Search results

1. operaman

Dual 1218 Issue - Help?

Hi there - I'm trying to restore a Dual 1218 and made a lot of progress. But I need some expert help. Cleaned and relubed everything i could. I had all the auto and manual function working just fine last week. Then I realized the tonearm cueing wasn't perfect and the lift lever wasn't...
  2. operaman

Thorens suspended sub-chassis

Hi Can any Thorens obsessives tell me, were all the desirable Thorens models made with the suspended sub-chassis design? Same question in reverse: Were any desirable models not made this way?
  3. operaman

Question about Tracking Force

Hi All, Can anyone tell me why different cartridges that are equally revered by audiophiles will have such wildly different recommended tracking force? Those little styli and cantilevers seem to be built more or less the same, and assuming you're using the same tonearm... why would a Shure...
  4. operaman

Dual 1218 new-to-me .. refurbing help please?

I came into a 1218 and want to fix it up to reasonable condition for playing 78s (mostly). The issues it comes with are the usual ones. I can hunt through old threads for tips on some of them, but I could use a point in the right direction... 1. Start works/ stop doesn't ... is this...
  5. operaman

Denon dcd-50 - Any experiences?

https://www.denon.com/en-us/product/cd-players/dcd-50 Is the sound passable? I gotta admit I like the size and design.
  6. operaman

78rpm Turntable Ideas Anyone?

I'd like a nice turntable that can take a Shure M78S cartridge for playing 78s. Does anyone have an old Thorens lying around that they'll like to offer me? Or other suggestion? Tell me if Bartertown is a good place for this sort of thing...
  7. operaman

Thorens TD-166 mkii help

I inherited a TD-166 mkii this summer, set it up and have enjoyed some music with it. However I have grown frustrated by the suspension design, which picks up feet on the floor in my fourth-story urban apartment more than my previous direct drive Technics. The common suggestion is to get the...
  8. operaman

Mounting Shure V15 III HE on a Thorens TD166 - HELP

Hello friends. I could really use some help from someone who has done this before. The TD166 is new to me. What size screw - and what length? Seems like it must be exact! Does the screw screw directly into the plate of the tonearm lift handle? No nuts? My god, this cartridge is as...
  9. operaman

Dynaco vs AR vs Advent ?

I've mentioned often in these parts how fond I am of my Dynaco A-35 speakers. That said, I've always been curious about the speakers that look, at least to my eyes, similar in design from the era. Larger Advent, and the line of AR floorstanding speakers. Those of you who know them all: How do...
  10. operaman

Pairing Speakers for a Low-Volume Listening System

Hello Friends - I recently acquired a Cambridge amplifier (AXR100) which I'm very happy with - good inputs for audio visual and CD and phono, power enough, simple interface. We moved and I'm trying to find a set of speakers that will be best in my new space. The room's large (8.5" ceilings...
  11. operaman

Vintage Speaker Stands suggestions?

Hey you all... this is related to an earlier post about my big Dynaco A 35s. Love them. Some recent research tells me that they should be "ear level" and perhaps horizontal for best practices. I currently have them on little "kitten heels" stands. But how could i get them up a foot or two off...
  12. operaman

New, From Crate and Barrel

In my opinion "stereo cabinets" are kinda passé (and not passé enough --yet-- to be fashionable again) but I have to give credit where it is due. This new bar cart/ record shelf from Crate and Barrel is pretty chompin'...
  13. operaman

Recommend Repairman for Pioneer SX880?

I am located in NYC and I have a beautiful old SX880 that I'd like to have professionally cleaned and perhaps recapped. Can anyone recommend how to go about this based on my location? The only issues I'm having are a bit of hum in one channel, and some occasional static when working the pots...
  14. operaman

Can anyone recommend an amp and/or system

I'd like to set up my TV in my main living room with an amplifier and a pair of small speakers that are on all the time. I'd like it to have the following qualities: 1."On" all the time... In other words, I turn on my TV and the sound is already coming out of amp/speakers without further setup...
  15. operaman

CD + DAC recs?

I'm looking for a CD/ DAC that will beat my Tascam CD200 and I have a couple of specifications: 1. my pet peeve is the CD drawer. The Tascam drawer is very flimsy and cheap. Do you know any decks that have a sturdy, preferably metal or alloy (not plastic) drawer? 2. Fast action. I don't want...
  16. operaman

Pioneer SX880 l channel bias in phono

Hi all, I wonder if you can help me ascertain for certain if I have a bias to the left in my old Pioneer amp, solely in phono mode. I feel like i hear it a little, but i'm not sure. It's enough to be marginally annoying just thinking about MAYBE it's there. Which must mean it is. How could I...
  17. operaman

ID these old RCA studio monitors from 1956...

You've probably seen this great old film about the making of RCA records... Purely out of curiosity, I am wondering what these monitors were (shown in screenshot below) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTfNMgrcnZU Any guesses?
  18. operaman

NY Times article on LP pressing

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/15/business/media/a-vinyl-lp-frenzy-brings-record-pressing-machines-back-to-life.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news
  19. operaman

V15 type 3 Jico arrived...

following up on the result of an old project here... JICO SAS arrived for my V15 type 3. It took a while because they were backed up. I appreciated them updating me regularly by email (without having to bug them) and telling me the ship date. They actually shipped a day ahead of the ship...
  20. operaman

Dynaco tweeter control..

I have a pair of Dynaco A35s which i find to be generally godlike... Suddenly I'm wondering what EXACTLY do the knobs do? They blend the sound of the woofer and the SEAS tweeter? But how? I have always left the treble knob straight up because I assumed it was cool to chase the flat response...
  21. operaman

A speakers/ room size conundrum

I've spent the last year listening to a pair of amazing Dyanco A 35s that I personally recapped. They are wonderful speakers in many regards. I have begun to hear some flaws. I'd like to continue experimenting. First off, I'm a classical listener, which means a lot of big orchestral music...
  22. operaman

Induction and Cartridge Selection

Hello, Can anybody break down the (very) basics of induction for me, and how this might aid me in choosing a new cartridge? This has come up in another thread, but I was a bit lost. I'm using the phono stage on my Pioneer Sx880, and I understand the induction rating is relatively low. How...
  23. operaman

Braun turntable?

Has anyone had any experience with Braun turntables? I have an interest in the designer, Deiter Rams, who is somewhat famous for mid-century minimalist indutstrial and home design. This table looks super cool. Never encountered one before... but I do have their iconic coffee grinder:
  24. operaman

record bags/outer sleeves

I bought a 100 pack of record outer sleeves and they apparently aren't the good kind - very lightweight (like cellophane) and they split up the side when you insert a disc. So I think I need a brand name I can look for. Any suggestions? I prefer medium weight (not the fat, thick ones). Thanks!
  25. operaman

Help Please! JICO SAS Arrived and Won't Fit...

I bought this: http://www.lpgear.com/product/SHVN5xMRSAS.html from LP Gear for my this: http://gramophone.kiev.ua/images/restore-22.jpg And it just arrived. The shaft will not go into the cartridge body! What is going on???
Back
Top Bottom