Search results

1. A

What was the last movie you watched?

Not a "new" film by any means, but it was the first time I'd ever seen OUR VERY OWN. Its about a teenage girl who, on her 18th birthday, discovers that she was adopted and "Mom" and "Dad" actually weren't. It was a little "soap-opera-y" but not too preachy. Notable in that a young (and very...
  2. A

Mercury MESSENGER mission news

:thmbsp: Kudos! Not too many people know that rather obscure fact about Mercury.
  3. A

It's Hell getting old.

:lmao: At first it was rather amusing; now it's getting serious: As I approach middle age, my ears, nose and other heretofore hairless parts of my body are apparently going into puberty:thumbsdn:
  4. A

Mercury MESSENGER mission news

This is one of the lesser-known current missions. The Messenger probe was launched August 3 '04 and was the first probe sent to Mercury since the Mariner 10 encounter in 1974. Because of the fact that Mercury races around the Sun in only 88 days, the cheapest way to send the MESSENGER wasn't a...
  5. A

Ferrite Core noise suppressors - Anybody use 'em?

I got a couple of those things to clip on my Hammarlund's antenna feed and AC cord to try and eliminate the gawdawful thunder of RFI emitted by my PC/UPS. I noted about a .000000000002 dB reduction. The only way I can imagine those things would work is to cover every inch of every cable (signal...
  6. A

VHS tapes: I just inherited 3 LARGE boxes of them-- what can you use them for?

This might strike you as odd but I still use a Hi-Fi stereo VHS machine to tape movies from TCM. I also oftentimes record 6 hours of DEEP TRACKS off the XM music channels, then FFWD thru it on scan, checking the titles which appear at the bottom of the screen. If I see a title/artist I like...
  7. A

The Interactive Dan Brown Plot Generator

I don't know about you, but I'm sick of that dude already. I read one of his books - the one about the codebreaking supercomputer that explodes at the end of the story... then Angels and Demons, and finally DaVinci Code. By the time I got to DVC, I was already burned out on his sly...
  8. A

Dish Network vs. DirecTV

I'm not sure I posted this story before, but this was something that happened to me about 2 years ago. It began with my losing local channels - only the locals. I called DTV service and they sent out a tech (took 4 days). He said it was some tree branches which had grown out far enough to...
  9. A

Dish Network vs. DirecTV

If you have cable, keep it. Satellite TV sucks like no service I ever used before. We use it because we literally have no choice. If you even think of rain, you'll lose your picture. The satellite internet service is extremely expensive to install and the monthly service is far pricier than...
  10. A

What was the last movie you watched?

JJ Abrahm's Star Trek Appallingly bad. Which means it'll probably be a TV series in 2 years. Probably a SyFy channel series.
  11. A

Why are they selling these?

Based on what I've read on the website(s), yes. At close range the higher-powered units could actually burn your skin. But the issue which scares me is that a carelessly pointed laser could reflect off some shiny surface into the operator's (or bystander's) eyes instantly and very probably...
  12. A

That site was only one of hundreds that turned up in my Google. I looked a little more and found this one which makes the ones on the other site look like cheap flashlights! Beware: the price is ... errrm... heart-stopping.
  13. A

Gotta love "red tape"!!

This was sent to me by my wife today. I know these kinds of E-mail stories get sent 'round and 'round so it's quite possible many of you have already seen this, but it was new to me:
  14. A

Actually, the first time I saw the green ones were in a catalog of telescopes and accessories. They were being sold as star pointers. Now, these things are about 5 to 10 times more powerful than the ones in that catalog. I'm reminded of Ian Malcolm's line in the movie Jurassic Park: "You...
  15. A

I should have said "NO AFFILIATION"... I'm certainly not advertising them, nor do I even remotely believe that anyone here in AK could be categorized as a mugger or a gang-banger. I was just posing a question.
  16. A

Not that I wouldn't mind having one, but I'm really wondering: What purpose do these actually serve? In the wrong hands, they could be terrifying weapons. Muggers and gang-bangers could do some serious damage with even the lowest-powered ones.
  17. A

Brand new in box. Come on.

Anyone who has dialup might have caught something that broadbanders missed. While waiting the several minutes for the images to load, I saw the name of the image hosting site: okthisisstupid.com! I'm not kidding! How appropriate! "Brand new in box", indeed!
  18. A

And I thought MY ISP was slow!

You may or may not know that I've been at war with my local telcom trying to get them to provide DSL service out this way for a very long time (nearly 8 years now). I think maybe BellShit/The "new" AT&T should consider the fact that they now have competition... :D Maybe I'll start with an...
  19. A

Why am I receiving an FM station from 400 miles away?

My guess? C. Lucky. You probably caught what is commonly referred to as a "skip"; when one of the layers of ionosphere became a very good reflector for signals in the FM range for a brief time. A similar situation was commonly experienced by CB'ers back in the days when some solar eruption...
  20. A

IDE vs. SATA

Well, I'll be getting my computer back from the shop (for the last time) in about an hour. I've been posting rants inspired by PC-induced migranes for almost 2 weeks now and I think I'm finally done. As it turned out, all the problems I was having with my OS install and soundcard drivers...
  21. A

Magic Smoke released from the worst possible place!

Well, my system is all packed up for another trip to the shop. I am NOT a happy camper. I had said I got my OS installed. Well, I did... but with some notable oddities. No Windows Media Player to start with... something I was pretty sure comes with WINDOWS... or am I assuming incorrectly...
  22. A

I actually do have an image disc of my system which the shop who assembled my system back in '04 made. I have no idea how to use it though and I'm very hesitant to stick it in the CDROM drive. Guess what I need to do is do some research on the subject. Yes, I know: "Google is your friend".
  23. A

Pensacola area auction Sept 26

Yeah, I know. I told you all about it before the auction site had actually listed the material to be sold. Now that I see the list, it's pretty damn lame, but the "audio mixing board" might be interesting. As far as SA or GW stores around here, I'm astonished at how consistently crappy their...
  24. A

Ahhh So. here I am posting to you all from my new/old PC. Same box, same motherboard, same RAM, soundcard, modem, etc. I'm running on my THIRD NEW power supply since I bought this thing in '04... and a brand new C drive with a brand new XP install. I had the devil's own time installing my...
  25. A

Pensacola area auction Sept 26

My wife just lined me up with this event: Pensacola Junior College is holding an auction on 9/26. It will be my first auction should I/we choose to attend. Making the trip to Pensacola at 7AM might or might not be a done deal; it all depends on what they have to offer. I don't expect to see a...
Back
Top Bottom