Search results

1. ranf1970

Internet rumor: Koetsu has ceased operations?

Sad news. These carts were always way out of my budget, but always wanted to hear one. Beautiful looking, also.
  2. ranf1970

The Return of the Giant Hogweed or How I Fell Back into the Vinyl Rabbit Hole!

I think that your story is one we can all relate to. :)
  3. ranf1970

Best budget cartridges of all time post yours

I'll be the first to say the Ortofon Omega.
  4. ranf1970

Looking for JVC JL-A20 service manual

PM sent
  5. ranf1970

Pioneer PL-10 odd optional item

I have a similar device which more than likely belonged to Dust Bug on my PL-12D, but it is on the other side. Since this is so close to the tonearm, bill7621 might be right since I've never seen a dust bug mounted so close to the tonearm.
  6. ranf1970

Dual Tracking Force and Stylus

This is the information you need for the OM5: Tracking force range 1.5-2.0 g (15-20 mN) Tracking force, recommended 1.75 g (17.5 mN) This would also mean that the anti-skate should also be in the same area. Do you happen to have the owner's manual for the table?
  7. ranf1970

Dual Tracking Force and Stylus

Hey @finegrind , Hope this finds you well. These are correct. With #2, just check the maker of the cartridge to see what the tracking force is. Which cartridge do you have? Is it 100% original (cartridge and stylus) or are you using an aftermarket stylus? The stylus is also called the needle...
  8. ranf1970

Strange Music Hall 7.1 Plinth Sorbothane Issue

Maybe try calling Music Hall Customer Support to see if they might have some advice?
  9. ranf1970

Cartridge for Music Hall MMF-7.1

Since you have a phono preamp that can handle MC carts, I would recommend the Denon DL-103. I have the DL-103R and really like it. However, I am not familiar with the arm that is on this TT, so I'm not sure if it would be a good match for the Denon. I'm sure others will also have other opinions.
  10. ranf1970

Cartridge for Music Hall MMF-7.1

Do you have a certain price range that you are looking at? What genres of music do you mostly listen to?
  11. ranf1970

Turntable Identification.

Here you go. :) https://techdas.jp/pages/air-force-v/
  12. ranf1970

Need some tips for re tipping a denon Mc cartridge

Another vote for Joseph.
  13. ranf1970

Denon DL-110 for Denon DP-45F

Modest but nice! If you are looking for a warm sound and one that might play well with all genres, take a look at the Nagaoka MP-110. I have the older brother of this one, the MP-11. This doesn't have the fancier stylus as the AT Microline (ML), but it does sound good and would be good for a...
  14. ranf1970

Denon DL-110 for Denon DP-45F

Hey @Analog Dawg , You are right, the Denon DL-110 has risen in price over the last few years and I also find it difficult to justify that cart at its current price. Having said that, I got one about 10 years ago when the price was much more sane. The AT-VM95ML has a good reputation and also...
  15. ranf1970

Dual 1229 idler wheel not contacting the motor

If it is similar to my 1009 SK, the idler wheel is being held in place by a small c clip that will probably need to be removed carefully with a small flat head screwdriver. Depending on the age of the idler wheel and how much use it has gotten, you may need to replace the rubber or get a new wheel.
  16. ranf1970

Grado Cart Sound Question

In that case, I might raise it up to around 1.7 to see what happens.
  17. ranf1970

Is my Sony turntable HAUNTED?

Is it belt or direct drive? If belt, is that still in good condition? After two decades, it might have stretched out. It might also be a good idea to maybe get the table looked at and possibly recapped? Maybe lube it? See if the Sony's RCAs might be corroded/dirty and then clean them. Nice...
  18. ranf1970

Cartridge or stylus recommendation?

I have the Shure with the same exact stylus and the Nagaoka MP-11 (older brother of the MP-110) with original stylus. I think that both of these carts are winners. I would go with the updated stylus for the Shure. The JICO HE is on my wantlist, but I'm going to wait. Something for a little...
  19. ranf1970

D'Oh! I can't believe how easy the fix was. I wish I had been paying closer attention. It looks like the "High Filter" switch on my Sansui 800 was set to "On". :thumbsdown: As soon as I turned it off, BAM! No more muffled sound! I feel so much better now that my Grado sounds normal again and...
  20. ranf1970

Interesting enough, Grado said the arm should not be an issue. I had it set at 1.5 as instructed for the Green 3. I had no intention of removing the goo. I understand the importance of it. I was hoping that they would repot it, but no dice.
  21. ranf1970

I was in contact with Grado Customer Service and while helpful, the issue was not resolved. They said not to touch the goo and leave well enough alone. They then suggested that it might be a dirty diamond and to clean that, but I know that isn't it either since it is clean. The other...
  22. ranf1970

I don't believe that there is a dance to my Grado.
  23. ranf1970

I'll double check that. I have also checked the headshell lead wires and they are correct. I've also read about the black goo that Grado carts have and am not sure what the state of that is and if that might be causing the issue.
  24. ranf1970

Hey @jrtrent , when I got the cart, the stylus that was on it was broken. I believe that it was the original one with silver dots. I bought the Green 3 stylus since it was a little higher up in the line and I also had a coupon so it actually came out cheaper than the Black 3 stylus. This is my...
  25. ranf1970

I have played many records of different genres and they all had the same sound.
Back
Top Bottom