Search results

1. MannyE

ChiFi turntable

4 years after that... wondering if it's still working?
  2. MannyE

Thiel CS2 decision time

I should have kept mine.
  3. MannyE

Thiel CS2 decision time

Yes this is also what I have heard. However, if they are in good shape, I highly recommend them. With a powered sub they absolutely rock. I would ask the seller to crank them for a while just to make sure those surrounds don’t disintegrate. I don’t remember if they are paper or foam, I think...
  4. MannyE

Thiel CS2 decision time

I had a pair of Thiel CS2 and if you have the powerful amp needed to drive them, I would highly recommend getting them as long as you don't have to replace the surrounds. I was lucky enough to get some original replacements, but I think they are unobtanium now. I hope I am wrong about that one.
  5. MannyE

Yahmaha CR-2020 + ADS Loudspeakers

To be even more clear, a full restoration on a CR-2020 can easily run over $1,000 plus the cost of shipping that monster to one of the few qualified techs that can still do the work. The result will be a beautiful, powerful receiver with one of the best FM tuners I have ever seen. Shame FM...
  6. MannyE

Does vinyl suck? Does audio tape suck too?

I dunno, does making coffee with those ridiculously complicated machines suck? Does shaving with straight razors suck? Does cooking over an open flame suck? The Keurig, Gillette and microwave all do the same thing and there are arguments they do them better. I But that's not the point.
  7. MannyE

Component with the Biggest Impact on the Sound

Hands down the most important "component" and also the most overlooked. Before you do ANYTHING to your equipment, getting the room right is essential to getting the best sound. Without correcting the room, it's like expecting to make a good sandwich but you don't use bread.
  8. MannyE

Exterior cleaning question

I generally find that water and a terrycloth cleans 90% of dirt without harming the silk screening. Even on record album covers! A Magic Eraser would scare me, but it's good to know it worked. Did you work up to the Magic Eraser, or did you just go in with that first?
  9. MannyE

What's Your Audio Issue Today?

You accidentally put it next to Steely Dan Aja.
  10. MannyE

I might have to shut down the listening room and sell off all my gear

Funny you use Linda as an example... because of the supernuclear palsy... what a shit diagnosis for a wonderful artist.
  11. MannyE

Why does this combo sound so good?

Look bro, I don't know why this shit happens but be happy when it does. Years ago, I decided to see how it would sound if I took my left and right home theater arrays (DeFTech BP 2002) and bi-amped them with 4 of the 5 channels from my Outlaw 750 amp (plus the internal sub amp... so technically...
  12. MannyE

What's Your Audio Issue Today?

Mine is exhaustion. I'm so tired of spending hours and thousands to set up a system and then there's a hum. Or a speaker is dead. Or the bias is tilted to the left or right. Or the cart is expired. Or now the belt on the turntable is slipping... Sigh. I get it now why this hobby is...
  13. MannyE

Does live sound suck?

It really depends on the tech. I recently went to a restaurant in Miami with an outdoor patio where a decent cover band was playing 70's and 80's rock and new wave stuff and I was amazed at how clean and clear the sound was. It sounded almost like a studio recording but with the added vitality...
  14. MannyE

Off-grid HiFi?

Victrola. No power needed. Wind er up and do the Charleston
  15. MannyE

No way. Even at school speakers were always loud, never an ear plug in sight.
  16. MannyE

Hi Fi vs surround audio

You are describing two completely different things. Doing the "Memorex Advertisement" is something very few people have the time or the inclination to do. The vast majority of people listen to music the way you do. Many HiFi guys are nerds who gatekeep and want to tell you how to enjoy your...
  17. MannyE

Wish they would have said that to me in 1982 when I would stand in front of the stage at CBGB.
  18. MannyE

Have you looked into the new tinnitus therapy? I hear good things. I'm going to try it out this year to see if it gives me some relief.
  19. MannyE

Advice: Which Cartridge Would You Use And Why

I had the M97xE and I didn't like it. Sold all three of 'em.
  20. MannyE

The Horn Shoppe - Ed

Anyone know what is the deal with Ed? Is he OK? I went to the website and there seems to be nothing happening. Facebook seems to also be abandoned. I really liked Ed and hope he's OK.
  21. MannyE

Advice: Which Cartridge Would You Use And Why

I love MM carts and I love the ones that have Gyger II styluses. Stilii? I dunno. Anyway, that's my favorite.
  22. MannyE

The 'Under 300 Club' (TT's under 300 bucks)

I love this thread! Under $300 is, frankly the price where you "win the lottery" except the odds are about 1 in 5 instead of 1/160000000000 I don't think there are any new under 300 tables on sale that equal OPs criteria, but there are plenty of "under 300" for sale in every state in the USA...
  23. MannyE

Holy Grail Turntables

Yes but let's say you were offered $10K to spend on a TT and records. What would you get?
  24. MannyE

Holy Grail Turntables

The more I listen to turntables, the more I am realizing that the "holy grail" is a system that just works to give you the sound that YOU want. That's why it's so difficult to crown any single turntable as a king. It's a system. The cart is IMO the most important part of that system and the...
  25. MannyE

What cart are y'all using on your Technics SL-1210G and what's with the K letter?

Do you think it's a good all around cart or do you listen to anything in particular? I was thinking a Goldring 1042 MM cart because I love the way my 1012 sounds on the MMF-5
Back
Top Bottom