Search results

1. C

Fiberglass as dampening material

Rock wool, also called mineral wool, is not asbestos. Asbestos is a naturally occurring fiber that can split down to microscopic size. Rockwool is made by spinning a molten mineral, like basalt, into a fiber. It will not split into microscopic fibers like asbestos. Here is the toxicological...
  2. C

A serious question.

I don't know how much my experience may help you, but you may find some inspiration in it somewhere. I had a mom and two teenager raccoons in my attic a few years ago. After some web searching I came up with a solution that worked. First thing I did was slide a work light duct taped to the...
  3. C

MB Quart Speaker Deal?

I got a little more info on these. The subwoofer is a WF-100R and the large speakers are Domain 55’s. Assuming they are in good condition, these are a killer deal at $275.00. I suspect they haven’t been snapped because no one around here is familiar with MB Quart. I don’t want them, but if...
  4. C

MB Quart Speaker Deal?

There is a local listing for "commercial grade MB Quartz" speakers. I know nothing about the brand and I assume that the seller doesn't either. In any case, they are asking $275 for them. I assume that it includes all of the speakers in the photo and that hopefully, they are in good...
  5. C

The monkey coffin must die

Think of the possibilities, listening to DSOTM at full blast with the wife sound asleep next to me!!!
  6. C

One ENORMUS reel to reel

Where's the shoulder strap and headphone jack?
  7. C

EPI 202 Restoration / Repair

Late post alert! Drum, you've done a beautiful job on the cabinets. I now feel compelled to clean mine up. Mine are flawless, except for somewhat dry veneer and light marks that will likely steam out, so I don't have much to do beyond light refinishing and oiling. I've owned my 202's since...
  8. C

You Tube Imbecile destroying AR-2a loudspeaker

We can only hope he isn't a brain surgeon!
  9. C

Finally scored a pair of EPI 350's

MarZutra, I think you can use the velcro if you find a way to support the hanging weight of the grills. Google "picture hanging cleats" and see what you think of them. You can put those along the top of the grills to support the weight and then the velcro will hold them tightly against the...
  10. C

BIC Formula 4 score ??

That reads like it was written by an intern in their sales department! "Based on an eclusive physic principle and coupled with some of the most advanced engineering ever concentrated on a speaker system. B-I-C Venturi speakers represent the ultimate in the state of the art.." Wow!
  11. C

EPI Speaker ID?

Heck, I need to move to your neighborhood! SA does not put out anything better than white box stereo stuff in Houston.
  12. C

Epi speakers 6 feet tall?

My 202's, that I bought at the shop I worked at in 1975, came with the circular EPI badges and Epicure on the terminal board labels.
  13. C

EPI Speaker ID?

Yes, the terminals are on the bottom, along with tweeter level control and 4/16 ohm impedence switch. The label on the terminal board will give model and serial numbers. Some EPI fans don't care for this design. I have a set I bought new more than 40 years ago and like them enough to...
  14. C

How long have you had your oldest (in your possession) component/speaker?

I used Dayton DMPC-10 10uF 250V polypropylene caps from Parts Warehouse and lightly stuffed them with Polyfil. I did some other things, but I think those, besides the new woofers, gave the biggest improvements. I'm really pleased with them. Here's a link to Huw Powell's page on the 202's that...
  15. C

How long have you had your oldest (in your possession) component/speaker?

I have a Yamaha YP701 turntable and EPI 202 speakers I purchased in 1975 that are still part of my main system. I put new Human woofers in the speakers and recapped them three years ago. The turntable has had numerous new belts and cartridges over the last 41 years. They all still look and...
  16. C

EPI 100 Speakers Modification

Hobie, don't feel too bad. I was upset that I couldn't hear the upper "sizzle" of cymbals that I new existed on certain songs 30-40 years ago, so after rebuilding my speakers, I had my hearing properly checked about a year ago. I found that it rolls off sharply above 8khz. The good news is...
  17. C

Update ,Identified, and pics the 6' tall speakers are, the mighty EPI 1000

This is great! Maybe we are seeing the genesis of another epic 1000 rebuild. I am already captivated by the badges. I've never seen the round logo combined with the Epicure logo. I like it.
  18. C

A Really Special EPI 100 Purchase

MarZutra, thanks for your reply. It's weird, you apparently posted it just before my last post and I didn't see it until now. I haven't listened to a set of 100's in many, many years. Once I get new capacitors in these, I'm really interested in a-b'ing them against my 150's. One other thing...
  19. C

Thanks for the referral to Parts Express. I used the Dayton caps from them when I refreshed my 50's, 150's and 202's, and I am very satisfied with the results. My experience with my 150's and 202's is that the butyl surrounds can look fine, but stiffen with age and result in significant loss...
  20. C

audiomagnate, here you go. It's pretty fuzzy, but you can see it with the M100 label. It is exactly the same terminal board and pot that are on my 202's and 150's.
  21. C

Speaker Burn-in Process...(Fact or Fiction)

I think there may be something to burning them in. I replaced the woofers and capacitors in 40 year old EPI 150's and 202's about 4 years ago. The original woofers' butyl surrounds were very stiff, certainly not what they were 40 years ago. When I first powered them up with new Human woofers...
  22. C

23. C

I am listening to these beauties that I bought this morning as I write. They are early 100's with potentiometer, butyl surrounds and masonite tweeters. The cabinets only have light marks and can be brought to 99% with less than an hour's work. The surrounds feel and look good, but I suspect...
  24. C

Epi speakers 6 feet tall?

I have my fingers crossed for you. I was an apartment animal when I bought my 202's in 1975 and disturbing neighbors was not an uncommon problem, even though I tried hard to play nice. Though the 1000's will be an order of magnitude worse, I wouldn't hesitate to jump at the opportunity...
  25. C

Looking at Re-Belting my Nak LX-5

Thanks tapetech, I have ordered belts and tire from Marrs and will certainly check the grease issue.
Back
Top Bottom