Search results

1. catman

Not much more on the forums from catman.

G'day all, just to advise that I'll be curtailing my posts on the forums (especially the 'turntables' forum) now. I've made the decision after finally having had enough of various things including having my posts ridiculed and good advice ignored or rejected. I am very sensitive to this...
  2. catman

Will and Unplayed Record, Sealed, have many Crackles and Pops

G'day mate, that's a very interesting post, thank you. :yes: Regards, Felix aka catman.
  3. catman

A 'rough diamond' kind of cartridge!

G'day all, with all the talk about aspects of stylus tips, wear etc, the expression a 'rough diamond' just popped into my head. It's an expression commonly used here in Australia often used to describe someone or something that appears 'rough' and/or annoying yet is in some way virtuous or...
  4. catman

Advice Needed: Cartridge for Technics SL-1200MK2

G'day mate, I recommend the Shure M97xE, but try to get the loading capacitance at 47 k between 250 and 300 picofarads. This is most important for the most pleasing sound quality. Regards, Felix aka catman.
  5. catman

Is 'euphonic' sound what I really want?

G'day mate, it bothers me. :yes: Honesty is more important to me than anything else yet here is an example where the opposite applies. Yes it's strange. :scratch2: Regards, Felix aka catman.
  6. catman

G'day mate, just 'thinkin out loud', I guess. Regards, Felix aka catman.
  7. catman

G'day mate, good point! Regards, Felix aka catman.
  8. catman

G'day mate.... and I do! Regards, Felix aka catman.
  9. catman

G'day all, I admit to being in a 'crisis of listening' at the moment, rather torn between the sound of two phono stages. I love the sound of my ANT phono stage primarily because of its gentle/easy sound which I guess might be termed slightly 'euphonic' (nice sounding). Listening to the ANT...
  10. catman

Is 'polishing' a new stylus necessary?

G'day all, this thread was intended to be serious! This question and answer from the AJ Van Den Hul FAQ is the sort of thing I'm talking about: 76 Q: Why does a cartridge need around 200 hours of playing before the sound is well ? A: It is the same with cars. The engine also needs to...
  11. catman

Is 'polishing' a new stylus necessary?

G'day all, this might be related to stylus break in in a sense but I wonder if a new stylus needs to 'polish' a little through actual play in order to sound its best, because I've noticed that the new stylus on my OMB10 sounding a little smoother (and musical) now after playing a few records...
  12. catman

'Wish You Were Here' 'therapy'.

G'day all, well it's been a complex sort of day with symbolic 'stop signs' everywhere and I feel the need to 'de-stress' a little, so Pink Floyd's 'Wish You Were Here' is playing on the turntable behind me. Ah, I think it's working already! Regards, Felix aka catman.
  13. catman

How do the Knosti Disco Anti-Stat and the Spin Clean 'de' static?

G'day mate, I'm sure what the Knosti fluid is but it sure smells like pure iso propyl alcohol. I now use a 1:1 mix of pure iso propyl alcohol and distilled/de-ionised/de-mineralised water and it works equally as well. I've had some 'issues' with the filter/funnel but normally I don't use...
  14. catman

How do the Knosti Disco Anti-Stat and the Spin Clean 'de' static?

G'day mate, try 'de-mineralised' water. Different names for essentially the same thing. Any good supermarket should stock it in one or two litre bottles. Regards, Felix aka catman.
  15. catman

The Ortofon 2M series. Yes or No?

Good morning all from here, some of you have asked about my turntables. Well all my acquisitions have been preloved (second hand.... remember that I am a pensioner with very limited financial means). However for the 'record' they are a Marantz TT-1200CT with carbon fibre tonearm (never...
  16. catman

G'day all, this is an interesting one and I'm not sure what to make of this. I just received an email catalogue from an Australian hi fi vendor that I've done business with in the past and in the turntables section I noticed something 'interesting', perhaps. :scratch2: Most of the...
  17. catman

For some recordings is it not just the music but also 'the sound'?

G'day all, I'm not sure if I can properly articulate this. What I mean is, do you have a song or a piece of music that you love but not just for the music itself, but also because of the way it 'sounds'. I once had a friend who used to regard Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side Of The Moon' that way...
  18. catman

G'day all, Cadillac Kid, I no longer have my 2M Red, in fact I gave it away to a fellow AKer, but I had used the 2M Red in a variety of different tonearms of light to moderate mass with equivalent results on each. Regards, Felix aka catman.
  19. catman

G'day mate, I'm sorry that the thread has turned badly for you. It seems quite weird to me that Ortofon chose, unlike the Super OM series, to alter the generator assemblies in the Bronze and Black whilst maintaining the 'look' and stylus 'compatibility' between all models. In my...
  20. catman

G'day mate, Greyson, I guess that I do mostly because I bought one and expected good things of it (the 2M Red). In fact I initially reviewed it quite favourably, much to my never ending regret, but I guess even an esteemed company like Ortofon (for which I have enormous admiration for what they...
  21. catman

G'day all, I find myself asking this general question about whether the Ortofon 2M series is a success or failure, essentially 'Yes or No'?! Reading the various threads involving the 2M series I never cease to be stunned by the incredible difference and variance in opinions. Some love them...
  22. catman

Rome is Sick...

G'day all, Rome is a really good bloke. Best wishes to you for a full and speedy recovery. Regards, Felix aka catman.
  23. catman

Putting things away for 'safe keeping' then never finding them again!

G'day all, well I just found them! They were at the bottom of a pile of papers on the bed (aka 'junk storage area') behind me here in this Ham Radio shack as pictured. Regards, Felix aka catman.
  24. catman

Putting things away for 'safe keeping' then never finding them again!

G'day all, I guess we'll all done this and I certainly have much to my own annoyance! Some time ago I purchased a couple of spare Ortofon styli, thinking that one day they might 'come in handy'. Well now that I have a new Ortofon cartridge, these 'spare' styli will certainly come in handy...
  25. catman

New Ortofon OMB10 installed.

G'day all, late last night I ran a couple of interesting further evaluations against my M97xE which were rather enlightening. Plugging in my M97xE I realized that the OMB10 has much higher output, requiring a fairly healthy nudge up of the volume control. When I did, the M97xE seemed to be...
Back
Top Bottom