Search results

1. GYMusic

Checking audio quality for my internet radio station

Whatever compression amount you're using sounds good. Audio is a bit bass heavy... a couple of dB around 100-200 Hz region. Being a bass player, I like heavy bass.
  2. GYMusic

Are all CD-Rs really having the same sound?

Do you know the "chain of custody" of the CDs or the files contained on them? Was the creation of each CD of the same original audio file? If you don't know the chain of custody, then figuring out what happened to each is a worthless waste of time.
  3. GYMusic

Are all CD-Rs really having the same sound?

The ultimate test for checking the "sameness" of two supposed identical audio files is the "audio file null test". Google it.
  4. GYMusic

Help with SpaceXpander

This is all true. I used to use one in the 70's in my studio in recording some of my favorite music. If I recall, one of the tubes is difficult to find. I agree - finding a replacement spring with correct in/out impedances are crucial. The original spring is stamped "Fisher Space Expander"
  5. GYMusic

Hoorah, NO MORE TAPE

Rudy Van Gelder - "The biggest distorter is the LP itself. I've made thousands of LP masters. I used to make 17 a day, with two lathes going simultaneously, and I'm glad to see the LP go. As far as I'm concerned, good riddance. It was a constant battle to try to make that music sound the way it...
  6. GYMusic

'Out-of-Spec' Household VAC

Power providers have "quality" specifications that they are supposed to adhere to. Here in CA, we also have the (PUC) Public Utilities Commission that makes sure the utility companies comply with standards. If you have a provable voltage issue, first contact your local provider. If they give...
  7. GYMusic

I've been told I need to get headphones... $80-120ish range?

I use multiple pairs of the Sony 7506 in the studio. I like them and have been using them ever since they first came out. Clients love them and usually purchase them for themselves. I've tried Beyer, AT, AKG, Sennheiser, but never found any that sound as good TO ME as the Sonys.
  8. GYMusic

Coronavirus News -- PLEASE No Politics

Did anyone else notice, that about a week ago this site was posting "hot spot" information in specific areas (points on the state maps) in your state and now the site has changed into lumping ALL all individual area cases into a "state total"? What's up with that? I'm assuming that they don't...
  9. GYMusic

Terry Witt

Yep. Terry has rebuilt idlers for my Ampex machines. These are pro machines that I use daily. He does good work. Highly recommended.
  10. GYMusic

I'm enjoying the much needed humor in this thread. Hang in there AKers.
  11. GYMusic

First of all, I'm not worried about any of this. I (and some of my friends and colleagues) see this as a strengthening, personal and financial opportunity.
  12. GYMusic

Apollo/Transco lacquer facility burns

You are absolutely correct. A few of my vinyl mastering colleagues have hoarded blank mastering lacquers, but are sure this loss will affect future work.
  13. GYMusic

Joe Jackson gear question

Those particular boxes were made by Sescom. They made several different models. Trust me.
  14. GYMusic

Those aren't knobs. They are 1/4" input jacks. There are literally hundreds of manufacturers of direct boxes. Some studios build their own.
  15. GYMusic

Those are "direct boxes" or "direct injection" boxes for converting high impedance instrument signal to a balanced, low impedance signal for connection to the recording console. "Night and Day" - my favorite Jackson album.
  16. GYMusic

Did I blow something serious on my Teac A-3440?!

"NOTE: I have just now tested all 4 tracks through the Mic inputs and they all worked. Track 3 DOES accept the Input from the 1/4" Mic jack but I think that's just because it uses an entirely different set of electronic resources, if not a completely different on-board amp/regulator path." I...
  17. GYMusic

What's this worth?

It'll be as entertaining as the "recommend some speakers for me" threads.
  18. GYMusic

Stupid people

I wish I could procure a patent on "stupid".
  19. GYMusic

Bulk Speaker Wire & Interconnect Suggestions - What Do You Like To Use?

Me too! I'm gonna get a truck load and sell it on an audio site!
  20. GYMusic

Millenials starved for actual stereo controls

I've posted this before on recording forums. Bob Stone and Frank Zappa had the idea in the early 1990's to release Frank's new release at that time on an 8 track multi-track digital tape - similar to an Alesis or Tascam format. The listener would have control over 8 independent tracks or 4...
  21. GYMusic

Scott 399 - help identifying burnt resistors?

You're most likely correct about the filter cap being suspect, but check the rectifiers also if they're SS bridge type.
  22. GYMusic

Post a Picture of your Tape Deck - Decks

Just sold last week after using it since 1968. I made some wonderful recordings with this machine.
  23. GYMusic

Area 51 - civilian raid.

:lurk:
  24. GYMusic

Chain Saw - 2 cycle vs battery?

Remington chain/electric with a 14" bar. NOT BATTERY. Cuts through 6-10" branches no problem. Came with an extension pole - $80. No brainer. There are many out there.
Back
Top Bottom