Search results

1. steerpike2

Weird audio issue with David Sylvian CD...?

I'm not suggesting a fault with the encoding. I mean that your particular disc has either degraded with age, or there was a manufacturing flaw that has led it to be stamped imperfectly. Just as an LP record can become physically damaged only in certain parts so can a compact disc. If the disc...
  2. steerpike2

Weird audio issue with David Sylvian CD...?

It could be a disc that has a lot of errors and what you are hearing is the error concealment system working very heavily, and not quite coping.
  3. steerpike2

Do you own a Superscope receiver or amp.

Marantz was bought by superscope in 1964.
  4. steerpike2

"Vinyls" and other audio related idioms.

Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer 'neat' and 'kine'.
  5. steerpike2

How do you pronounce "Technics"?

Says who?
  6. steerpike2

Found something that cleans the sticky age residue off of woodgrain vinyl

Mineral turpentine works perfectly for removing the sticky plasticizer film .
  7. steerpike2

Tetsh-nix hasn't been suggested yet .
  8. steerpike2

What reaction do you receive when people first see and/or hear your system?

Long ago and components have changed since then, a friend's girlfriend:" Oh my god, if you locked me in this room for a year I still wouldn't have time to press every button"
  9. steerpike2

Philips GA-212 owners - please assist with measurement

Magic! Thank you. I have tubing, so can now cut to exact length.
  10. steerpike2

Philips GA-212 owners - please assist with measurement

Hi all, In another post I mentioned I bought a GA-212 with a broken and poorly repaired arm. I need to replace the arm tube, but since mine has been cut and joined, it may be shorter than original. Please can an owner tell me the exact length of the exposed aluminium tube, from black ball entry...
  11. steerpike2

Revox B790 piston problem

Great find! Now you have a very fine record player!
  12. steerpike2

From your video recording, I get the impression something is binding or jamming. Normal Adjustment of the dash-pot won't fix that. It may be as simple as dirt in the piston/cylinder. Or it may be the cylinder is mounted skew due to something being bent. When the solenoid is energized, the...
  13. steerpike2

Is the solenoid energized when the machine is supposed to start playing?
  14. steerpike2

Underneath that bracket, where the wires enter the lamp, that's where the retaining clip is. Can you push the long rectangular bar down ,or it stuck?
  15. steerpike2

The cup must turn , that is the adjustment - it has a tiny air hole in the bottom that is opened or closed by rotation of the cup. Maybe it is just stuck due to age. It is held in by a spring clip on a stud that protrudes through the mounting plate. If you slide that clip off ,you should be able...
  16. steerpike2

Do you own a Superscope receiver or amp.

Yes, an A245, and a CD314. Neither in use, just back-ups.
  17. steerpike2

Things you don't see anymore.

That reminded me: When I was very small, there was no sewer piping in the area we lived, each home had a septic tank. All toilets had a reminder sign - printed on a panel of wood hanging over the cistern: "Please do not flush your cigarette butts ."
  18. steerpike2

Can we do "McIntosh" next ?
  19. steerpike2

Revox B285 noisy left channel - need advice

It is well known - I'll get many, many agreements on this - that every revox B series component from the 1980s has got almost no fully working Frako, Philips or Rifa capacitors in it anymore. Even if you find that the noise is being caused by a single component and you replace that component...
  20. steerpike2

Revox B285 noisy left channel - need advice

Every electrolytic capacitor in a 285 must be replaced (aluminium and tantalum electrolytic ) before any other diagnoses can be meaningfully performed .
  21. steerpike2

Things you don't see anymore.

They had them where I was at university. Once, I pulled to get more clean towel, and the whole thing came off the wall!
  22. steerpike2

How many have never used a 45rpm record?

Since I was 5 or 6, Christmas and birthday presents always included at least one 45 - something currently "on the hit parade". They were cheap - it wasn't an extravagant gift. I still have all of them. And a few more recent ones that came as free promotional items with music magazines.
  23. steerpike2

But then how do you all say "Audio Technica" ?
  24. steerpike2

Dansette record player from England, 50 cycles not 60.

Garrard usually colour coded the motor pulley: nickel for 50 Hz and brass for 60 Hz.
  25. steerpike2

Revox B790 underdamped speed regulation

My 790 makes a kind of musical sound as the PLL locks , which the 795 does not . The 790 motor has a big rotor, that seems to transduce the drive voltage's momentary oscillation into sound. Function and specs are all normal.
Back
Top Bottom