Search results

1. shimniok

Turntables in the movies

Elliot's turntable in E.T. This has been bugging me for months now and didn't see an answer here or anywhere else. I just *had* to figure it out. :D Elliot's turntable looks like an Aurex / Toshiba SR-F100.
  2. shimniok

Why do you have multiple gears?

My gear obsession started a few years ago with me wanting to try different speakers, turntables, and receivers -- and also the thrill of the find. After awhile it got pretty out of hand, so I started selling off stuff. We're down to "only" 4 systems, now: the main basement system for...
  3. shimniok

Anyone in Denver interested in a meet?

I will keep an eye on the thread and mark May 17 down. Maybe I can make it to this one. :) I've been out of the loop for ages.
  4. shimniok

Hey, your pm box is full. :( Thanks for the Turntable Strobe purchase, much appreciated!! --Michael

Hey, your pm box is full. :( Thanks for the Turntable Strobe purchase, much appreciated!! --Michael
  5. shimniok

I'm Reminded Why it Sounds So Good.

I think there's residual mouse pee that smells when mine warms up. MMmmm. Good times. Man I haven't fired up the tape deck in ages. Maybe tonight or tomorrow. My turntables have been down for months... hopefully *something* analog works around here.
  6. shimniok

What are you drinking now?

Chocolate Box Shiraz. This stuff is incredible. http://chocolateboxwines.com/wine-details-shiraz.php
  7. shimniok

cMoy headphone amps on Tindie.com

Though I sell on Tindie (it's like etsy for electronics kits), these aren't my items, so I am unaffiliated with these. But figured some folks might find these of interest. I don't know much about headphone amps but I guess this is a well known DIY design with single dual rail op amp. Anyway hope...
  8. shimniok

What do you call this style/look/vibe?

simulated light leak, cross processed, maybe some hue adjustment toward blue...?
  9. shimniok

Need help selecting speakers

IIWY I'd jump all over the Polks. My HK 395i in the living room seems to work very well with the Polk Monitor 4's hooked up. I am regularly surprised at how nice it sounds. By comparison, I had an HK 680 for awhile and ran Boston Acoustics T1030s and NHT 2.5i's and they sounded fine but never...
  10. shimniok

Sony TC-630 Need Help

I think this is similar to the TC230 I had for awhile. Those rubber drive wheels get hard and smooth with age. That happened to mine and it didn't want to spin the reels properly. You can be a rubber rejuvenator (I think I used Techspray brand but I don't remember for sure) which may restore the...
  11. shimniok

Looks like fun! Wished I could've been there.
  12. shimniok

Unfortunately, I've had something come up and won't be able to make it.
  13. shimniok

Where's the GTG going to be? I have it in my calendar... would love to hang out with you guys again, it's been ages.
  14. shimniok

I have a problem... more speakers today. Boston T1030. :( :)

Nice job on the repair!! I think I did mine with USB mouse wire which is really thin, like 30-something gauge. Mine burned up in exactly the same place. Thank you Boston Acoustics -- better a burned out wire than a toasted voice coil. Discoloration is probably residue from solder paste or...
  15. shimniok

hoomans .. making my life difficult + cat dilema

If I lost one of my cats I'd search non stop and if I found it I'd sure not hesitate to take it back AND if I couldn't I'd leave my contact info whether or not the person I talked to asked for it. I love my cats, so I'd want them back ASAP.
  16. shimniok

I have a problem... more speakers today. Boston T1030. :( :)

Hey, glad to see you got a pair of these! Congrats! (I was the local whose T1030's he heard) :banana: I blew one of my tweeters not long ago and fortunately it was just a small length of wire that was burned out and it was easily repaired by soldering in a graft of wire. Maybe in your case...
  17. shimniok

Technics SL-QD33 Auto Start/Return Issues

Funny you should post this; my SL-33QD just started doing exactly the same thing several weeks ago. I press the cueing button, light comes on, arm doesn't lift. I press start, light comes on, arm doesn't lift or move. It plays if I set the arm down manually and auto return doesn't work...
  18. shimniok

Happy birthday to Shimniok !

Thanks friends!!! :D Violet is doing great. 3 and a half already... she is something else. Great imagination, comes up some wild thoughts... yesterday she told me that we had to go on an errand to Sydney (as in Australia, like in Finding Nemo)... I asked if she knew that there was an ocean...
  19. shimniok

Looks like a fun time!! Sorry I missed out. :(
  20. shimniok

Sure hope I can make it!
  21. shimniok

I'm a definite maybe. :)
  22. shimniok

is this real? 5.56 nato vs. 1/4" steel

Not identical. Though 5.56x51mm NATO is same bullet size as .223 Remington, and while the former is derived from the latter, the 5.56 has more charge and a different primer and case. Not safe to fire 5.56x51mm in a .223 Remington rifle...
  23. shimniok

What percent do speakers play in the "Sound" of a system

After much thought over the last few years, the question I ask is: where's the weakest spot in the system that needs upgrading? What will provide the most bang for the buck? That really depends on what you have now. But I took a piecemeal, evolutionary approach to my system, rather than buying...
  24. shimniok

Slide Guitar Blues recommendations?

Check out "Live at Blue Cat Blues" Jim Suhler & Alan Haynes
  25. shimniok

Slide Guitar Blues recommendations?

Yeah he is astonishing ... what's more amazing, he doesn't technically play lap steel, he plays a thing he invented called a "guit-steel" which is a two-neck guitar, part slide, part electric... crazy!
Back
Top Bottom