Search results

1. braincramp

Never in a million years did I think I'd do this

And that is..... listen to classical music! I'm 65 damn years old and I've listened to Rock and Blues all my life. I see a lot of people here listen to classical but that still never peaked my interest until one early morning I turned Spotify on and started browsing. I was just drinking my...
  2. braincramp

Kudos to Techguy, Chicago Tom, and others

I just have to give a shout out to Techguy who sold me his mint Adcom GFA 535 II power amp and to Chicago Tom for letting me pry his minty NAD 1155 pre-amp out of his hands.:) I got them hooked up together tonight and I am just plain psyched. My Bose 901's and Thorens TD165 have come alive! The...
  3. braincramp

On-Off Switch for my 1020

My 1020 has a sort of toggle switch in the power cord that someone put in. It works fine but I'd like the original switch to work and eliminate the toggle. I opened up the original switch and the brass pieces inside were half burnt off. Does anyone know if I can buy the whole on-off switch or...
  4. braincramp

Small speakers that sound big?

Are there really small bookshelf speakers that can compare to larger speakers like JBL L100's and Bose 901's when playing vinyl ? What are some good ones for lets say the $500 price range?
  5. braincramp

Should I be useing a DAC ?

I just started streaming Spotify from my computer. Would I really notice a big improvement if I hooked up a good DAC?
  6. braincramp

Question about the Bose 901 Series II EQ light

Does anyone know if the light on the EQ should stay solid or pulse ?
  7. braincramp

Dual 1246 TT with ortofon vms 20e MkII cartridge

Anyone know much about these? There's a very nice one locally for sale for $160.
  8. braincramp

Good Pre-Amp match for a Adcom 535MKII power amp

I'm going to be purchasing a Adcom 535MKII power amp next week from a fellow AKer. To me it would make sense to pair it with a Adcom pre-amp but its been suggested by some here that might not be the case. Can anyone give me some suggestions on a good match for the 535 ? Must have a phono input...
  9. braincramp

Does Adcom make good Amps ?

I've been reading some stuff about the Adcom GFA-555ms power amps and the reviews have been pretty glowing. Does anybody here have any experience with the Adcom stuff? I've decided to go new instead of vintage with a power amp and a pre-amp. Or if you have a recommendation on something else in...
  10. braincramp

Spotify Distortion

I just started listening to Spotify premium and at times the sound quality just plain sucks. Very distorted and just all around nasty. Is this common with Spotify or do I have other issues?
  11. braincramp

Did Yamaha make good speakers ?

I always read about all the classic speakers from Klipsch, JBL, and so on. Did Yamaha ever make any speakers that have really stood out?
  12. braincramp

Question about burning CD's from my Android

Hope this isn't too stupid of a question. My Teac CD recorder has a digital optical input on the back. Can I just get a digital optical - 3.5 cord and burn CD's from my phone?
  13. braincramp

Hooking another amp with my CR-1020

I'd like to hook another receiver ( Sony STR-DE197 ) up to my CR-1020 and see if I noticed any difference with the added power. All my components are connected to the 1020. There isn't a pre-out on the Sony. How do I do this? Doe's the switch on the main/pre-out need to be off or left on? Any...
  14. braincramp

New to the digital world

I'm an old fart who has just been turned on to the world of Flac recordings. I still play and love my vinyl and CD's but I want to start building up my library of digital music. If I wanted to be able to rip my existing vinyl plus purchase new music to download could I do it by just adding a...
  15. braincramp

Listened to a system that completely blew me away today

Let me start out by saying that although I'm a huge music lover I've never posted a whole lot here. I'm a 65 year old guy that played in Rock bands for 45 years until it just got too much for me. When I quit gigging I still needed my music fix. I'm a huge fan of vinyl and have always thought...
  16. braincramp

Good Cartridge for Thorens TD 165

I listen to a lot of Classic Rock, Blues, and some Jazz. Some CD's but mostly vinyl. Could I get some cartridge suggestions that would be a upgrade over my Sumiko Pearl I currently have? I don't want to go crazy but maybe the $200-$300 range. Thanks!
  17. braincramp

$1500 to spend a Amp/Reciever, What would you get for Classic Rock ?

I'm thinking about upgrading or adding to my system. I currently have a Yamaha CR-1020, Thorens TD165, Bose 901 Series II, and Dynaco A25's. I'd like to hear some opinions on a good amp upgrade. Most of the stuff I listen to is on vinyl and most is Classic Rock, Blues, and a little Jazz. Thanks...
  18. braincramp

JBL L100 Serial number experts

Wondering if someone could help me or point me in the right direction. I have a pair of JBL L100 speakers and they look identical condition wise but the serial numbers are quite different. One is 52492A and the other is 172256A. I have a guy interested in them but he's questioning why the...
  19. braincramp

Pioneer SX-1250

Where does the Pioneer SX-1250 stand with comparison to others for listening mostly to Classic Rock, Blues and a little jazz. Is it the best vintage receiver Pioneer ever made ? I've got a chance to buy one and it would be matched up with my JBL L100's but I know very little about them and the...
  20. braincramp

Surrounds and caps for my JBL L110's

Where is a good place to purchase the above items ? Not a big fan of Ebay. Thanks !
  21. braincramp

ADS 710 vs Klipsch CF2

If you want to kick back and rock a little, how close are the above speakers to sound ? Or, are they not even close ?
  22. braincramp

I just want to ROCK !

Let me start off by saying I am far from a "critical" listener. I love quality sound but overall I'm not that fussy. My current system (listed in signature) is a nice little setup but 95% of the time I listen to classic rock. I don't care for subs but I love bass. ( if that even makes sense)...
  23. braincramp

Are Mint AR-3ax speakers worth $1000 ?

Still searching for some nice vintage speakers with some bottom end to them. I know the AR-3ax speakers are always spoken highly of but are they worth a grand ?
  24. braincramp

Good match for my Yamaha CR1020

Hi everybody, I don't post much but I love to come here and lurk.Was wondering if I could get some opinions from some of you guys that are much more knowledgeable than I'll ever be. Currently I'm building my vinyl collection back up.Mostly classic rock,blues,and some jazz. My system consists of...
  25. braincramp

Recapping my Dynaco's

This is a question for you guys that have experience.If I wanted to recap my Dynaco A25's, what do I need for parts and besides the soldering skills, do I need to do anything else special?
Back
Top Bottom