Search results

1. Pete B

Vintage 3-Way How To Build YouTube Video

Very nicely detailed how to build a 3-way, the drivers are not available in the USA but the box construction is covered. I'd use a 10 - 12" woofer for a 3-way to get the best performing system and this could be scaled up:
  2. Pete B

Vandersteen 2Ci Acoustic Coupler Info

Came across these notes from 2005 and thought they might help if anyone needs to replace one. One of the acoustic couplers in my 2Ci s had the spider joint broken right at the voice coil. I pried up at the glue joint for the outer edge of the surround and it broke easily, so I removed the...
  3. Pete B

AES Preprint #2537 (G-4) "Subwoofer Performance for Accurate Reproduction of Music" Oct 1987

I started posting about this in the mid 1990's on the Bass List but had since forgotten the exact reference. Stumbled across the paper tonight and figured that I'd post it here. I'm fairly certain that back then you had to order copies of preprints from the AES office, they might be in their...
  4. Pete B

JBL S3100 "Baby Everest" Inspiration for Large Econowave?

I've been curious about a huge Econowave build with a 12-15" woofer and extra large waveguide. These JBL S2600 were just brought to my attention that look to have an asymmetrical WG and might be inspiration for a similar design. I've never heard them but maybe someday. There's also the S3100...
  5. Pete B

Old (2009) Thread by Zilch with Links on the Large Advent (LA) Econowave

Zilch posted this thread back in 2009 at CSP with links to Make magazine, and a YouTube video for Wired: I'm not sure if you have to login at CSP to see the pictures. https://community.classicspeakerpages.net/topic/5541-original-advent-econowave-update/ YouTube video from Wired: Those were...
  6. Pete B

Dennis Fraker ST70 Board?

I was given some old Dynaco ST70 parts and in the collection was an envelope with a ST70 upgrade board. The return address was Dennis Fraker who I'd never heard of. Some searches turn up that he is "Serious Stereo" and builds single ended 2A3 amps and transmission line speakers. He's talked...
  7. Pete B

Dynaco ST70 Upgrade Board With 6BH6 and 6CG7 LTP? Anyone Know?

I wondering if anyone has come across an upgrade board with this configuration? I've looked at many of them but not found this configuration.
  8. Pete B

Positive Feedback in Tube Power Amps Harman Kardon A-300 and Dyna ST-35

I made this thread hoping to preserve this interesting documentation of an amp with positive feedback: Bottom line: You might think that this is a minor change but the author shows that the positive feedback boosts the 2 stage gain by nearly 20 dB - that's a lot! Over 15 years ago I came...
  9. Pete B

Stability in Feedback Amplifiers - Bode and Nyquist Stability

I started to write this in this tube amp thread concerning a Dyna ST-35 copy then thought it would be better as a stand alone thread. It is written with regard to a tube amp but also applies to SS amps if you remove the output transformer (OT) considerations. For years I thought that this was...
  10. Pete B

Yamaha NS-1000 Cutaway View

Our CT Audio Society (CAS) club visited Audio Classics (and McIntosh) in upstate NY last week. They were nice enough to let us take as many pictures as we wanted. I must say that the owner/manager is a collector having many unique pieces of gear and more vintage McIntosh than the company...
  11. Pete B

Old Williamson Amp Articles

My dad built a Heathkit W-3M Williamson amp back in the 1950s and by the mid 60s it was getting tired and old. It would motorboat, red plated once, and seemed to me to be low on power at about 15W. Another of his friends had a similar single chassis one, also from Heathkit, and he brought it...
  12. Pete B

Tube Amp Delayed High Voltage

I call any Fender amp with circuit boards modern as compared to the vintage amps that mostly used eyelet boards. We got a used modern (2012) Fender Excelsior PP 6V6GT 13W amp at a good price. It has already been upgraded with JJ output tubes and a 15" Eminence Legend speaker. Schematic, it...
  13. Pete B

