in real life, but in the series "Winning Time - the rise of the Lakers Dynasty" he did! I spotted this a few nights back. Apologies for the picture quality - there's some kind of restriction in place which means I couldn't take screen captures directly via the ipad.
  4. pete_mac

A Sansui engineer's account of Sansui history and a continuation of Sansui's legacy

Hello all, In a recent discussion on the "Sansui Lovers" facebook page, there was discussion on the video of Aqua Audio Lab and the sad death of Mr Yotoke which appears to have resulted in the closure of Aqua Audio Lab, noting that there was no successor to continue the company and to carry the...
  5. pete_mac

Odd volume/output behaviour on and off dim bulb tester - Realistic STA-2000

Hello AKers! I have a Realistic STA-2000 receiver on the bench for troubleshooting. The owner indicated the receiver was playing fine, and then started experiencing some distortion. As per usual, with any newly received piece of gear which is an 'unknown quantity', I initially power it up...
  6. pete_mac

Refoaming woofers on Sansui SP-100i JDM speakers

I have been fortunate to acquire a pair of SP-100i speakers from @Cafad. These puppies are in great overall condition with a few marks here and there (mainly from the screws on the original grilles, which often rub against the enclosure during shipping). When I first received these beasts...
  7. pete_mac

Recovering side panels on AU-alpha 907MR

So, the AU Alpha 907MR was suffering from cracked side panels, as is often the case with late model Alphas that have copped a few bumps. The side panels are a type of MDF which are very smooth and have been finished with some kind of vacuum-formed plastic covering (as opposed to vinyl). It is...
  8. pete_mac

The AU-Alpha 907MR has arrived!

A challenger to the crown has arrived... enter the 907MR! The 907XR still occupies the penthouse in the Tower of Alpha... but for how long??? From the lower levels, the 907DR looks on, biding its time. It is the black sheep of the family... the dark horse that still packs a mighty punch, with...
  9. pete_mac

Sansui SM-A907DL car audio amplifier

Could this be the ultimate car audio amplifier for the true Sansui nutter? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sansui-Reference-Mark-SM-A907DL/153450907519?hash=item23ba63077f:g:IdkAAOSwm79csqgQ&frcectupt=true LAPT outputs, a few Elna Silmics, U-Con polypropylene caps, copper plates to clamp the...
  10. pete_mac

New Gieseler Klein III DAC with Jensen output transformers

Howdy all, A few years back I posted about the Klein DAC which I have thoroughly enjoyed for the past three years: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/gieseler-audio-klein-dac-from-australia.686978/ Prior to the Klein, I was firmly entrenched in audio-gd DAC land, and the original...
  11. pete_mac

Sansui AU-alpha 907XR photos

So much goodness inside this piece of Sansui audio artistry - it's the best sounding Sansui that I've had in my system. Built like a tank at 33kg with copper goodness throughout, including solid copper feet, a 13kg Tamura transformer, Elna Silmic Alpha Gold caps, Silmic filter caps, Riken...
  12. pete_mac

Sansui AU-alpha 907DR pics

Why hello there you saucy wench! 33kg of back-breaking 907DR courtesy of Cafad. Loving the build quality of this beast - Sansui really maintained a high standard for their upper-end JDM gear throughout the 80s and 90s. Details like the Silmic Super Gold filter caps, the solid (heavy!) copper...
  13. pete_mac

Magazine review of AU-417

Hi all, attached below are some PDF'd photos of a review of the Sansui AU-417 undertaken by ETI magazine in Australia, back in 1979. Sorry for the quality and the chopped-off left-hand extremity on some of the original photocopies!
  14. pete_mac

FYI - photobucket users... the party is over

Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this - mods please move if need be! I just noticed that all of my photobucket-hosted images on this forum and elsewhere are no longer visible. Photobucket have now introduced a user-pays system (they changed their terms and conditions...
  15. pete_mac

Sansui AU-X711 upgrade

How does one improve on the Sansui Alpha 607 (of which the X-711 is an 'international' derivative)? You tweak the circuit to reflect the refinements found in the later 907s, copying Sansui's circuit enhancements and using Elna Silmic caps just about everywhere!! This approach has been...
  16. pete_mac

Osborn B3 Rhapsody speakers - a new lease on life!

I was EXTREMELY fortunate to pick up a pair of Osborn B3 'Rhapsody' speakers a member of an Australian audio forum a couple of weeks ago as project speakers - thanks again mate! I really, really appreciate your generosity. I'm not sure that Osborn speakers are that well-known overseas. These...
  17. pete_mac

AU-Alpha comparison - 701, 711 and 607MRX

Skippy124 and I have been fortunate to collect several Sansui AU-Alpha amps including the AU-X701, AU-X711 and recently the AU-Alpha607MRX. All three of these amps are the 607 (or equivalent thereof) from the 8th, 10th and 14th generation of the -07 series of amps. I thought I'd take some photos...
  18. pete_mac

More Alpha X-balanced goodnesss... AU-X711 in da haus!

skippy124 (aka Dad) was lucky enough to secure a very clean AU-X711 to add to the collection. I already own a restored/refurbished AU-X701 which is currently my best-sounding Sansui - no question!. Both amps are 100WPC but the 711 has a few differences: 1. The 711 features the split board...
  19. pete_mac

Technics SP-10 MkII spruce-up

Something abnormal is going on here at Casa Del Mac - I'm suddenly over-run by Technics turntables! First, my new SL-120, and now a SP-10 MkII that an Australian audio nutter asked me to inspect, caress and rejuvenate where possible. The legendary SP-10 speakers for itself, so there's no need...
  20. pete_mac

Technics SL-120 and SME 3009 II resto/tweak

I was very fortunate to come across a much-loved Technics SL-120 direct drive turntable and SME 3009 II tonearm which were in pieces and requiring work. I really enjoyed the sound of the Technics SL1600 that I previously owned, and the SL-120 is very similar in this regard (although full manual...
  21. pete_mac

Gieseler Audio Klein DAC from Australia

Apologies in advance if this comes across of a sales pitch (I am absolutely in no way affiliated with the manufacturer) but I thought I'd post some details of my latest acquisition - the Klein DAC from Gieseler Audio who are based here in Australia. Gieseler Audio designed and manufactured the...
  22. pete_mac

Amanero384 Combo meets audio-gd Reference 5.32 DAC

audio-gd have recently licensed the Amanero 384 Combo and are producing their own version of the board. The Amanero is one of the most highly regarded asynchronous USB boards available at present, and is the OEM supplier for many excellent DACs. It's available as a stand-alone board for DIY...
  23. pete_mac

AU-999 refurb - raising the sonic bar courtesy of Kevzep and Stereofun

I though I'd share a few pics of an uber-clean AU-999 which I've been restoring for a fellow AK'er (BLAH BLAH) She's very, very clean with only a few minor scratches here and there. The internals are spotless. This one had been previously gotten-at and Lelon capcitors were installed in...
  24. pete_mac

Sansui AU-717 'old school' article in ToneAudio Magazine

The downloadable copy of ToneAudio Issue 71 has a a very complimentary 'old school' article on the Sansui AU-717 :) http://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_071.pdf (The file is 23mb - sorry, I won't extract the pages due to potential breach of copyright) Edit: please refrain from high-end...
  25. pete_mac

My very clean, restored, AU-7700

I thought I'd share some photos of my very clean AU-7700. It's had the full treatment (bar filter caps) and sounds lovely. It's crammed full of useful features and I particularly like the -15db and -30db attenuation settings and the well executed tone controls.
Back
Top Bottom