Search results

1. J

New integrated needed....

Looking to upgrade my Maranrz pm8005, move it to my office. Looking at $2-3 k new to run Kef R300s, Ohm Walsh 2s. Looking at Rotel 1572mk2, Exposure 2510, Audiolab 7000a, prefer amps that run 2 sets of speakers. I have heard none of these as no stores in my state.
  2. J

New NAS needed...recommendations?

Old NAS died...Seagate hub. What are people using theses days that is better, longer lived for music and data?
  3. J

Sudden "popping" or water noise thru speakers...

Installed my low hours SS ATI backup power amp in my office system a few months ago after hurricane induced power surges blew out my HK 3490 receiver. Running with iFi Zen Dac doubling as preamp and USB DAC plugged into desktop PC with Spendor LS 3/5s. Its been fine until today. Today I noticed...
  4. J

Solid West Coast based Mac repairs?

My MA5100 needs some love and Terry DeWick is retired so looking for a West Coast based repair source that is experienced. Seems all the names I had before retired. I know about AC but shipping from Hawaii will kill me. The amp is running hot on the left channel and has distortion when playing...
  5. J

5000 Receiver worth getting repaired?

Friend passed onto me a 5000 receiver he used for years. Just "dead" per him. Doesnt power on. Blew the new fuses I put in. No obvious blown stuff on a visual check. That is about where my electronics skills tap out. I know these had a decent reputation and looked pretty way back when. It is in...
  6. J

Recos: Good sounding small passive stereo speakers for late night - nearfield

OK, looking for a smaller size pair of good sounding speakers which will work for late night/nearer field listening. I have been using a pair of Spendor S3/5s which I am moving to another system in another room where it will do late night duties. However, that leaves me without speakers in my...
  7. J

Recommended West Coast Mac repair site?

My MA5100 previously repaired by Terry DeWick needs help again...most likely a replcement of the volume pot and some capacitors. It has dead spots on the volume control and is running hot on the left side of the amp and does not output sound to the speakers on the left side. It is fine for...
  8. J

Mac repairs on West Coast?

Well, it seems my MA5100 needs some work and the one local tech retired. Same for Terry. So, anyone have recent experience with a West Coast based tech? I think it will include rebuilding the volume pot, replacing some caps whatever as the left channel does not work thru the amp (does thru the...
  9. J

MA5100 left channel out thru speakers?

OK, cleaned up my switches and pots but still have no sound on the left channel thru the speakers. Works fine thru the headphones. So, I am assuming that means the problem is with the amp portion of the integrated? Seems like it is getting a bit hotter than usual quickly. I also think there is...
  10. J

"Best" inexpensive Class D amp?

Ok, finally getting back to this after a year...between health, economy, covid blah...anyway. Did some research to ID way to go essentially looking for an inexpensive ($300-500 max say) small footprint amp for a home office/Bedroom desktop app running worst case Spendor S3/5s from a PC thru USB...
  11. J

MA5100...best way to open for deoxit

Ok, I am not one of you super technical guys so please bear with me. I did a deoxit on my MA5100 a few years back, did all the switches and pots and it was successful until recently. Now having issues with the switches and volume pot again where I dont have consistent volume on both...
  12. J

Free 4000 won't power, blows fuse...

Got a nice looking 4000 in clean wood case free. Back fuse was blown so replaced it and powered on an d it blew again. Is this unit worth repairing? I don't have skills so it would go to the one local shop. $80 to go over it and do assessment. If you repair it the money counts towards that...
  13. J

MA5100 volume pot keeps getting scratchy

Have had an MA5100 since 2008. Had Terry DeWick go through it around 2010 or so and he updated it nicely, replaced some bad caps and resisitors and made it sound better than new. Every couple of years I have had minor issues mostly with the front switches which seem to get oxidated 1x per year...
  14. J

Proven modern speaker selector switchbox

Currently run 3 sets of speakers in 2 systems in 1 room. Would like to slim down wall of gear to one system that can play any of 3 speakers. So, looking for recommendations for a proven, still available 3 output capacity speaker switching box. I know Adcom used to make one but not available...
  15. J

Amp for mall desktop system challenge?

OK, not sure if this is the right place but based on the whole T/D amp discussions I am guessing its an option. If people know better places to research/ask please speak up. OK, need to upgrade my desktop/home office system which is probably 20 years old. It mostly plays Spotify as background or...
  16. J

M70 worth refurbishing?

Ok, a number of years ago was given a full line ofYamaha 70 series electronics in original boxes including 2 M70s. Have never plugged the amps in because I heard they often had issues with fire if older and unused for long period. Trying to figure out if I should try one out or just pass them...
  17. J

MA5100 sound vs tubes?

Never owned a tube amp only a tube preamp. However, liked the sound with solid state amp and it ignited tube lust quite a while back. But.I never acted on it successfully due to limited opportunity to bear units. So, have not really heard lots of tubes and some were just meh while others seemed...
  18. J

Help...MA5100 not playing left channel?

Ok, put my MA5100 I in queue for 1st in 3 years and the left channel is not playing in stereo. Works in mono, and when I use reverse stereo on switc as well as when I send right channel signal to both sides. Does not work when I send left channel to both sides. So, I am thinking this is a...
  19. J

Options for efficient single driver full range speakers?

Looking for input on potential, relatively efficient single driver full range speakers a la Fostex to use with a lower power tube amp I want to buy. Amp power probably would be in the 5-20 watt range so not necessarily lowest power SET. Aware of Fostex and Decware conceptually but no experience...
  20. J

Speaker switcher box?

So, I am looking to make my system more compact, i.e. go from 2 to 1 in LR which doubles as listening room per wife's request. I am looking for a quality speaker switcher, if that exists, for use with my acurus R11 and McIntosh MC250 combo. I presently use that combo plus a Marantz PM8005 in a...
  21. J

Cambridge Audio CDP won't register cds in drawer

CA 740Cdp suddenly started having issues reading cds in drawer. Drawer will close but CD doesn't register and show duration indicating it's been read and I can press play and launch it. The drawer reopens. Happens 9 of 10x now. I am thinking this is a laser issue? Player is 9 years old. Had...
  22. J

New CDP?

well my 9 year old Cambridge 7004 is acting up again and it seems like it is time to get a new CDP. The unit has already been to the Mainland once for $250 in repairs plus shipping and it seems once again to be the drawer mechanism. SO, looking for suggestion on a new CDP. I have 4000 spinners...
  23. J

ATI 1502 schematic?

My ATI 1502 was in storage. Took it out to sub it in for my Mac amp and noticed when I took it out of the box something was loose inside. Took off the top and nothing came out. It appears that some part is loose but not falling out. When I hold the amp in the air and lean it forward there is a...
  24. J

Super efficient small speakers?

Borrowed a friends low power tube amp with option to buy. Looking for suggestions on small super efficient speakers, monitor sized, 90db sensitivity, new or used. Maybe single full range driver units. Heard some Halfords recently, pretty impressed. Any all suggestions appreciated.
  25. J

Temple Audio T amps? Anyone familiar with this brand?

Was looking for info on small footprint amps and this was recommended. Anyone know or heard them? What about other quality amps similar to this?
Back
Top Bottom