Search results

1. w1jim

April 13th 2024 FrankenFest in West Boylston, MA - & T-shirts

It's time again - for the Spring 2024 Frankenfest in our usual spot in West Boylston, MA. For subscribers you can go to the link below for information on how to order T-Shirts and Sweatshirts. Any questions - send me a "conversation"...
  2. w1jim

FrankenFest T-Shirt Designs - which do you like?

Greetings all, at the last few events folks have been asking for T-shirts and sweatshirts. I have 3 designs - please vote for the one you like and would be interested in purchasing. Once a decision has been made I'll start taking orders. You'll be able to pay and pick them up at the April 13th...
  3. w1jim

Pioneer PL-61 anti skate?

I have a very nice Pioneer PL-61 that I’ve cleaned up for sale. A potential buyer asked me if I serviced the (magnetic) antiskatong. Is this an issue and how would I check it out?
  4. w1jim

Ω Ω Saturday October 21st 2023 FALL FrankenFest in West Boylston, MA Ω Ω

Here we go again, it's the Fall 2023 FrankenFest. Same place as the last few years - come one, come all! We had about 80-90 attendees at the last event - which was typical for the Spring event. I'd like to encourage everyone to spread the word. Hopefully we'll see some new faces which will help...
  5. w1jim

Ω Ω April 1st 2023 spring FrankenFest in West Boylston, MA Ω Ω

Time has come to get ready for our Spring FrankenFest to be held on Saturday April 1st 2023 in West Boylston once again. We had about 60 attendees at the last event - which was typical for the Fall event. I'd like to encourage everyone to spread the word. Hopefully we'll see some new faces...
  6. w1jim

Metal 3D Printing Knobs and Lever Covers?

I haven’t seen this discussed lately and I know the technology is rapidly changing. I just picked up a Pioneer SX-850 receiver (a favorite midline unit for me) that is missing the 4 knobs and 13 lever covers. The knobs I could substitute with something in my parts collection of a similar...
  7. w1jim

Ω Ω October 22nd 2022 FALL FrankenFest in West Boylston, MA Ω Ω

Time has come to get ready for our Fall FrankenFest to be held on Saturday October 22nd, 2022 in West Boylston once again. We had about 100 attendees at the last event - which I thought was a great turnout. I'd like to encourage everyone to spread the word. Hopefully we'll see some new faces...
  8. w1jim

♫♫ April 2nd 2022 spring FrankenFest in West Boylston, MA. ♫♫

We're all set for the next FrankenFest on April 2nd 2022. We had about 60 attendees at the last event - which I thought was perfect for our first event in the "new era". This time around I'd like to encourage everyone to spread the word. Hopefully we'll see some new faces which will help the...
  9. w1jim

9090DB - power amp distortion, advice?

I picked up a non-working 9090DB a while back. Cosmetically it's very clean having spent the last 40 or so years in a custom cabinet. Upon opening it I found a bunch of the output transistors blown. Here's what I've done so far: Replaced all of the output transistors with MJ21193G / MJ21194G...
  10. w1jim

How can I stream from my iPhone to an external DAC?

I thought it would be so easy, but it’s not. I picked up a Lightning to USB-B cable and thought I could just use it to feed into the USB port on one of my DACs. But when I go do I get the message below. Same thing on my iPhone 5 and 8. Thoughts?
  11. w1jim

Share your Eureka! moment

We’ve all been there - sometimes it’s something obvious and other times it’s something truly obscure. We’ll be working on something and getting nowhere and then all of a sudden - there it is - Eureka! Now one persons impossible fix is another persons easy. So share your moment.
  12. w1jim

Pioneer HPM 1500 value

I’m reforming a pair of Pioneer HPM1500. They are in extremely good condition. Not much on eBay to go by - what fo folks think the market value is on a local sale? There’s a ratty pair that have been on eBay for a while that the guys asking $1400 B/O which might be a good price on a pristine pair.
  13. w1jim

The new bedroom system in W1JIM land

Here’s the new bedroom system: Kenwood Model Nine GX (the military PX version of the KR-9000). Recapped, LEDs and upgraded opamps in the phono section. Sony PS-X70 with a Shure M97Xe. Kyocera DA-310cx CD player with upgraded opamps. AudioControl C101 S3 EQ - necessary with the hole in the...
  14. w1jim

♫ Post Pandemic FrankenFest is on in West Boylston, MA - Saturday October 23, 2021 ♫

Let's try this again - I've secured the Masonic Lodge for October 23rd, 2021 for our next - post pandemic - event. No sense trying to predict what safeguards or procedures we'll have to use as these are evolving, just suffice to say that the organizing group is optimistic that we can resume...
  15. w1jim

ESS AMT1 crossover details

Just wanted to throw this up here for future reference - details on the crossovers in my early ESS AMT1 speakers with the 10” woofers. I’ve seen other posts where the crossovers differed from mine. The silver cap is 75uf. The black vertical cap to the left is 51.5uf. The horizontal cap on...
  16. w1jim

Faded buttons on SX-838/939/1010 - what to do?

Has anyone come up with a solution to the faded off white lettering on the push buttons on the SX-838/939/1010 series of receiver? I’ve had a couple of these over the years and I’m finishing up a restoration on my 838 and it sure would be nice to make them legible.
  17. w1jim

ESS AMT1 Speakers for $200?

I need these like yet another hole in the head but is $200 for a pair of ESS AMT1 speakers with the Heil tweeter a score? This would be assuming they work and don’t need refoaming. Score, so-so deal or run away?
  18. w1jim

Harmon Kardon HK825 preamp has some nasty capacitors in it!

Trying to resurrect an Harmon Kardon HK 825 preamp. This has 10 blue capacitors that have leaked the electrolyte and corroded the PCB. The other caps look good so far. I replaced the caps but now I’ll need to repair a couple of evaporated PCB traces. Just a heads up / replace those blue caps!
  19. w1jim

Ampex Cue-Mat magnetic recording mat / disc

I came across this today - the Ampex cue-mat magnetic recording mat / disc. Apparently a failed format that was pitched to radio stations. Unfortunately it was too expensive and only used by a few high budget stations. You can read about it here...
  20. w1jim

nate86

I’ve known Nathan for at least 10 years from when he first joined AK. I sold him my Sansui AU-999 last year and just recently he sold me his hot rod fed Maverick DAC and a few other bits for a great price. Every transaction has gone forward flawlessly and I consider him to be amongst the...
  21. w1jim

♫ ♫ Radio Garden - Map and links to radio stations around the world

Open up the map and click on a green dot to hear stations around the world. This is seriously cool! http://radio.garden/visit/sand-point-ak/uy6queCF
  22. w1jim

Sansui 5000A FM Muting Issue

I have a super clean, low use Sansui 5000A receiver that has a problem with the FM muting circuitry. When I started working on it the FM stereo light didn't work - ended up having a bad transisitor that drove the light. The other problem it had (and still has) is that even with strong stations...
  23. w1jim

How can I stream GDradio.net to my Grace Digital GDI-IRDT200?

I'm just getting my start into streaming audio into my vintage analog systems. I picked up two used Grace Digital GDI-IRDT200 "internet radio tuners". The analog output on these isn't anything special so I'm feeding one into a (supercharged) Maverick TubeMagic D2 and the other into an...
  24. w1jim

The wonderfully worthless w1jim Rat-Rod garage system

Honestly, I’ve stopped looking for gear. But, despite my best efforts weird and wonderful stuff seems to find me for free or at “can’t say no” fireplace prices. With that in mind I’ve finally set up my rat-rod garage system. I know, don't put stuff on top of the power amp - except the...
Back
Top Bottom