Search results

1. Pennywhistle

Which Preamp: Mani, Pluto or Phono Box DC?

What was the "buried setting in Windows 10's Sound preferences"?
  2. Pennywhistle

Which Preamp: Mani, Pluto or Phono Box DC?

"I wonder if it's because I'm reading more into the Pluto's sound because it's newer, or whether the ART really is that outdated." Yes. "I bought it about ten years ago, and from what I gather, it was never meant to be an audiophile preamp." Yes.
  3. Pennywhistle

Amateur Hour: Pioneer SX-525, Denon DRA-300, GE Trimline, Westinghouse

Good cheap normal size RCAs. $1-3 on Amazon and eBay. RE: all the volume problems. a) Spray clean everything with DeOxit. b) Do not try to revive a 45-year-old budget receiver. RE: fuses. The wrong size fuses changes the audio output. They are a part of the circuit and specified for a...
  4. Pennywhistle

Pioneer sa 6500II with Magnat all ribbon 6

Unless your room is huge and/or you listen at blistering volume levels, you will be fine. Tell us how it worked out for you.
  5. Pennywhistle

Teac to-122a

YOU PLUG IT IN AND TURN IT ON.
  6. Pennywhistle

Electrocompaniet Otala amplifier (the 2 channel amp)

Gee. That's not what John Curl says ....
  7. Pennywhistle

Luxman R-115 vs R-114

Where do you get that the 114 has a center channel? Mine doesn't.
  8. Pennywhistle

Overloaded TPA3116?

I'm definitely a noob when it comes to audio Yes. Then maybe you shouldn't spend your money first and then find out whether it works for you later on.
  9. Pennywhistle

Seeking suggestions to replace a Nakamichi TA-2A with a new integrated amp/receiver

You COULD buy a better tuner and play it through the NAK.
  10. Pennywhistle

Luxman R-113

Actually, I use mine as an amplifier, inserting my expensive preamp into the CD direct jack. Sounds pretty damned good! If the amp has enough current behind it, 35 wpc is plenty.
  11. Pennywhistle

Luxman R-113 -- looking for advice...

<< One way to use it as a power amp would be to use the CD input, enable the CD Direct function and turn the VC all the way up, but it's not something I would do.az The R-113 does not have a jumpered pre-out to main-in like many receivers/integrateds do, but only a pre-out, that can drive a...
  12. Pennywhistle

What Do You Think of This Rek-O-Kut Phono Stage?

"I agree with jcmjrt, a one-size-fits-all 78 EQ curve is not very useful." Pish tosh. Unless he is a professional or a disc jockey, it will be just fine. So what if some old scratchy 78 is not equalized perfectly? There are tone controls on his amp for a reason, you know.
  13. Pennywhistle

Initial review: TCC TC-750 phono preamp.

battery power "I dislike all switch mode based power supplies as they are invariably electrically noisy and also tend to generate considerable broadband radio noise which as an Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) operator I hate! I will make up a fully battery power supply when I can." TCC makes a...
  14. Pennywhistle

Initial review: TCC TC-750 phono preamp.

TTC makes a 9-volt battery powered version - the TCC TC-450 - which is $10-15 cheaper (at least on Amazon in the US).
  15. Pennywhistle

Phono cartridge alignment tool

Where lies the fault? Did they send you the wrong size belt or did you not know what size belt you needed? Plus - You know you are (presumably) replacing a used stretched-out belt with a proper belt that will stretch out a bit when you use it. Belts are supposed to be a bit tight.
  16. Pennywhistle

Don't order anything from Turntable Basics site!

So ..... Did it come in a reasonable amount of time, properly packed?
  17. Pennywhistle

T-Amp, which one?

MUSE T-AMPS COMMENTS - pretty damn good. For the money ($40) a STEAL. NOTES - Make sure you order the power supply. These are amps - so you need a pre-amp or a source like a CD or another RCA-plug device. Don't forget that they only take one input. They have no tone controls...
  18. Pennywhistle

The Sumiko Oyster: tell me how bad it is.

Try the Pearl The Oyster lies on the Mediocre/Crap spectrum. But the Pearl is indeed a pearl.
  19. Pennywhistle

Luxman P-102

Yes, I just noticed that and corrected my post.
  20. Pennywhistle

Luxman P-102

P-mount? http://www.vinylengine.com/library/luxman/p-102.shtml
  21. Pennywhistle

Optimus Pro 77's.....good?

You have no idea if they are waterproof or meant for outdoor use. I would tend to doubt it. myself. Then again, $12! Who cares?
  22. Pennywhistle

Best Cartridge under ~$200 for my Tonearm?

Those are all great carts, but - in my experience - the Sumiko Pearl is the top. Superb presentation, excellent channel separation (30dB) with excellent channel balance (0.5dB). The wide elliptical stylus (0.2 x 0.8 mm) does a great job of reducing surface noise without sacrificing detail at...
  23. Pennywhistle

Harman Kardon T60 questions - many

Hampton 1) First question – the cartridge was a Yamaha MC-5 – not sure if the stylus is replaceable on this model or if it is even worth it? (This was the original cartridge installed in 1983) What do you want with a 30 year old cartridge where the rubber suspension has turned to brick? Buy...
Back
Top Bottom