Search results

1. sanlanman

anyone else running vintage Empire carts?

And, Merry Christmas to all of you.
  2. sanlanman

Album crates at Target

Here is a pic of 3 of these unfinished crates, that I finished and put to album storage use. Also, on the far left are 2 of the wood file crates, that I cut the rods out of and put to album storage use.
  3. sanlanman

Album crates at Target

Heads Up, Target is selling a wood crate that is ideal for LP albums, (you know - vinyls). Its an unfinished wood crate made from Paulownia Wood. Outside dimensions are 14" L x 13" W x 11" H with 3/8" thick walls. These don't look like plywood. Surface texture is a bit course so they will need...
  4. sanlanman

End Thread?
  5. sanlanman

Best fit with a empire 2000Z cartridge, carbon fiber or aluminum tone arm?

Any link to that Korf compliance calculator?
  6. sanlanman

Best fit with a empire 2000Z cartridge, carbon fiber or aluminum tone arm?

my Empire 2000Z plays wonderfully on my Sumiko Premier MMT tonearm which is basically a rebadged Jelco arm.
  7. sanlanman

RM60 Rch 370 mH Lch 347 mH Rch 1083 ohm Lch 1075 ohm The listed replacement stylus is S55E Tangerine, same as for the RM50. The RM75 calls for an S75LAC Ivory replacement stylus. Haven't yet seen an RM80 in the wild. Wish I could stumble onto an NOS S600LAC or and S75LAC, not holding my...
  8. sanlanman

Waulta STILL IS the go to Empire Guy. Desert rat and semantics, sheesh. That reminds me. I've got an RM60 cart body that I need to test out, and see which way I'm going to go on a stylus.
  9. sanlanman

You Betchya. Waulta, has been the go to knowledge guy in this thread.
  10. sanlanman

At one time, our Canadian friends could get the TONAR line of replacement styli for the chunkie models. I have a TONAR red replacement intended for the 400TC and equal models that sounds pretty good. Seller was a member here, but that's been several years ago. I mean, the genuine Empire yellow...
  11. sanlanman

All the above carts that I listed can use any of the Pfanstiehl 241 or 242 replacements, some choices may lead to slight tonal imbalances. Speaking of which, just to clear the air, the yellow styli that come included with many old Chunky bodies sold on the big Bay auction site are the lowest end...
  12. sanlanman

OK, since we are on the subject of the 200E or mysterious 200F, lets group our knowledge into a general consensus on the various Chunky cart familys, which IIRC are the last of the domestically made Empire cartridges. Here's what I know or think I know; please feel free to correct me. (NOTE: I...
  13. sanlanman

Yea, regarding the big auction site and Empire cartridges; there is a lot of mis-information or banality to many of the Empire cart and styli ads. Occasionally that works to the knowledgeable buyers advantage, such as when not long ago an RM50 with broken stylus got posted cheap and I got it...
  14. sanlanman

IMHO, That's about the right price for those conical, probably Swiss made, bottom of the line replacement styli for the Chunky series cart bodies. I don't understand why there is such a huge gap between these at these prices and the better but scarce elliptical replacements for the Chunkies. At...
  15. sanlanman

What cartridge do I buy for this turntable?

Orrtofon 2m Red, Blue or Bronze, or Nagoaka MP110 or MP150
  16. sanlanman

My first real component changer after I moved up from the Panasonic all-in-one stereo, was a Dual 1219 with a Stanton 681 EEE mounted in it. My My My, times gone by.
  17. sanlanman

Some few years back I was able to purchase some 66PE/X and 66QE/X N.O.S. cartridge bodies still in the dealer pill pack. The seller said he bought them that way from a guy in Atlanta. The styli were robbed out of them to sell as replacements, so the story goes. I am starting to thin out some of...
  18. sanlanman

Yea, from that angle, it looks like the VTA is low to me too.
  19. sanlanman

Waulta, I sent you a message. I have too many 66 series cart bodies.
  20. sanlanman

JVC Turntables - often overlooked and underappreciated

My "upstairs" system's table is a JVC QL-50 (an armless QL-5) with the Sumiko Premier MMT arm (built by Jelco) running an old Empire 2000Z cart with new old stock genuine Empire z stylus. That table is not going anywhere anytime soon.
  21. sanlanman

If we didn't have Walt and this big Empire thread, how would we even begin to know the true identity of all these "private number" Empire carts?
  22. sanlanman

Thanks Walt, I had forgotten about that Pfan catalog saved on line and I found both TAE, EVG and Walco numbers in it.
  23. sanlanman

QUESTION: Do any of you data or catalog hounds have a copy of the Empire by TAE catalog numbering system for the original Empire cartridges. Neil at Russell Industries says that although they bought the remnants of the old TAE /Empire replacement styli division, they no longer use that numbering...
  24. sanlanman

Nope, the clips are the Achilles heal of the Empire blob cartridges if damaged or missing. The cartridge body is almost worthless without a clip yet there are a bunch of various models on eBay with no clip sold by either clueless sellers or sellers fishing for a clueless buyer. You literally...
  25. sanlanman

80/20 Rack Supports

Reviving an old thread. Here's my 80/20 rack build on another AK thread: https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/diy-high-end-80-20-equipment-rack.761828/page-4#post-14012906
Back
Top Bottom