Search results

1. MannyE

Can Someone Please Explain the Technics 2024 Lineup?

I am most confused by the extra letter I keep seeing. I am about ready to buy a new SL-1200G (the one that's $4,000ish dollars). But I keep getting sidetracked by things like "K" in the model number. I may seem like a "rich dude" because I talking about dumping $4K on a turntable, but to be...
  2. MannyE

Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0 Variable Speed Adjuster?

Discontinued., Anyone know where a guy can find one? Or if there is an updated product that will work with the 115v motor?
  3. MannyE

The Horn Shoppe - Ed

Anyone know what is the deal with Ed? Is he OK? I went to the website and there seems to be nothing happening. Facebook seems to also be abandoned. I really liked Ed and hope he's OK.
  4. MannyE

Oh my.. 20 years,,,

I just realized I've been here for over 20 years. Wow.
  5. MannyE

What cart are y'all using on your Technics SL-1210G and what's with the K letter?

That's the question. Also, I now notice that on the Techincs website they are using an additional letter after the G... K is one now. Is that like a way to designate the model year or something?
  6. MannyE

SL 1200G vs GT-2000

So.... OK. I was ready to pull the trigger on one of these 3 years ago. In fact, I was going to GO TO JAPAN just to get the one I wanted. Because the GT-2000 was the shit. It was Grand and Tremendous and it had a community of rabid enthusiasts. Not just in Japan, but all over the world...
  7. MannyE

Well Fiddlesticks! CR-2020 Distorting.

I set up my audio system today with a MMF-5 turntable, my CR-2020 and my good old Definitive Technologies BP 2002 speakers and quickly thought, oh no! my left speaker midrange has blown! So I started troubleshooting: Removed all jumpers to isolate the midrange from the high and sub and...
  8. MannyE

Visaton vs Dayton Exciters. Any Difference?

I wanted to play around with constructing some DML speakers and after seeing a bunch of youtube videos including the excellent ones from Tech Ingredients, I'm convinced to give them a shot. That plus I bought a pair of Gekko speakers about 30 years ago and I thought they were neat. My hope...
  9. MannyE

WIW? Yamaha CR-2020

I'm thinking of selling my fully restored (electronically) CR-2020. I don't really know if it's worth the hassle though. The unit is in beautiful shape and everything works. I just don't see the space for the vintage analog setup I wanted a few years ago happening. I already got rid of the...
  10. MannyE

New Stylus or New Cart?

I’ve had my Music Hall MMF-5 for almost 23 years. I can safely say it’s the best value audio component I have ever bought. it came with a 115v motor and the matte finish of the early builds. And the wonderful Goldring 1012GX cartridge. It cost $499. Not the cart. The whole thing! All I’ve...
  11. MannyE

So my Onkyo Exploded....

As the title says. In spectacular fashion. Fire and smoke and loud pops. It seems there was a loose speaker wire and somehow (I'm pleading the fifth here) some moron (likely a ghost.... that's my story and I'm sticking to it) allowed it to touch ends... well, you know the rest...
  12. MannyE

NOS PL-90 Would you buy it?

I have one local.. what should I look out for? It's supposedly new in the box. But I'm skeptical. All the same, if it's true, what should pay and what will it need? I debated about posting this in Dollars and Cents (or whatever) but I think this forum would know more. They are asking...
  13. MannyE

So it's been a few years now.... Technics turntables...

Do we still like them? Are they still giant killers? Have we settled on a cart that is a safe bet for most types of music in the MM category?
  14. MannyE

Yamaha NS-690ii WIW?

I have a pretty nice pair of Yamaha NS-690ii speakers I bought from a local AKer a few years ago. He had them nicely restored and they sound very nice with my Yamaha CR-2020 receiver. I got them and the CR-2020 to build a vintage system but that was a long time ago and I just want a new...
  15. MannyE

Question about distortion...

I have an interesting situation happening with my equipment. Like many other AKers, most of my stuff is "vintage". It's in quotes because I bought about 50% of my equipment new. Yes. I am old. So here is what's happening. In my listening room I have the HT setup and the analog stereo...
  16. MannyE

Can a cart be the culprit when you can't find the hum?

My favorite turntable is an MMF-5 with a Goldring cart. I have tried everything. A different room, 5 different setups. A receiver with a phono section, a preamp/phono stage, different rooms and different outlets for all components. And I can't get away from the hum. This next week, I'm...
  17. MannyE

Interesting cooling solution for stacking components.

I am designing the new layout of my HT system and searching for different rack cooling solutions when I came across these products that might be a way to safely stack a pre/pro on top of an amp. If the rear-exhaust version of the cooler works as advertised, it will help get more components into...
  18. MannyE

If you collect vinyl... this is the ultimate record to have!

https://ozmarecords.com/products/voyager-golden-record-3xlp-box-set I wish I had known about the first time they did this last year. I would totally have gotten one. I already have mine on preorder for March. They sold well enough that a second run is in the works. IMO its a copy of...
  19. MannyE

Anyone Else Using a Mile High Still?

I just got one (the 8 gallon Econ with 2 inch traditional pot still head) to try my hand at making rum. We have so many coconuts, starfruit, papaya etc growing in the backyard that rots every year that I thought it would be fun to make rum out of it. For the last 20 years, I've used a glass...
  20. MannyE

Sony APM 66ES Speakers....

There is a pair of these on CL here but the guy is asking a lot. Considering the tweeters aren't working and seem to be made out of unobtanium I wonder if it's a project worth taking on. The owner says the surrounds are in great shape but I also know that since these were kind of an...
  21. MannyE

Best Explanation Of Speaker Loads I've Ever Seen

If this doesn't help a person understand how the electrical relationship between speakers and amplifiers works, nothing will. http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm
  22. MannyE

$220 Ultrasonic LP Cleaner... Group Buy anyone?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/CE-GS-RoHs-Codyson-ultrasonic-vinyl_60657551731.html I don't know, but this seems like a good deal if it really works.... Maybe I can finagle the purchase of a sample...
  23. MannyE

Mid/Far Field Powered Studio Monitors That can go INSIDE the wall?

I am still looking for a decent (far-field I guess?) powered monitor that I can place in or mostly in a wall to upgrade my HT. I found the ultimate one, the massive Genelec but that's in the fantasy realm. The room is not small at 30 x 17 so small monitors won't do. Anyone have suggestions?
  24. MannyE

Elderberry Pith... Anyone tried it?

It's used in watchmaking to clean the ridiculously tiny and fragile pivot points in automatic watches as well as other teeny tiny parts. I thought it would be a good idea to try using for cleaning exceptionally filthy styli. Has anyone tried this? I'm about to pull the trigger on a package...
  25. MannyE

What crazy "pseudo-science" tweak did you feel actually works?

For me it was the ridiculously priced silver-bearing conductive grease. I poo-pooed it on AA and a dealer challenged me to try it and report back. I ended up eating a big plate full of crow when the paste proved to be an amazing tweak that I use to this day on any electrical connection in my...
Back
Top Bottom