Search results

1. operaman

anyone else running vintage Empire carts?

Thanks, but it is really performing optimally with Conical? I see Tonar seems to mention Elliptical... Unclear if they have it in stock. Experience?
  2. operaman

anyone else running vintage Empire carts?

Hi -- New here... Would you hate me if I just showed up and said "Hi, I have an 888PE here with no stylus... which one should I buy?" ? Have you all found an elliptical for this or for a similar-built Empire, that works best? OK now I'll go try and read the previous 521 pages of the thread...
  3. operaman

Musicmaster Point Two Five TT

can anyone please explain the phenomenon of V8 cans being used for scale in pics? It's very amusing but am I missing something?
  4. operaman

Musicmaster Point Two Five TT

Hello! I just found your thread. I've just acquired a KS "point zero five" and I'm eager to restore and modify it into an oustanding modern deck. But I want any and all documentation on the units that I can find. According to the Radio Museum the maker is not NEAT (which was Onkyo Denki) but...
  5. operaman

New to turntables with a few questions.

Audio Technica AT-VM95E has been a solid winner with all the customers I talked to. I have the ML and like it. Shibata is twice the price. Great value to be had there. Your budget may vary.
  6. operaman

I'm not trying to be a gatekeeper, I'm trying to offer advice based on my own experience. I bought a lot of turntables that needed work because I couldn't afford beautiful ones that worked right away. But if you have already mastered turntable setup, and you're already comparing finer cartridges...
  7. operaman

At the start of the thread, you said you were a total vinyl noob and got some advice, which was good I think, that you should probably start economical and first learn how to balance a tonearm, eliminate inner groove distortion, replace styli, etc. I would say this is good advice. It's like...
  8. operaman

Dual TT at goodwill

Have you owned a dual before? Cartridge missing is the least of your worries. They use a "Sled" that plugs into the headshell, and there should be no headshell wires visible. broken speed switch is easily fixed. "Beat all to hell" and "Noisy Motor" are more problematic. Post a pic?
  9. operaman

Trashed 1219, any parts I should save?

you take a small screwdriver and pull up the C-ring around the center hole.
  10. operaman

Dual 1218 Issue - Help?

Hi there - I'm trying to restore a Dual 1218 and made a lot of progress. But I need some expert help. Cleaned and relubed everything i could. I had all the auto and manual function working just fine last week. Then I realized the tonearm cueing wasn't perfect and the lift lever wasn't...
  11. operaman

Thorens suspended sub-chassis

Hi Can any Thorens obsessives tell me, were all the desirable Thorens models made with the suspended sub-chassis design? Same question in reverse: Were any desirable models not made this way?
  12. operaman

Considering an external phono preamp...advice?

That is what I'm saying. I'm NOT saying I know a ton about Phono Preamps - leave that to the others.
  13. operaman

Considering an external phono preamp...advice?

I recently did what you are doing -- upgrading for the first time from my (excellent) receiver's phono stage. The receiver is a Yamaha CR1020. I Got a Pro-Ject Phono Box on ebay for only $25 minus shipping, did a side by side shoot out, and found the ProJect excellent. Unbeknownst to me, my dad...
  14. operaman

My general cluelessness about anti-skate...

I recall instructions on my turntable saying to dial the anti-skate to the number that corresponds to your tracking force (properly calibrated of course). Then I use my eye ball. Anyway this is indeed my understanding.
  15. operaman

Fully Automatic vs. Manual ?

I fully appreciate this info. Does anyone else have a rec for a high end, audiophile TT with auto lift? I have asked this forum the question before: If I were to upgrade my SL1600MKII to something really great, but wanted semi-automatic features... where do I go? I got a vote for Kenwood here...
  16. operaman

Question about Tracking Force

The suspension collapsed -- on the JICO.
  17. operaman

But it would be wrong to police participation and not to police rudeness? Also, I'm not policing anybody man. Moving on.
  18. operaman

My recent experience with a JICO SAS HE stylus for my Shure V115 III cart: It is recommended at .07-1.25 !! I was riding it around 1.35 but when I dialed it back to 1.15 it sounded SO MUCH BETTER -- absolutely no distortion, inner groove or otherwise on most LPs. But on new years eve, at this...
  19. operaman

Also, I can't stand if I post a question and somebody immediately comments "USE THE SEARCH FEATURE". It's massively rude. Someone should police that behavior.
  20. operaman

Not at all! I do think it is "bad form" (as my mother might have put it) to read the thread, and comment "OH THIS HAS BEEN DONE TO DEATH! YAWN". Which several folks did.
  21. operaman

What are the BEST tables that have this feature? (Sorry to those who are sick of this topic... you seem to be many... you should just not click this thread)
  22. operaman

Thanks - yes this is mostly what I thought but I thank you for some of the detail. What I am having trouble understanding is why all those variables don't add up to a more common tracking force. Some may have a lighter shell design, a Suspension are different, different tip design, but you'd...
  23. operaman

I like a semi-auto turntable -- or at least an auto lift to spare my stylus -- and I'm always frustrated by how few excellent turntables are made with this feature. My current deck is SL1600 MKII in like-new condition, fully auto but I don't expect any problems.
  24. operaman

Hi All, Can anyone tell me why different cartridges that are equally revered by audiophiles will have such wildly different recommended tracking force? Those little styli and cantilevers seem to be built more or less the same, and assuming you're using the same tonearm... why would a Shure...
  25. operaman

Denon dcd-50 - Any experiences?

Anyone? Also... any thoughts on CD players with the zzzzt-in slot, as opposed to the "drawer"? I don't know what to call it so I made up the "zzzt-in slot"
Back
Top Bottom