Search results

1. NAD613

Cassette deck- here's my needs....

The Teacs from the late 70's were well built & still relatively easy to get serviced. Here's my Teac A-103 from about 1978. Folks always give me complements as to how nice it looks.
  2. NAD613

Cassettes in the new era?

I went back to recording on cassettes because I hated burning CD's. You can't edit them once they're burned & it's not as satisfying burning a CD compared to making a tape. At least with a cassette, you can go back & re-record a section. Heck, if you really need to, you can get out a splicing...
  3. NAD613

New Maxell tapes

The Akai GX cassettes at Batteries & Butter are better tapes IMHO than the new Maxell. So are the TDK Pro Media SM cassettes. It's good the Maxell you got sounded good. I bought some a couple of months ago & they didn't sound good; had severe dropout problems. I hear the Maxell Studio...
  4. NAD613

Recommend a portable cassette recorder...

Yeah, it's more for making demos, laying down mulitple tracks. Radio Shack used to sell portable stereo recorders with built-in mics. J&R used to have a Panasonic, Sony, & other stereo recorders for $60-$100. A few websites have the Sony Stereo Walkman Recorder for under $100...
  5. NAD613

Recommend a portable cassette recorder...

Tascam still makes the 4-track Portastudio: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tascam-MFP01-4Track-Portastudio?sku=240851
  6. NAD613

New To Cassettes: Anything Special to Do?

That is true about the current Maxell XLII's. I had bought a couple of boxes of them a few months ago & had serious problems with drop-outs & overall sound quality. IMHO, the best high bias cassettes available now are the Akai GX & TDK Pro Media Studio Master.
  7. NAD613

You would buy a tape demagnetizer. It will come with instructions on how to use it. I included a link on a previous post where you can purchase tape deck care supplies. Per the website, "The kit includes a bottle of our Head Cleaner, a bottle of our Rubber Cleaner, a pack of 100 cotton tipped...
  8. NAD613

What do those folks do?

Yeah, that's another thing I was wondering about. I don't think too many people have a stand alone CD recorder. I too have a CD recorder plugged into my stereo like a tape deck, so making CD's from another medium isn't difficult at all. Not having a stand-alone recording deck of some sort just...
  9. NAD613

For cassette deck maintenance supplies, check out this link: http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/vparts.html Metal cassettes are no longer made. You can find them on Ebay, but you'll pay dearly for them. Here are some of the better new high-bias type II cassettes I've found...
  10. NAD613

What do those folks do?

Yeah, I figured there was something like that. It's nice not to have to rely on a computer to make a recording. Not only that, but it's nice to have music on something tangible, like a cassette, rather than in a file somewhere in your computer.
  11. NAD613

What do those folks do?

With the popularity nowadays of just burning CD-R's on you computer, it got me to thinking. How many of those folks have any kind of a stand-alone recording device, be it cassette, minidisc, CD recorder, etc., that they can record in real time? I was just thinking what happened if there was a...
  12. NAD613

Yeah, pre-recorded cassettes don't sound nearly as good as tapes you make yourself recording from vinyl, CD, tape, FM, etc... Also, be sure to clean the heads & tape path on a regular basis, as well as demagnetizing the heads. If you have older cassettes, it's a good idea to RW & FF them all...
  13. NAD613

Cassette changer?

That came out around 1973. It has a jukebox-type playlist/selector panel & you can program it. There might be some major mechanical issues (jamming issues, tape selection malfunctioning, etc...) with that unit. I don't think Panasonic continued making them past 1974 or so, so it makes you...
  14. NAD613

2003 Tape Pricing -For History Archiving

Some of it is, but some of those cassettes they still have in stock. Today I bought out their remaining inventory of TDK Pro Media SM 90 minute cassettes.
  15. NAD613

Recording through mics with a tape deck

Usually, if you want to record in mono on a stereo deck, you plug the one mic into the left mic input. And, like electroking said, on 99% of older decks, you have to press down the record & play buttons at the same time. Also make sure the line/mic selector is on "mic".
  16. NAD613

Supertramp: Any Fans Here?

I finally bought "Breakfast In America" last year. It's an album I'd been wanting to buy for the last 15 years or so but never got around to buying it.
  17. NAD613

I scored on a vintage Realistic receiver!

I almost blurted out "But where's the balance control?", until I remembered that slide volume control was L & R! Still, a very nice receiver. I wish RS still carried a well built, 2-channel receiver with a phono input, tape mon. loop, etc... Heck, I wish Best Buy or Sears still carried one!
  18. NAD613

Deoxit to the rescue!

I had something similar happen to me a few weeks ago. My brother had given back my first cassette deck I ever bought, a Sony TC-WR535. A week or so later I was listening to it & one of the channels would cut in & out. I wiggled the RCA cables around & it the sound would go in & out...
  19. NAD613

Omega solid State Cassette Deck

I've never heard of Omega before. You could probably get a decent 2nd hand Teac for $30 that would be more reliable & easier to repair.
  20. NAD613

Piggy backing receivers? Do you do it?

I can't see what would go wrong if you're just using the line in & line out RCA jacks. The signals would be line-level & that's what those inputs/outputs are designed for.
  21. NAD613

Akai GX 280D

Have you Googled for electronic repair shops within 50-100 miles of your zip code or tried the Yellow Pages online? Some of these podunk towns have some kind of repair shop. My apologies if you've already done that & still can't find anyone. If you want a total restoration done, or just have...
  22. NAD613

Here you go for cleaning supplies & a demagnetizer: http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/vparts.html
  23. NAD613

Yeah, I'd give the machine a good cleaning on the heads, tape path, etc... The problem could very well be dirty heads.
  24. NAD613

Yet another disappointing trip to Best Buy

That's true. Some companies, such as NAD, still make quite a bit of 2-channel gear. NAD's 2-channel integrated amps are some of their most popular & best selling items.
  25. NAD613

The "Pros" are not always right...

About 15 years ago, I had a problem with a newly purchased Sony cassette deck; the sound was kind of muffled since I got it, no high end. Took it back to Sears, tech asked if I had the EQ on my amp adjusted correctly, etc... He looked it over & said there was nothing wrong. Called a friend of...
Back
Top Bottom