Search results

1. Dr Tinear

Has Anyone Reassembled a Stereo From His/Her Youth?

I have all the components from my first system except the phono cartridge, but I haven't assembled them into a system and fired it up. Here's the list: AR XA-91 turntable. This model came from the factory with a Shure M91ED cartridge pre-mounted. Realistic STA-18B receiver. Made by Foster...
  2. Dr Tinear

AK 21st Anniversary Raffle

May 7, 2008
  3. Dr Tinear

New leaders in initial quality in the US.

That doesn't match my experience. My wife has driven Chrysler minivans since 2008. The 2005 Town & Country had some issues in its old age, but that's to be expected when you run a vehicle past 150,000 miles. (Ours had 176k on the clock when we sold it in 2015.) The two vehicles that followed...
  4. Dr Tinear

Are experienced vintage audio techs a dying breed?

I got my start in electronics repairing my parents' TV sets and tubed AM radios. By the time I was 10 or 11 years old I could make a good guess at which tubes in the TV set could be causing problems, test the suspects at the local hardware store, buy replacements for any tubes that tested bad...
  5. Dr Tinear

Ever turned 100,000 miles over on a Car

The first new car I ever owned, a 1981 Chevy Citation, accumulated more than 145,000 miles in the eight years I owned it. I replaced it with a new 1989 Ford Taurus when I went to work for the Taurus's manufacturer. I ran that car up to 127,000 miles in nine years. The 1999 Mercury Sable that...
  6. Dr Tinear

My father passed away yesterday.

Please accept my heartfelt condolences, Lee.
  7. Dr Tinear

Boston recommendations

@AdamAnt316: I wasn't aware that Hallicrafters made stereo receivers. My earliest acquaintance with the brand came from a TV that my parents owned. It was an 18" diagonal B&W set with a VHF-only tuner in a blond fine furniture cabinet, and I would guess that it was made in the early-to-mid...
  8. Dr Tinear

Allen Park swap

The swap organizer was Neal Petty, npetty@ford.com.
  9. Dr Tinear

Boston recommendations

+1 on the New England Aquarium. Follow that visit with a trip to Legal Sea Foods if seeing all those aquatic beauties gives you an appetite for a fish dinner. The John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum is also well worth seeing. The architecture is stunning and the historical...
  10. Dr Tinear

What’s your best low cost ‘woah’ moment?

A big +1 on this observation. I bought my Holy Grail speakers (Von Schweikert Research VR-4s) used in 1999 for about 1/3 of the new price. That purchase took me off the speaker upgrade treadmill.
  11. Dr Tinear

What's your "go to song" to test bass in your rig?

This one ... It may not go quite as deep as some rock recordings, but it's a great test track for revealing peaky bass and mid-bass. It's also just plain fun to listen to.
  12. Dr Tinear

What did you do for Father's Day?

My wife and I drove 90 minutes each way on Saturday to spend the afternoon with our middle son, his wife, and their two kids. We got to see our granddaughter play soccer and had a pleasant lunch out. Our oldest son came to our house to take care of our elderly dog, so we treated him out to...
  13. Dr Tinear

Kenwood KR-6160 -- Opinions?

Looks like I need to do some parts-swapping on the KR-6160 and give it a serious audition because it's much closer to treasure than to trash. The last Kenwood I owned was a KA-8100 integrated amp that I bought new in the late 1970s. it was solidly built, but the power amp section didn't sound...
  14. Dr Tinear

Kenwood KR-6160 -- Opinions?

I recently acquired an early-1970s Kenwood KR-6160 stereo receiver when my brother-in-law cleared out my late mother-in-law's house prior to listing it. It powers up, tunes on the AM and FM bands, and sounds more than decent over headphones. I haven't hooked it up to speakers yet. What do the...
  15. Dr Tinear

Who introduced you to (Quality) Hifi?

My high school calculus teacher Mr. Kraase, who was also the head of the math department, introduced me to quality hi-fi. I had started reading hi-fi magazines before I took his calculus class but had little idea how to distinguish good gear from lesser gear. Mr. Kraase was an audiophile and...
  16. Dr Tinear

Novelty Songs

Novelty songs, a.k.a. Music Depreciation, has been one of my favorite genres ever since my dear grandmother introduced me to the music of Spike Jones. In addition to Spike Jones and the City Slickers, a list of my favorite performers would include: Tom Lehrer Stan Freberg (the parody singles...
  17. Dr Tinear

Technical Newby

I had that issue with an SL-220 that needed all four feet. I found a set on eBay from a seller who was parting out a similar turntable. I don't recall what I paid, just that it was a reasonable price.
  18. Dr Tinear

Electric Vehicle Technology talk.

Everything I've seen suggests that automakers are trying to steer customers to SUVs because the profit margins are larger than on most sedans or hatchbacks. The automakers that have remained active in this segment, most of them Asian, have picked up some volume from the U.S. automakers that...
  19. Dr Tinear

Leaving CA...New Hampshire here we come.

Quoted for truth. I lived in Haverhill, Massachusetts, just across the state line from New Hampshire, in the early 1980s. Snowfalls were heavier and more frequent than I remembered from my childhood in southeast Wisconsin. If you don't mind shoveling or are willing to pay someone to do it for...
  20. Dr Tinear

FM OR SATELLITE RADIO.

My car came with a Sirius/XM free trial. I found it unlistenable on classical music because of the compression and decided not to subscribe. FM radio sounds much better than satellite radio on that car system and so do well-recorded CDs.
  21. Dr Tinear

Your favorite songs about women.

Do breakup songs count? If so, here's one of my favorites.
  22. Dr Tinear

Spike Jones did a memorable cover of "Laura." The band plays it straight for the first half of the recording, then switches to full City Slicker mode.
  23. Dr Tinear

Harry Chapin -- A Better Place to Be The Seekers -- Georgy Girl
  24. Dr Tinear

Anyone considering the new Ford Maverick?

The Maverick's proportions remind me of the Explorer Sport Trac, a vehicle that I thought was attractive and practical.
  25. Dr Tinear

Anyone considering the new Ford Maverick?

The new Maverick is -- finally -- a fit replacement for the compact Ranger pickup that ended its production run in 2012. Most people I know who were fans of the old Ranger felt that the 2019-up Ranger was too big. The Maverick pickup is getting lots of love (and orders) from people who loved...
Back
Top Bottom