Search results

1. J

Please help identify these speakers

As can be seen in the pictures, they are Young’s, built in 1979, probably in Canada, as that’s where I am. But I can’t find anything on the web, so I’ll ask the greatest collection of audio minds to check your memories. Thanks!
  2. J

Critique and Praise these DIY speakers

I think they look pretty cool, and the design is innovative. I did not get a chance to try them at all, but do you think this design SHOULD work? What I could tell - no crossover, each speaker would be connected to the amp (two sets of connectors for each speaker). The upper drivers are...
  3. J

What item hasn't been improved in your lifetime? Non-audio ideas welcome

I was just recycling a dozen egg cartons and realized the egg carton has not changed in my lifetime, and I'm nearly 50. I don't think anyone is even thinking about finding a better way to deliver eggs. What other things have not been significantly improved on? I know we can all answer with...
  4. J

Can anyone help with this rare tonearm cable?

I have an old wooden tonearm - ADC Pritchard Model 40. Here are pictures of the turntable and the cable, and as you can see, female to female will not work in this setting. I have found this cable on ebay, but I was hoping to find a less costly option, as I am just testing this turntable to...
  5. J

Help! Bang & Olufsen Beovox 3700 speakers

OK, these B&O Beovox 3700 speakers sound really good. But they are 40ish years old, and I would like to know if the speaker surrounds are still intact. I can't figure out how to open them up. There are no screws on the back, and the front grills don't seem to come off either. What do I do...
  6. J

WEB Speakers (Wilsdon Engineering Bros.) Quest model pics

I am starting a new thread about the Wilsdon Eng Bros speakers, because I just located a pair of the rare floor-standing Quest model. WEB was a boutique speaker company located in North Vancouver during the 1970's, perhaps as early as the late 60's and perhaps into the 80's. Please feel free to...
  7. J

Does anyone use and active/powered speakers?

As the title suggests, I am wondering how many people use and would endorse powered speakers? Thus negating the need for a huge power amp, expensive cables, etc. I quickly tested the Focal Easya speakers and they were pretty good. ANy opinions?
  8. J

Help! Jico SAS with slightly bent stylus (Shure V15 Type IV)

A few years ago I decided to bite the bullet and order a Jico SAS for my Shure V15 Type IV. I thought "this will put me at the top of the heap", as far as the cartridges I have. I hadn't yet broken it in, when my friend's son decided to put on a record when I was out of the room. Innocently...
  9. J

Magnavox CDB-500 Made in Mexico

I have heard great things about the vintage Magnavox CD players built in Belgium, and I have heard pretty great things about the CDB-500. I can pick up a CDB-500 at a local thrift, but it was made in Mexico. Were there CDB-500 players made in Belgium, or just in Mexico? Is it still likely to...
  10. J

Thorens TD-160 upgrade

I am restoring a Thorens TD-160 that my brother purchased new, and gave to me. The power cable and phono cables (including ground) need to be replaced. I have a very small budget for this repair. Please give suggestions for replacement wires - the best bang for the buck. I will probably have...
  11. J

Trouble-shooting a Thorens TD-160

Good day, I am trying to restore my brother's original Thorens TD 160. Wow they must have smoked a lot back then - the cables are nowhere close to the grey color they originally were - more of a yellow-green, Anyway, I cleaned it up, changed the belt, and hooked it up. No signal coming out of...
  12. J

Wow! What albums surprisingly still sound relevant today?

I recently bought Welcome to the Pleasuredome by Frankie Goes to Hollywood at a garage sale. It was produced in 1984 when a lot of bad music came out. But this album still sounds fresh, has interesting hooks, lush production, and it still sounds contemporary. Huge surprise - I was expecting it...
  13. J

Replacing SX-850 dial lights

I am replacing four dial lights on a Pioneer SX-850. The original bulbs are 8 volts. I can only find 12 volt bulbs for sale. Any problems? I assume they will be dimmer. Are there other problems that could occur? Thanks!
  14. J

Castle Acoustics speakers from the early 90's?

I am pretty sure the build quality is excellent, but I will appreciate any comments about the sound quality.
  15. J

I did not buy a 1985 CD player for $10 - should I go back?

Fisher AD 840 It has this for DAC options: PCM53JP-V – YM2201F – YM3511F Is this something desirable?
  16. J

What happens when the internet gets old?

Audio lovers have had lots of experience with tubes, capacitors, and transistors getting old and no longer working. What happen when this happen to those who run the internet? Do chips disintegrate or work less functionally over time? At Google Data Centers, do they have a plan to...
  17. J

Acoustically inert fabric

I am planning to change the fabric on my speakers grills, in order to change the color to better match my new furniture. And also to keep my wife happy so I can keep my speakers, which make me happy - it's a nice big circle of speaker-based happiness. Anyway, what fabrics would you suggest are...
  18. J

Yay! - Rigonda speakers from the good old USSR

I got these from a British ex-pat living in Canada, and he still uses the Rigonda Bolshoi receiver for his TV stand. These speakers are beautiful, but the solder has gotten brittle, and one of the tweeters cuts out. Other than that, they sound pretty darn good! Pics attached. Any suggestions...
  19. J

American Muscle, British Style, Japanese Bling

I am in the middle of a renovation. Before I install my cabinets I need to pick my amp and pre-amp. Which would you choose? American Muscle: McIntosh MA 6100 - integrated amp and pre-amp, 70 watts per channel. 'nuff said Japanese Bling: Luxman M-02 amp. 150 watts per channel, with...
  20. J

Help identify this vintage woofer - is it something special?

I found this pair at a local thrift store - they look like they could be a score, but there are no labels and the cabs are home-made, but also well-made. I think there is a woofer, mid/tweeter, plus a horn. If the woofer is something good, the rest should also be pretty good. Any input is...
  21. J

Can anyone ID this wooden tonearm?

Here's a picture of a tonearm that is attached to my friend's Technics SL-150 MkII. He has two of them and they were used by the DJ in a Vancouver nightclub for a long time, and since then they have been in storage for about 20 years.
  22. J

Vintage CD players

I have heard that the very early Sony and Phillips CD players (if working) are giant killers still. What are some other brands/models that were great players back in the early 80s and maybe still are today?
  23. J

McIntosh MR-74 won't stay tuned in!

Hi, I have had my McIntosh MR-74 tuner for a few years, and it does sound great. For stations in the middle of the dial, the signal will stay strong for the most part, occasionally drifting out and back in. For stations on the edges of the dial, it is harder to tune in initially, and it goes...
  24. J

Rare Concord CMC-100 cartridge

I am having trouble finding any info about the Concord CMC-100 cartridge, other than this thread from VinylEngine: http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=16714 However no one mentions the tracking weight. The turntable it came on is set at 2.7 grams, which seems high...
  25. J

Which albums have a blank side?

I am working on dialing in my tracking weight and anti-skating, with a few different turntables and cartridges. It would be handy to have a blank disc (no grooves). I have a Realistic test record but it doesn't have a blank track, and I don't want to buy another test record just for that...
Back
Top Bottom