Search results

1. M Jarve

When should i 'be careful' driving 4 Ohm speakers?

If there is ice on the road, you've been drinking, or the brakes are bad.
  2. M Jarve

Inside and Out: Audionics of Oregon CC-2

It's been years since I've done one of my classic Inside and Out pictorial/commentaries. A quick search shows the last one was all the way back in 2011. So, I suppose it's about time for one, since I have a unit I think is interesting to share. The unlikely and (perhaps) controversial history...
  3. M Jarve

M Jarve- a re-introduction.

I hope you read my response in M.O. forum; if not Gutten Tag, mien herr! Wie macscht du? Wouldn't trade them for the world- Unless a couple Citiation XX's came across my doorstep...:idea: They have not, however, gotten the proper attention they deserve for a long time. I hope to get them...
  4. M Jarve

Mike's Favorites - a new series: Country.

Some here may remember my formerly popular "Inside and Out" series of posts, where in I would post pictures, inside and out, as you might might imagine, of pieces of gear, sometimes obscure or not, along with precepts for the wise. At the time, I had a multitude of a multitude of equipment to...
  5. M Jarve

M Jarve- a re-introduction.

It's been a while since I've posted regularly on AK, but I'm hoping that changes. As such, I don't want my reappearance to come as a shock to newer contributing members, though neither do I want long-time members baffled to my reappearance. Plus, I've become much more verbose (if not eloquent)...
  6. M Jarve

An audiophile has died: David Ogden Stiers

About 12 years ago I speculated on what systems various TV personalities might posses. This was the one result http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/television-characters-and-their-setups.62298/#post-605691. Charles Emerson Winchester was the character I choose. I did not know...
  7. M Jarve

What Goodies Are Hiding in Your Closet, Begging to Be Used?

I used to hoard gear. At one time, I had two bedrooms and two basements and one garage literally crammed with stuff that I never or rarely used- thousands of units, I'm sure weighing an actual couple tons or more. Then I had "the great purge" where I gave away most of gear to anyone who would...
  8. M Jarve

Wharfedale Emerald 97 mk IV (w/pics)

They are even still quite good for the size/money. More so if you are not into DIY. Wharfedale has garrnered praise for it’s solidly designed speakers in recent years, even if they are no longer British made. As always, let your ears be the judge.
  9. M Jarve

How expensive was your first car?

My first car was my Volvo 940 Turbo. 536000-some miles on the clock when I passed it on. Most reliable and undemanding car I have ever known. I regret ever having sold it to my bosse's son. I now own a V70 XC with 240000 miles and no rust ( despite living in Minnesota) and love it nearly as...
  10. M Jarve

The best I can do for now: M Jarve's system

Thanks indeed. It's been too long, but the truth of the matter is that over the past 2-3 years or so I can count on my fingers the number of times I've even powered up my system. I would be surprised if I've put more than twenty hours on it in the last 24 months. To put my current setup into...
  11. M Jarve

The answer to everything, including "what the heck were you thinking!?"
  12. M Jarve

How times have changed... Here is a pic of my system shortly before I joined AK back in '04. Then here is one taken a couple nights ago. Our little Mikey is all grown up!
  13. M Jarve

The Yaqin MC-10L - Revisited

Good Grief! Time was that one could muse about something in these forums without being accused of being a shill. Are you going to take that I thoroughly enjoyed IMF TLS-50 as "advertising copy"? Must be true for my hk775's, Sansui 5000X, Musical Fidelity Pre, and Citation 16 as well. Perhaps...
  14. M Jarve

I have not seen an official sensitivity rating on them, but the brochure recommends an amp of about 35-watts or higher. As close as I can tell they're in the mid 80's at one meter, at about 1.5-volts RMS (appox. 1-watt into 4 ohms) at 1kHz per using an iPod as a signal source, a RadioShack...
  15. M Jarve

Are you being ironic and sarcastic, or just thread-crapping and trying to get it locked?:dunno:
  16. M Jarve

It's been over 8 years since I bought the Yaqin MC-10L (you can read my original thoughts on the amp here) integrated amp, and almost 6 years since it's been in regular use. Indeed, it hadn't even been powered up since the completion of the Sub-Compact DIY speaker project finished in December...
  17. M Jarve

Swinging back to solid state- Initial observations of the Musical Fidelity A3cr

Well, between the time I got the IMF's and the A3cr preamp, I acquired the Infinity Quantum QLS-3. The IMF's that I had at the time did not perform at their best with the power amp I owned at the time (an Adcom GFA-5800), and I ended up giving the IMF's away to a friend, so the pairing never...
  18. M Jarve

Really liking Air.

As of late, I have not been buying much in the way of new music, but I stumbled across the somewhat obscure French group, Air. When a mathematician and architect get together to make music, you can expect something off the wall. What I had not quite expected was 90's electronica that seemed to...
  19. M Jarve

Hey, Ron: You're PM's are full and I'm trying to get back to you about something. Give me a...

Hey, Ron: You're PM's are full and I'm trying to get back to you about something. Give me a ring, or PM- me your email! /Mike
  20. M Jarve

The Prophecy: Another Falk-Jarve speaker project.

Thanks indeed for the offer, Jim. The tweeters are going to be the original Peerless made Infinity EMIT's circa the Quantum series. I have extras laying around, gathering dust (literally), but, as of now, the other drivers are still going to be Dayton Reference series 10's, 5's, and 2-inch...
  21. M Jarve

Beats Studio, by Dr. Dre (long)

Thanks indeed. I'll have to give those AKG's a try if I come across them. It's very difficult to find anything like those around here, unless they're by chance in a pawnshop or some such. I will have to admit that, when I started my search for headphones my only real criteria was that...
  22. M Jarve

RIP, Dr. Amar Bose

The second Bose scientist to achieve great fame, and perhaps even more famous than his distant forbearer. A controversial figure in audio to be sure. One of the first to to throw out the measurements and let his ears be the judge. He may have epitomized subjective audio in attempting to...
  23. M Jarve

(part 2) The Beats are, generally, sold more on their Boom and less on their Sizzle, and they do possess seemingly extended bass response, though noticeably less well defined than that of my Philips Snug, which, while not as overtly extended and powerful, is tighter and snappier overall...
  24. M Jarve

Lately I've become something of an obligate headphone listener. My main setup is in disarray as my listening area has become storage and workshop area as well. I literally cannot see my chair. It's just as well, as I find that when I do have a hankering to just sit and listen, I might have...
  25. M Jarve

doucanoe's system n' flux

Pretty good job there! i think the cabinets they were in were a out 1/2 the optimal size (and to me they were big cabinets). Those Peavey cabs must be pretty big to make those 15's look small. It's hard to tell the scale of something from pictures sometimes, but the guitar puts it into...
Back
Top Bottom