Search results

1. M

1936 Silvertone Tube Radio Restoration Project

Not sure if you have done much with the finish but I'd advise against putting some clear over it. For one thing, the finish on this is most likely lacquer or some type of varnish. You can stain/touch up the feet but otherwise some Howards Restore-a-Finish will work wonders and maybe a stain pen...
  2. M

TUBE BURN IN TIMES?

Tubes are susceptible to some drift. Besides the reasons already mentioned, some out-gasing of the elements occurs and will throughout the life of the tube and collected by the getter. When tubes were more common in military applications they were put in burn-in racks to get them to stabilize...
  3. M

Tightening up tube sockets?

Two things to address here: You can use a dental pick and close up the socket pins "slightly" to restore tension. And one thing you may notice is that the tube may still rock a bit in the socket after doing this due to the play/clearance of the locking tab that retains the female pin. One...
  4. M

Difference between a dim bulb tester, current limiter & a variac with current meter?

One thing about a Variac as you are trying to adjust it up against a short it will hum and you can feel the 60 cycles in the knob as you are trying to turn it! Although not all Variacs have a current meter but it is a nice feature.
  5. M

Late 1960s Fender Deluxe Reverb Issues

That non-original looking transformer is for the reverb circuit. You should be able to trace out and follow the leads to verify with the schematic. Exact replacements are available and really work the best, IMO.
  6. M

How many of you built Heathkits?

I was just getting into electronics and in '74 I built a Graymark 509 mono tube amp with a 50C5 output in my high school electronics class and I still have it. Heathkits were just a dream then!
  7. M

What FM antenna are you using!?

Sadly, dedicated outdoor FM antenna choices are not what they used to be...
  8. M

magnavox tuner schematic

Howard Sams Photofact 505-7 covers the 57-03-00/10 and 20 chassis.
  9. M

REALISTIC STA-78...help!

The lamps may have their own fused circuit. Do you have a meter?
  10. M

Old Zenith Table rasio

Actually, your radio is dated around 1967. It's covered in Howard Sams 916-8.
  11. M

Going through my father's old tube collection.

6AQ5's, 6AN8's, 6SN7's, 6SL7's and misc tuner types 6AU6, 6BA6, 6BE6, 6BN6, 6AL5's. Lots of goodies in an old tube stash like that! Maybe even some eye tubes!
  12. M

Lead solder and you

Some equipment manufacturers have had to rethink their requirements for using tin solders for that very reason especially medical devices. Sure don't want to lose a patient over tin whiskers!
  13. M

Lead solder and you

One thing worth mentioning is keeping your hands clean before handling anything else. Being a soft metal, lead will easily leach onto anything you handle, tools, etc.
  14. M

AM Radio - The bad news keeps coming

Quote: "Too bad HD radio never really took off, the AM Digital stations have FM quality sound, but no one has HD receivers". Sadly, I'd have to agree with you but some areas are better served and there are some good choices for HD car audio. Sangean tuners come up on ebay occasionally but...
  15. M

AM Radio - The bad news keeps coming

Granted, AM is not what it was but I do find it valuable myself if I'm on the road and hearing the traffic/weather and news updates. Even if you can't be home for watching sports there's usually a broadcast to follow along with.
  16. M

What should B+ ripple be for Heathkit AA32 amplifiers

So when you say all the other inputs are fine does it play well then with the exception of the phono input? Reason being, there may not be any problems with B+. I've worked on plenty of amps without that kind of information but you see the simularities thoughout the power supply using a scope...
  17. M

New Cart-when?

Generally, I'd be more concerned about stylus wear than a cartridge going bad. Magnetic cartridge's can have quite a lifespan. Are you experiencing some issues?
  18. M

dynaco mk ii rectifier arcing

Do you have a variac handy? I would be curious how the B+ behaves with the output tubes out of the circuit. Keep in mind without proper loading voltages can get quite high so keep the A/C at a lower voltage. The point is to trace the B+ at the power supply and through the windings of the...
  19. M

Schematic for Curtis Mathes tuner?

Noticing your other thread and seeing no numbers anywhere, was there a cabinet back to this unit? That would have at least a model number of some sort. Provided that you still have the cabinet I would look all over and even on the bottom for some ink stampings/labels.
  20. M

Ever run out of gas?

Not good with the wife though! Been a long while since my younger days but some of those stories still come up!!
  21. M

1960s Silvertone Stereo Receiver- need some assistance

I looked up the chassis number only and the H.S. listed is 650-8. Maybe why you had difficulty because that's a multiple chassis listing shown as 528.54510/11/12/ (and second line) 520/21/22/23.
  22. M

Converting Collaro/Magnavox Record Changer from Ceramic to Magnetic?

Do you have any service info? You need to know how much adjustability that would be required to go to a lighter tracking force as well as anti-skating if possible.
  23. M

Zenith N731 AM/FM question..help

For this one, I mounted a terminal strip and went with seperate values under the chassis.
  24. M

Zenith N731 AM/FM question..help

A good chassis inspection wouldn't hurt either before any power ups. I have a model like your's and the can cap was leaky. There was no use going any further! And, being a hot Zenith chassis, the knobs can not be pulled off as they have an additional ring on the inside but this would not...
  25. M

Ha ha ha! coworker bought an AMC...

Recently came across this...Who would have thought the Pacer would turn into something with a cult following? Although Mike Myers did contribute to that!
Back
Top Bottom