Mystery Amp with UTC Input and Output Transformers

I think that I got this at a cleaning out sale of the EE lab in college around 1980. Looks to be some sort of complex PA amp, the iron is too good for an organ amp IMO. This chassis is the amp and there must have been another chassis for the power supply. The two transformers are input and...
  14. Pete B

Stancor Transformer and Iron Catalog - Very Interesting

Came across this old Stancor catalog while looking for data on UTC transformers. What I find very interesting is that there's some discussion and performance graphs for swing choke input filters. I remember my dad explaining this to my brother and me when I was very young, he mentioned no cap...
  15. Pete B

UTC Transformer and Iron Catalog - Very Interesting

I have some UTC transformers and stumbled onto this old catalog while doing research. I wonder if it got cut off or if I missed it but I can't seem to find data for the LS-12. It also has nice schematics for regulated power supplies and Williamson style amps using their transformers...
  16. Pete B

Very Old HSU Subwoofer Prototype

Some friends were helping someone in MA install a new Home Theater system and the person said to take these HSU subwoofers. There are no markings on them with one 15" woofer in each one. There is an HSU marked active crossover as seen in the pictures. Dr. Hsu had connections to the Boston...
  17. Pete B

Falcon LS3/5a Silver vs. Gold

Are people aware that the LS3/5a s produced for internal use at the BBC were built with larger inductors in the crossover? They were cheapened for the consumer version. Falcon Acoustics is producing a top notch reproduction of the better one as their Gold version and the common one as the...
  18. Pete B

Powered Minimus 7 and/or Minimus 77

I've been thinking about this for many years and here are some ideas: I'm thinking it would be neat to have a powered version, probably in the Minimus 77 for more room and better bass. But, I don't yet have a pair of M 77 s. BREEZE TPA3116 Thinking of this amp with a 19V Lenovo laptop power...
  19. Pete B

Presentation at Frankenfest 4-1-2023 "Why Waveguide Speakers"

I gave this presentation and demo of the Jackgiff/Bauhausler (JB) Large Advent Econowave at Frankenfest. The slides are available for download from my google drive with this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AwAH8Sb0E3YA3Vx9huzZnakc7Xqh0nyf/view?usp=sharing I'd known for years that WG based...
  20. Pete B

Minimus 7 3D Printed Crossover Holders (Boards) Free!

I'm giving away pairs of these boards that I've printed in pink. I bought a spool of pink PLA for my girlfriend and she never used it. Direct message me here first come first served, 2 pairs available right now, will try to print more people pay shipping in the US boards are free. Please only...
  21. Pete B

LP Gear Stanton STAD0080S Replacement for D80S

I bought this LP Gear VL Stylus to use on our Pickering XSV-3000 and chose it because it is relatively cheap at just under $80. The actual Stanton D80S is a stereohedron tip and I don't think they ever made one for DJ applications. The LP Gear Vivid Line is supposed to be a high performance...
  22. Pete B

1956 Changer Repair Manual

A friend referred me to this for changer repairs: https://worldradiohistory.com/BOOKSHELF-ARH/Bookshelf-Gernsback/Gernsback-59-Servicing-Record-Changers-Mileaf-1956.pdf
  23. Pete B

Garrard Zero 100 In The House

I was a young teen when the Z100 came out and I thought that it was overly complex and I really didn't like it. Now that I've seen a linear tracker that didn't work very well and how bad inner groove distortion can be, not that I think it will solve IGD, I got very curious to try one. One came...
  24. Pete B

JBL 2414HC Blown Look Inside - Repair?

@Steve Smiley Found some of these drivers blown on ebay and purchased them. I've tried several times and never found any but he generously sent 2 of them to me. Thank you Steve! This is my first time trying to repair a CD driver, have not even looked at many inside. Here's the first one...
  25. Pete B

Excellent Crossover Design/Simulation for JBL 2414HC on JBL 6x12 Clone Waveguide

We must give EarlK credit for tracing Mike's measurement curves, researching how JBL designs a crossover for this combo and then coming up with a design taylored to the combo that we're working with. His design, that he posted here, is the basis for this simulation: Outstanding Performance From...
Back
Top Bottom