Search results

1. S

Lafayette Stereo-25 Info?

Would you believe I found one at my local ReStore and bought it for twenty bucks! It’s now in the backyard powering a very old Jensen coax in a very heavy plywood cabinet. Tunes from an Echo Dot.
  2. S

Which is better... ported or sealed speaker system?

Actually, you would have gotten many answers. In all possible directions and degrees of correctness. And many might start with: all things being equal... Be aware, they never are. Most of us have at least a couple examples of each. Sometimes other alignments as well.
  3. S

Rectilinear Mini III ?

Very nice speaker. Smooth mids, nice highs, solid lows. Mine are on top of some bookcases, so I’m augmenting them with a small sub. They can rock a large bedroom or a good sized living room with no problem.
  4. S

Wireless surround options

I use 1” wide copper tape, stuck to the walls. I solder wires your it behind the speakers and wherever the other end is. Then I cover it with two coats of Sheetrock mud, sanding after each coat. Then paint to match the wall. Completely invisible.
  5. S

Food for thought.

Sounds like a surface plate. Mighty big job no matter what.
  6. S

Speaker shopping!

Smaller advents are rated at 4 ohms, and dip below that. As much as I like them, they might not be the best choice for this application.
  7. S

What are your favorite speakers to look at.

DQ-10, Quads, Maggies, Ohm-F. That’s what I like the looks of. What I can afford is another story. Advents, KLH, Rectilinear, ESS-7. All good, solid speakers. Just not visually wonderful. Oh well, such is life. Still love my stereo gear.
  8. S

New to me OLAs, preferred replacement woofer?

Either repair both, if possible, or replace with repaired original units. There are no one-for-one replacements available, but plenty of repaired ones out there. I’ve done many surround jobs on them, but no complete reconing.
  9. S

Bookshelf speakers suggestions for Kenwood KA 6004

Smaller Advent. I had mine set up like that for a time, before I swapped things around. It sounded great!
  10. S

Toslink cable... does it really make a difference?

I’m running a cheap 35 footer through the wall from my tv to my HT receiver. Sounds fine. All the video and speaker runs go through there too. Also, in general, the fewer the connections the better.
  11. S

Mixing Audio Eras

As long as the electrical requirements for each component are met by the other components in the chain, there shouldn’t be a problem. For instance: I’m running either a Dual turntable from the late ‘70’s, or the output of a six year old tv, or an iPad/iPhone into a set of 1960 Dynaco tube...
  12. S

Can a multimeter measure voltage in a 120v ac outlet?

I would heartily recommend that you get someone knowledgeable to show you, in person, how to use a multimeter. It appears that you have way less than the required knowledge to safely fool around with voltages and currents that could quite easily kill you. No offense intended, it’s just that...
  13. S

Old Large Advent Speakers?

Do it yourself. Very easy speakers to refoam. I’ve done several pairs now. All came out perfectly. They could use more power, just don’t try to drive them too hard or you might burn out a tweeter from hard clipping the amp. Tweeters hate square waves... BTW, those are woofers, not subs. Subs...
  14. S

Can anyone identify this cartridge?

Wasn’t the E2000III kinda clear brown? There’s a thread on here all about Empires.
  15. S

Wharfedale W60 restoration

I think you’ll like the W60. I have a pair of them in the garage that sound great for jazz and 50’s-70’s rock. I’m pushing them with an ICC 60wpc amp.
  16. S

Speaker suggestions

Maybe you can narrow it down to basic speaker sound type. East Coast/West Coast/British. East coast speakers are typically very neutral, with deep, tight bass. Good for about any type of music. They tend to just get out of the way and let you listen. Advent, KLH are examples. West coast speakers...
  17. S

Building new speaker cabinets, need specifications

I built a set of double advents many years ago. I used wood glue and plain old butt joints. I did, however, hold the whole thing together with Sheetrock screws into predrilled holes that left the heads below flush. I filled the holes with bondo and painted the cabinets flat n Bk lack as a...
  18. S

Can anyone identify this cartridge?

It’s an Empire, but can’t say which one without reading the label/etching on the bottom.
  19. S

Math help with speaker sensitivity

I’m running mine with an ST-70. Fills up a two-story living room with a connected loft, dining room, and kitchen with more than enough smooth, deep sound to annoy the wifely one. :)
  20. S

New to me soon Dual 1242, Need help with vintage Cartridge

I’ve been running a 1245 since new in the late ‘70’s. Shure M91, V15 series, M97xe, Empire 2000, Stanton 680. All sound very nice. I would think any vintage cart that works with a light-to-medium mass tonearm would be ok. Hope it gets there ok.
  21. S

Singing the praises of Deoxit!

Gotta love that D5. For years I have put up with two issues with my Dynaco tube rig. Dropouts in one channel, usually the left, but sometimes the right. Temporarily fixed by tapping on a tube, usually the appropriate driver tube on the ST70 amp. Solved by cleaning all the pins and sockets on the...
  22. S

Anyone Recognize This Receiver?

Hmmmmm. Looks like a Super Eleven to me too...
  23. S

Linn Tukan - What am I hearing?

Have you considered adding another pair of speakers, such as first or second generation advents or KLH 5 or 6? Either to a second set of speaker outputs, or better, a second amp that would allow you to set the added high frequencies to a level you would like. A dedicated sub amp feeding a set of...
  24. S

Subwoofer cable question

It will work fine. So will darn near anything with an rca plug on each end. Ive used everything from crappy rca jumpers, to crappy gold-plated rca jumpers, to various types of rca video cables. I tend to use gold-plated rca coax cables. Rca because they will fit. Duh! Gold so they don’t tarnish...
  25. S

Why no pre/sub output?

Get a sub with speaker level inputs and run it from the speaker outputs of the new amp. Either run the speakers from the same outputs or run the speakers from the speaker outputs on the sub.
Back
Top Bottom