Search results

1. Catswold

B&W Owners Thread

On a bet, i stuck a McIntosh MQ104 (bass equalizer) into my system. Using only the MQ101 functionality right now, but my Matrix 3s have found their missing bass. Very nice full frequency response coming out of my speakers now. I knew that B&W made a similar unit for the original Matrix 805s...
  2. Catswold

B&W Owners Thread

Well, I now have my TOTL home system complete...for the time being :) Upgraded my B&W Matrix 1 series 1s with a pair of Matrix 3 Series 2. Not a whole lot of difference. The 3s do sound a bit fuller and they are 5db more sensitive (90 vs. 85 on the 1s). The sound coming from my system now is...
  3. Catswold

B&W Owners Thread

Well, I replaced the A-88X with a McIntosh MC-2002, a McIntosh C-39, and fed through a NAD M51 DAC...my Matrix 1s now officially WOW! me beyond any expectations. The change of electronics resulted in a genuine revelation as to what true "hi-fi" is about...the clarity, the separation, the...
  4. Catswold

Who's had Dac's under 500$ and over 1000$

Dragonfly 1.5, Chord MOJO, and NAD M51..no comparison. The Dragonfly is a good inexpensive DAC, and the MOJO was really spectacular, especially considering it's price (the MOJO emits a really obnoxious hiss when it's charging), but moving to the NAD was a whole new ball game. The most...
  5. Catswold

Houston, TX

In Houston, Tom Tran at Save on Sound Electronic Service is fairly highly recommended. Several people here have recommended him as well as the guy who runs Sounds Good To Me.
  6. Catswold

Hi-res LP rips >> NAD M51 >> Mcintosh C-39 >> Mcintosh MC-2002 >> B&W Matrix 1s

Hi-res LP rips >> NAD M51 >> Mcintosh C-39 >> Mcintosh MC-2002 >> B&W Matrix 1s
  7. Catswold

USB DAC budget recommendations please!

It's ALL "opinion," including yours, so that was a totally irrelevant and unnecessary comment. As for the Chinese market, not very many people are going to massdrop for a single DAC...we are talking about the real, practical world. As for "sampling theory," I suggest it is you who has an...
  8. Catswold

It has a line level output, the headphone jack. It's 3.5mm mini-jack. Just connect a 3.5-RCA "Y" interconnect. As for the 24-96 limitation, any improvement in resolution above that is highly questionable...and unlikely to be found in any sub-$100 DAC of high quality. Dragonfly is pretty much...
  9. Catswold

Hands down the best budget DAC I know of is the AudioQuest Dragonfly Black at $99.95. I have the 1.5 which is the previous generation and can swear by it. This new generation is reputed to be far better. You get great clarity and punchy bass. Highly recommended!!
  10. Catswold

Yamaha C-4 w/ McIntosh MC-2002?

Yeah, I opened the cabinet and it cooled right down. I now have a fan sitting right on top drawing air through the amp and it's only very slightly warm to the touch. One reason it got so hot was I failed to lower the shelf it was on so it was only an inch from the top, A real brain fart, I...
  11. Catswold

LOL!!! You were right about the heat. Even never exceeding ~3 watts, the amp gets too hot to touch with the cabinet door closed. Fans are on order both for the amp and the cabinet. Thanks for the warning!
  12. Catswold

MC-2002 and it's mine, all mine!

I am loving this and I don't mind the big red power button, because the C-39 digital readout is a red led display that matches. :D LOL!!! I didn't understand about the Loudness control. it's a knob and "0 boost" is fully to the left, not center position as one might be led to think, so after I...
  13. Catswold

Yeah, this is really bizarre. I've heard about this sort of clarity, about being able to pick out each instrument and though I never questioned it, I guess I never really understood what they were describing. The music just resolves itself into separate instruments instead of a muddle of...
  14. Catswold

LOL!!! No, but I can plug a tuner separate into the C-39. Right now it's between my Pioneer F-99X and my Pioneer TX-9500 II. Both are well rated at the Tuner Information Center. A Mac tuner can come later...an MR-78 or maybe one of the newer ones, like the MR-85.
  15. Catswold

RIGHT! Now I stand corrected. I am hearing things I've never heard before. Listening to Gregg Allman Laid Back...dang if there isn't some music in that guitar strumming in the background of These Days. Man those guitar strings ring out...I know it sounds cliched, but I really am...
  16. Catswold

LOL!!! Yeah, I'm waiting on a C-39 (2nd gen) that needs a new glass, that I picked up for a song. Don't really need it with the setup I have, but it will be nice to have the ability to add a tuner or something. :D Besides...PRETTY LIGHTS.
  17. Catswold

AHAHAHAHA!!! :rflmao:(maniacal laughter) I've got a Mac! I've got a Mac! :rockon: YIPPEE!!! I'm HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY:banana: So anyway, I managed to score a pristine McIntosh MC-2002 for a reasonable price and it arrived today. I've set it up now and have been listening to it for a couple...
  18. Catswold

Thanks, twiiii! Heat shouldn't be a problem, because I don't push amps these days the way I did when I was younger. I'm running the Pioneer 88-X right now and rarely ever reach even 25% of the amp's capability. I rarely reach 80 decibels and that only when I'm really rockin' (I share the...
  19. Catswold

Pioneer A-88X, B&W Matrix 1 , Yamaha T-1, C-4, M-4, Pioneer SA-9500 II, TX-9500 II, SG-9500

Pioneer A-88X, B&W Matrix 1 , Yamaha T-1, C-4, M-4, Pioneer SA-9500 II, TX-9500 II, SG-9500
  20. Catswold

Sorry, should havve been clearer...my source is high-res phono rips played through a Dragonfly 1.5 DAC from my computer. It is quite possible to use the MC-2002 directly with the DAC, but I was contemplating having the possibility of adding a tuner. Since I already have the C-4 and a T-1, I...
  21. Catswold

Just picked up a McIntosh MC-2002. I have a Yamaha C-4 and I was looking for opinions on using the two together. Would the C-4 be taking a step backwards in sound quality? Thanks!
  22. Catswold

B&W Owners Thread

I came very, very close to buying a pair of those DM-14s. Great looking speakers that have a great rep. BTW--According to Ken Rockwell, only the Matrix 805 used the equalizer and that because it gave extended bass and smoother upper end to a speaker that was already well above the...
  23. Catswold

B&W Owners Thread

Had a chance at a pair of CDM1s, but missed out. They're very good speakers...bet they sound good with plenty of power.
  24. Catswold

B&W Owners Thread

Yeah, about 500/speaker back then. Those Matrix 2s were even better.
  25. Catswold

B&W Owners Thread

Yes, I'm sure. The Matrix series was the direct descendant of the original 801s and were followed by the Nautilus series. The DM (stands for Digital Monitor) series was designed by B&W to provide the budget listener with sound as close to the TOTL speakers at an affordable price. A little...
Back
Top Bottom