Search results

1. Dr. Beaker

Pair of Altec 19s not identical…?

There is a seller on the big auction site that has reproduction foam sets for the Model 19.
  2. Dr. Beaker

Altec 846B Valencia restoration next steps

Typically, 8 ohm lpads are used for that crossover. You only use one side of the lpad in each case, so it acts as a variable resistor. Pay attention to the connection numbers shown on the schematic when you wire them up.
  3. Dr. Beaker

What diaphragm in my 802-8G drivers?

The part number is on the inside of the voice coil. Looks like 23744, which is the Altec lightweight diaphragm.
  4. Dr. Beaker

Cinemag 1254 SUT 1:10/1:20/1:40 wiring?

I think it works as drawn. However, in the series example, if SW1 was accidentally switched to the other position you will connect 5 to 4 which doesn't give you the full coil winding and something weird will happen. It's not foolproof, in other words. I wired mine with a two pole three...
  5. Dr. Beaker

KLH Model Six Internal Improvement Assistance

You cannot substitute one 4uF cap for the two 2uF caps. Go back and look at the crossover schematic posted earlier in this thread. Note that the two 2uF caps tie to a common point on the left side of the schematic but go to two different locations on the right side. The original cap in there...
  6. Dr. Beaker

412B and 412C differences

Funny, I noticed that same thing when I looked at the picture.
  7. Dr. Beaker

What is this jumper wire on my M19 network?

With all due respect, those crossovers look to be a bit of hot mess. They use unconventional looking capacitors and the two don't match each other. The first picture shows what appears to be 3 pair of paralleled caps but, the Model 19 crossover uses 4 capacitors. Maybe they work fine, but if...
  8. Dr. Beaker

Tannoy 3808 - Tannoy 1009 Crossover

Is this what you are looking for?
  9. Dr. Beaker

Mullard GZ34 5AR4 identification

I thought genuine vintage Mullard GZ34 tubes all had glass that was the same diameter as the base. The pictured tube has a smaller diameter glass envelope. Am I mistaken?
  10. Dr. Beaker

Electro Voice compression driver

For reference... https://products.electrovoice.com/binary/1823%20EDS.pdf
  11. Dr. Beaker

Strange KLH 23 Crossover: Need Some Help

Thank you for posting that information.
  12. Dr. Beaker

Altec attenuator

I agree with EarlK. Something like this potentiometer should work, CTS 25 ohm Try cleaning it first. See this video,
  13. Dr. Beaker

Altec Bolero’s . A question

Excellent! I love my 890Cs. If you feel inclined to rejuvenate the crossover capacitors, there are two 6uF and one 3uF in each cabinet.
  14. Dr. Beaker

What tweeter is this?

In the photo from... Reverb Looks like it says made in Japan, in the lower right.
  15. Dr. Beaker

What tweeter is this?

I think Olson was just another brand manufactured by Fukuin.
  16. Dr. Beaker

What tweeter is this?

Maybe an Olson?
  17. Dr. Beaker

What tweeter is this?

Probably a Calrad CT-3 or CT-6 tweeter.
  18. Dr. Beaker

Adding filament transformer to ST70

You can try running 6L6 tubes in there to see if you like the sound. Each 6L6 draws 0.9A, vs. 1.5A for EL34. That would reduce the heater load by 2.4 amps. I prefer the 6L6 sound in my ST70, but not everyone does.
  19. Dr. Beaker

Which Altec/JBLs Had These Metal Grilles?

Better to keep the peace at home. Who knows, maybe only some lowly Altec 604s in there.;)
  20. Dr. Beaker

Which Altec/JBLs Had These Metal Grilles?

Looks like a Barzilay cabinet to me. That grill is not metal but made from some type of wood composite material. They are nice cabinets and often used with Altec drivers.
  21. Dr. Beaker

Altec A7-800 crossovers

Yes, that's it. For your driver compliment that's likely the ideal EQ, or very close, on the high frequency side. Of course, you could keep the lpad in there and measure the resistance once you have found the setting you like and then replace it with a fixed resistor.
  22. Dr. Beaker

Altec A7-800 crossovers

You can further simplify the Z19 crossover by replacing LP1 and R3 with a 6 ohm resistor. Then that portion of the crossover is the same as the Altec 30923 EQ compensation network shown on post #73. For Altec compression drivers that should work out very well. For other brand CDs the...
  23. Dr. Beaker

Altec A7-800 crossovers

@Lerb, I think there is an error on the revised Z19 schematic you drew on post #82. Where you removed L3 above LP2, you should leave that connection open. As drawn you have connected terminals 2 and 3 together on the Lpad, which will adversely affect it's purpose. Fun project.
  24. Dr. Beaker

4648a-8 vs 4638

I think this is more correct than what I said above. In any case, the J and JPL have the same specs.
  25. Dr. Beaker

4648a-8 vs 4638

The J and JPL are the same speaker. The PL label means it was sold to another manufacturer for use in their equipment. The PL may not have the rubber protective ring around the magnet but spec-wise it's the same speaker Nice haul.
Back
Top Bottom