Search results

1. rschweitzer

Kenwood KR 7050

Yes. I have a 7050. 1979 seems to be the last year for silver faced receivers, this being one of them. It was in pristine condition when I got it. Had a nice scent to it and came from a wonderful home. I restored it. Fixed a few issues in the power supply, added a triac and fabricated a...
  2. rschweitzer

Onkyo TX RZ50 and audio (lip) sync

I spent countless hours on the phone with Onkyo support and they offered no help whatsoever. They insisted it was not an issue. I told them the menu to sync audio does nothing going negative. I asked the tech to try it. He couldn't as they weren't set up for that. We ended up at a stalemate...
  3. rschweitzer

Kenwood KR-7050 Rebuild Issues

I don't recall responding to this particular thread. I do recall measuring some voltages on my working unit since it was on my bench at the time and the schematic was difficult to read. What is occurring with your 7050? I assume dim bulb glows brightly? Edit: I missed going back to see...
  4. rschweitzer

The Dreaded KR6030 Power Switch / Lights flicker issue ( questions ).

If you ever get more receiver/amps on your bench, buy the triac/resistors/capacitors parts that we discussed on the Facebook thread along with the mini circuit board. Also get some extra black, red and white wire since the board normally is not right next the switch. Do away with the snubber...
  5. rschweitzer

FYI Kenwood Receiver Fans... Recommend KR-7050

Did you say 8010? This one came from a bar in Huntington Beach ⛱️, California and it looked and sounded like the beach to! The audio was gritty and lifeless. It was pretty much like mud and so disappointing. But.....with help of Mothers and Mequirers automotive products, it became visually...
  6. rschweitzer

FYI Kenwood Receiver Fans... Recommend KR-7050

You mean one of these? Yeah....I agree. I also have the 8050 and was considering the 9050. This 7050 sounded pretty decent when I got it from a person in Texas. But, I made it better than factory new. It went through a complete update and restoration. The power supply section had some...
  7. rschweitzer

Kenwood KR-8010 , Bias

Yep! They are substitutes. Perfect match actually. Don't forget the Omron relay. And....there are some threads here on AK about adding a triac to the power switch. Check those out if you already have not. I add a triac to every amp/receiver on my bench and remove the snubber capacitor. I...
  8. rschweitzer

Kenwood KR-8010 , Bias

I have one of these, my sleeper, as I call it. If memory serves me, I couldn't adjust the bias to a low enough level and ended up replacing the diferential drivers, Qe1 & Qe3 and Qe5 & Qe7. KSA992 Transistors, PNP and KSC2690 Transistors, NPN. Also replaced the trimmers to Bornes multi-turn...
  9. rschweitzer

Kenwood KA-8006 and burnt resistors.

Based on the pictures and what you and others have written, it appears that there is an over current draw and these resistors held up as best they could. I would replace them with 3 watts. I had a similar situation with KR-7050 power supply where the resistors got so hot they burned the...
  10. rschweitzer

Kenwood KR-9050 Lamps

Then the 9050 is obviously different for those indicators. The 7050 and 8050 have what is pictured for indicators. That board has to be removed with the faceplate off. I choose LEDs and removed the lights, rubber spacers and pins.
  11. rschweitzer

Kenwood KR-9050 Lamps

Replaced the bulbs in the 7050 and 8050. I think the 9050 is identical. Cool white LED wedge bulbs soldered to existing wires. for the dial face. 7050 pictured. Indicators are water clear LEDs with a series dropping resistor and diode. To do this, I removed the miniature light, unsoldered...
  12. rschweitzer

KR-7050 power switch replacement

I own both of these receivers and in both I installed a triac So, the current draw at the switch doesn't matter. The triac handles that. Either switch should work as I think they are the same size.
  13. rschweitzer

KA-7002 amp section not working

A few thoughts.... Replacement volume controls are available from mouser, digikey.com, etc. I have used them for newer type analog live sound audio gear. But the selection is impressive. Check the bay for parting out. I recently found a 8050 being parted and purchased quite a few boards and...
  14. rschweitzer

Picked up an 8050 to replace my 8010

8010, 7050 and 8050. I have all 3 and restored them. Each had individual issues, but each sounds absolutely beautiful. I have put them up against the HH Scott 340b I have, also restored, which is far less in power. However, it is very difficult to tell them apart. Prior to restoration, all...
  15. rschweitzer

Kenwood Model Eleven III - Only FM works - HELP!

I had a similar issue with a reciever and injected a low level 1Khz tone on the defective input and traced it with my scope. You can also use a fluke multi-meter. The switch was bad and I couldn't fix it. Most of the fingers had all broken off. I found a donor unit.
  16. rschweitzer

Kenwood model 11g replacement panel lamps

It depends on what you like. I replace incandescent lamps with LEDs. There are a few exceptions, such as a reciever with a stereo light. Those are always incandescent. You can obtain wedge, fuse type and single leds in any color including warm white that yields a factory look. If the lights...
  17. rschweitzer

Kenwood KR-6600 - worth restoration?

Not really. Some charge hourly and some charge per project. What you really need is someone who loves doing this. Attention to detail is key. If it is done right, it won't be the same. In my estimation, it will be better than factory new and put you, the listener at a front row seat to...
  18. rschweitzer

I know what parts cost as I restore my own. Labor/parts cost from a reputable technician/engineer, I estimate of about 375 or higher. As for differences between manufacturers, similar units won't be much different on cost. Discrete components don't cost any more. Labor may be different...
  19. rschweitzer

I own a 4600, which is the the baby of the family. Actually, the 3600 is real baby. The 4600 I restored. Not to many changes technically, other than a triac for the power switch. After restoration, it drove Bose 901s nicely. Besides, I always liked the blue face of those Kenwoods. I...
  20. rschweitzer

Kenwood KA 4002A arching power switch?

Probably. If you can hear a little sizzle type noise at the power switch, volume control at minimum, then you diagnose is correct. That being the case, depending on the power switch itself, if it can be disassembled and cleaned, that would be good. If not seek a replacement. To fix this...
  21. rschweitzer

KA-8004 volume/balance pot problem

Thought of something to try that should work. If the new potentiometer is 100k, use a 1/4 watt 100k resistor across the outside pins of the pot. This in parallel will give you 50k ohms. The wiper will see it as a 50k pot. A carbon resistor should work although a metal film would quieter...
  22. rschweitzer

Kenwood Eleven GX multiple issues.

Ah..understand. The relay is typically an issue with these as the contacts get tarnished. You may have had one that was in good shape based on your comment. Meter circuit has a power/line level switch and that could be suspect as well. Sometimes these may be difficult to clean without...
  23. rschweitzer

Yep. That is the relay. Took a picture of a spare I have. Usually keep a few around. These are avaliable from mouser.com or digikey.com. You might be able to take the existing relay apart and clean the contacts. However, short term solution. Nothing better than new gold plated contacts...
  24. rschweitzer

One of my all time favorites! Love the blue! I suspect you have the usual suspects causing issues and it probably is more than just one. As for the meter, no voltage could mean a broken or loose connection/switch to that meter or the circuit that drives it. Trace it back from the meter to...
  25. rschweitzer

Kenwood 650 Sanken

If those outputs are dead, I assume shorted? You should investigate, if already done, why. Pretty high chance the pre drivers, bias resistors and emitter resistor are bad as well. Check those if you have not already done so and fix the amp before you start a restoration. Also, if you don't...
Back
Top Bottom