Search results

1. rage

Do I need a pre amp?

I think you'll end up with too much gain.
  2. rage

Suggestions on first amp and/or preamp under $1,500

I'd suggest a new production Dynaco ST-70 you build yourself and Dave Slagle TVC passive volume control.
  3. rage

Dynaco St-70 Running On a 83 Murcury Vapor Recitifer!!

I thought the 83 didn't need a warmup?
  4. rage

Some progress on the conversion of the Tubelab Simple SE from PCB to point-to-point

What inspired the change from PCB to point to point?
  5. rage

Barter Town says (You have insufficient privileges to reply here.)

I'm having great luck with barter town. I paid for the subscription first day I posted an item for sale!
  6. rage

Advice on rebuilding Dynaco ST-70

the updated board looks like it has PIOs. the resistors are carbon film and a few metal film. the amp looks like its been worked on. if the can cap has been replaced I might just listen to it as is.. if not I'd replace the power supply capacitors with new quality ones and listen to the amp as...
  7. rage

R.I.P. Kegger

RIP Kegger. Will miss you Paul!
  8. rage

They are still the cheapest and biggest bang for buck. Handle them carefully when installing...

They are still the cheapest and biggest bang for buck. Handle them carefully when installing them. Consider EI core if you are going to buy the covers for the toirods.
  9. rage

New: Equal impedance output split-load phase splitter

I ilke a simple LM334 tailed differential pair. :)
  10. rage

KT88, (ect) Single ended amp, SEUL

My guess with using the 4 ohm OT with an 8 ohm speakers is that you'll reflect a higher impedance to the tube, which should lower distortion and power output. I think you'll be fine, especially if you have efficient speakers.
  11. rage

6EJ7's vs. 6JC6A

The 6EJ7s I run are not microphonic.
  12. rage

Tube Power Supplies a Different Approach!

if you look at the digital ballasts for grow lights you might get some ideas for a high voltage supply. they've got them ironed out pretty decent now.. its quite impressive how cool they run compared to a magnetic.
  13. rage

Tube Power Supplies a Different Approach!

fringe poster take over of AK!!! :)
  14. rage

SMAC August 2013

I'll be there Kenny.
  15. rage

st35 clone or fisher 500

I would choose ST35 iron with EFB. I think there are boards available.
  16. rage

Russian capacitors K40Y what do you think?

keep looking....they're out there cheap still.
  17. rage

Taking the plunge: a MOSFET CCS

two 9 volts in series to power the CCS on the bench and set the current. use a 1k resistor or so as load and measure the voltage across it. that should allow you to set the current before installing the CCS. thanks to TRE from tubediy for that.
  18. rage

What are the best PP OPT Transformers ever made?

I enjoyed that first link you posted. The comment in the second paragraph above... I generally find myself in agreement with you... and don't know enough at this point to disagree or agree on the OTL portion. From what I've seen, seems a lot of feedback needed to make OTL work.
  19. rage

6v6 push pull build, Altec 1594B destruction!

it's alive! several variations in... getting stability with direct coupling was/is tricky. the LTP with resistor didn't work too hot... using a pot for balance int eh phase splitter didn't suit me. ended up using an LM334 set to 1ma per 12ax7. balance is pretty good. about 1.5vdc...
  20. rage

12ax7 best practices

nice clean supply is a start... I've heard of using small rf chokes on both filament leads also. dress the a/c filaments well... layout might have an influence.
  21. rage

60s green Altec Pieces. WOW.

the altec SS gear looks cool and can be butchered up and converted to tubes. :)
  22. rage

89db Speakers - How Many Watts?

If a Dynaco ST-70 won't do it for you then just go to SS. You guys and your high power tubes! I'd think 10 watts with a good power supply would deliver the goods for me, even with crappy speakers.
  23. rage

RH84-weak sound

I think properly built either design will make you happy. Alex you've picked up on some of my trolling habits! The important part, whichever you build... is to follow the instructions/schematic to the letter. Then when you are finished you can compare them and find out which you prefer...
  24. rage

Rh universal

lower the current on those output transformers...maybe you are saturating them? I've had pretty good success with KT120 single ended into Edcor XSE15-8-5k ... ~ 80ma no issues. Maybe the LM317 is right on the border line given the bias voltage? I'd actually like to find a cathode regulator...
  25. rage

Altec 604 ????

I'd venture to say the 604 done right would surprise many. I'm a fan. GPA604 being my preference. One day I'll hopefully own a set! For now it's just lowly Econowaves.... :)
Back
Top Bottom