Search results

1. K

Anyone from Georgia?

Very very late to the party. I live in Johns Creek / Alpharetta area.
  2. K

Kenwood KA-8100 Volume set screw

Thanks much. Bought a 1.5mm hex key from Ace Hardware and fixed the issue.
  3. K

Kenwood KA-8100 Volume set screw

My KA-8100's volume somehow has a lot of free play at the lowest volume setting. What's the size of the allen set screw, is it 1mm? I can't seem to find a 1mm hex key in the market place.
  4. K

Another deck. Denon DR-M2

In this case, it may be dirty contacts. I had a DR-M4 that had similar intermittent playback output issues. I had to push some buttons, tug on the headphone cord, knock on the top of the case, etc and the sound will come back (only happens to the left channel). A few minutes later the problem...
  5. K

Another deck. Denon DR-M2

I see the output level is set to minimum. That explains why you don't hear anything from the speakers. What is interesting is how you can hear it thru headphones that way.
  6. K

Another ultra-rarity enters the stable: Sony Placido

Let me translate what's on the remote for you (top down, left right): Tape, CD, Tuner, System Power DAT, Aux, Video, Video Power BS, LDP Television, Volume
  7. K

Kenwood KA-8100 filter buttons stuck

Well, turns out just loosening the screws for the face place solved the button issue. I did have to pull them out though. The friction between the openings and the buttons are causing them to get stuck. Not sure why, maybe they are not being lined up perfectly? I don't use these filters...
  8. K

I haven't taken the face plate off yet, so it's kinda difficult to treat them with DeOxit. But it looks to me they are more like physically stuck, like something is blocking the knobs from being released? Previous owner told me he spend something like $500 to have a reputable tech go through...
  9. K

I brought home a close to mint condition Kenwood KA-8100 a couple of days ago. The face plate is pristine, except for a very slight bent top corner on the left side. The case is close to perfect also, only a very small discoloration on the top, and that's between the grills. Anyway, I...
  10. K

1980s b.p.c. stereos, were any of them good??

And just because it's black doesn't it mean it must be plastic. On My JVC gears only the buttons are plastic, most of other things on them are of metal.
  11. K

The one at the bottom is JVC TD-V711. The one on top is Denon DRM-800A. Sorry about the shallow depth of field.
  12. K

I have these, all black: 1988 JVC TD-V711 cassette deck, JVC FX-1100 tuner, JVC AX-1100 integrated amp. The amp retailed for JPY150,000 back then, hardly cheap. And look at those ELNA caps. This baby puts out 120/ch at 8ohm with 0.003% THD
  13. K

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Stopped by my local GW yesterday, and picked up a Carver Magnetic Field Amp MXR-130 for $39.99 and and Nakamichi BX-300 for $29.99. The logo light on the Carver receiver is very dim and needs to be replaced. Also the tuner section cuts in and out. Other than that it works very good and sounds...
  14. K

A tuner came for a visit

Man, where did you get that Avatar?! This is my co-worker Lloyd! Imagine his mom did the photoshop work in her 80s. This composite is spreading like a wildfire on the internet. I've got to tell him tomorrow.
  15. K

Kenwood KA 6100

KA-7100 has quasi dual power supply, while 6100 doesn't 6100 has meters, while 7100 doesn't 6100 also lacks a high filter 7100 has a very unique and beautiful recessed volume attenuator design that 6100 lacks
  16. K

Pioneer CT-900S - problem with Dolby S - help needed

Unfortunately, CT-41's super auto BLE doesn't have override. It is fully automatic calibration, just like my JVC DD-9 and DD-V9.
  17. K

Pioneer CT-900S - problem with Dolby S - help needed

I have an Elite CT-41, which is the same as CT-900S I believe. It has the exact same problem as what your have described. Also after Super BLE calibration the recording sounded a bit muffled using Dolby B or C, compared to with no NR at all (monitoring using source/tape switching), leading me...
  18. K

Thrift find Aiwa AD-F810 with a pic

Certainly not. Brings back fond memories...
  19. K

Thrift find Aiwa AD-F810 with a pic

That picture of Aiwa AD-F810 is mine! I sold the unit about a year ago. I still have the cabinet and the Denon sitting below is my DCD-1500, which I am listening to right now.
  20. K

Teac V-970X vs. Teac V-5000 vs. A&D GX-Z7100

Ok, I've got the V-970X. Well, sort of. My family in China bought it for me and has already taken delivery. I'll be picking it up sometime this year and bring it back to the state side. One question though. The deck is rated for 100V (Japanese model), will I be needing a step down...
  21. K

Thanks everyone for your input. I am leaning towards the 970 also. I don't particularly like the look of V-5000 and the power cassette door. The only thing lacking on the 970 however is a CD or line direct input.
  22. K

I have a great opportunity to pick up one of these for cheap, but I am really torn. These are all great decks, I just can't decide. By the way, A&D is the Japanese model of Akai GX-75. You guys have any preferences among the three?
  23. K

Where to buy cassette tapes

Just received a carton of Maxell XL-II 90 from tapes.com. 5 boxes of 10 came to $53 including shipping, so unit cost is about $1.06 a piece.
  24. K

Type I vs Type II Cassettes

Type II also has the benefit of lower noise floor. But I agree with you, on a good machine, type I is very listenable.
  25. K

Show off your TOTL cassette decks here!

Denon DRM-800A and JVC TD-V711
Back
Top Bottom