Search results

1. RobRoy

The rarest speakers you own or have owned?

A pair of custom cabinets with one of these in each one Electro-Voice 12TRXB
  2. RobRoy

Just got the 2024 Music Direct Catalog in the mail, and the prices for gear are insane! How much better is this newer stuff compared to vintage?

I know. That's why I said it's like complaining. If you prefer, I could have said "calling out" or "noticing". Sorry. I didn't mean to accuse you of complaining.
  3. RobRoy

Potpourri Of Interesting *Old* Ads - Anything is game other than Audio!

And this is what I drove in high school (a two door). You'd think it would hardly be a chick magnet, but it had a secret weapon: Fold down seats. I watched about half of Woodstock at the drive-in. :rflmao:
  4. RobRoy

This one is near and dear to my heart because I used to actually use one of those. I was a mainframe COBOL programmer at the time. It was my "use from home" one. Except I didn't have a pool... And yeah, it was a pain. It didn't last long.
  5. RobRoy

You're right, I was axactly backwards. It's easy to remember because the Japanese war ended one day after the anniversary of the beginning of the European war.
  6. RobRoy

I remember these from when I was a kid. Anything white on the glass temporarily disappeared when the cold drink created condensation. The "Mad men" days were, in a way, a lot more open about "risque" ads than we are today. Today we just show a lot of flesh in ads. Back then they talked about it...
  7. RobRoy

I find this one fascinating because of the timing. This is one month after VE-DAY.
  8. RobRoy

And the innuendo is strong with this one. Every man wants to be a smooth ride. His car, I mean! :rflmao:
  9. RobRoy

Just got the 2024 Music Direct Catalog in the mail, and the prices for gear are insane! How much better is this newer stuff compared to vintage?

To me, that's like complaining about the price of the new Ferraris. i.e., regarding the price, if you have to ask, you can't afford it. :rflmao:
  10. RobRoy

The things I hate thread.........

I'm gonna try it. They're pretty easy to trap around here. In fact, my friend that hunts on my property set out some feeder corn to attract deer and the "woods camera" snapped a picture of over a dozen raccoons chowing down on it at one time.
  11. RobRoy

The things I hate thread.........

The way I see it, the closest thing to love is hate. You have to care in order to hate. Indiference might be worse for the "person" you feel it toward. But that said, something that negatively affects your life can be something you care about. In that vein, I hate Racoons. They've wiped out my...
  12. RobRoy

An elegant solution to the power strip

There is tons of that stuff available these days. It's why I put regular wall switches in my new music room with plain outlets at the top (out of sight) for plugging in the ceiling lights. Aftermarket plug-in dimmers and on-off switches, usually controllable from my phone, wherever I am in the...
  13. RobRoy

What cigar are you enjoying with your tunes?

After finishing the railing on my deck:
  14. RobRoy

Opinions on a Dual 1212?

Yep. That's what the guy in the video above was saying. He did say they are a really good choice for those throwing new guts into old console stereo cabinets. Partly because of their size.
  15. RobRoy

Opinions on a Dual 1212?

If you've not seen this, I thought you might like it. I base it on your post above:
  16. RobRoy

Time for new speakers. Suggestions appreciated.

I've owned a fair number of decent speakers and crappy ones. I'd never recommend any of them because we all have different needs and budgets. I used to think the best speakers had dome tweeters. Then I became a big fan of horns, and now I'm a big fan of line array, for various reasons. But the...
  17. RobRoy

Vinyl only spin list

Love the record, but I never figured out exactly what he said... :rflmao:
  18. RobRoy

Vinyl only spin list

Promise not to laugh. Because this was an older album that I have never played, I gave it a good brush cleaning and dropped the needle you see here. That is a stanton DJ non-nude conical tracking at around 3.5 grams. I got two cartridges in headshells about 20 years ago at Guitar center for $50...
  19. RobRoy

How much do You Care About Soundstage Height, Depth, Instrument Location, etc.?

My son in law and I were visiting Definitive audio on Roosevelt in Seattle a few years ago and listening to a few hundred thousand dollars worth of equipment ( I used to work with one of the salespeople there a few decades ago). There were two chairs side by side. One in the middle and one right...
  20. RobRoy

How much do You Care About Soundstage Height, Depth, Instrument Location, etc.?

My room is 16' wide and 30' deep. My speakers are on the short wall (from which the ceiling rises to a peak in the middle of the room and drops back down on the other end), about six-seven feet apart. My listening chair is roughly 11 feet from that wall. But right now I'm listening to a mono...
  21. RobRoy

I Recently Became An Audiophile.

I started playing bass in 1998. I became a little bit of a gearhead regarding guitar and bass amps. I was perplexed by the continuing popularity of tube amps for bass and guitar until I read an article about it. Bottom line is, as I explain it to people: A hi-fi reproduces music. It means you...
  22. RobRoy

I Recently Became An Audiophile.

I compare Tube audio to vinyl records. I really love my vinyl and it's the only musical source I use when I'm "just" listening to music. But that's because I grew up with records. I was a hi-fi salesman between 1976 and 1983. It's part of my DNA. It's just cool stuff, and the ritual of playing...
Back
Top Bottom