Search results

1. P

Acceptable ratio for audio spending / household income or savings

Despite my "diligence", I missed your reply. Thank you and my apology. Your reply was certainly meaningful, and definitely serves to demonstrate that giving me a percentage will NOT reveal anyone's income/spending figures in any manner (which I am not interested in anyways and did not ask...
  2. P

I don't like to repeat myself, though I have for sure failed this many times already.
  3. P

I consider myself a tool in my actual profession, hence I need some good music when I am not working as a tool.
  4. P

I can accept that. I myself consider AK to be a public forum, so personal identity is not important to me (and so i have zero interest in discussing personal identity). I have zero interest in knowing who you are -- I frankly do not care (don't take it the wrong way). But you appear to suggest...
  5. P

I sincerely want to thank you for your reply. I do want to make it clear though that it was never my intention, nor did I actually ask, how much your paid for your gear (I am just interested in the percentages). I understand that you likely provided the absolute amount to better illustrate your...
  6. P

When did I ask the absolutely amount of your income or how much you spend on audio? Do you understand the difference between absolute values and relative ratios/percentages? Do you know that giving me a ratio would not expose "what I spend on this or that"? Do you consider a public forum such as...
  7. P

I could say the same about your comment about just using common sense, as if there is any universal common sense in audio spending (or anything else), unless of course you think your common sense if better than another's.
  8. P

I got one, when a member suggested using earnings from retirement fund to fund audio, without diminishing the principal of the retirement fund. This to me is good thinking. Many others somehow thought that I was interested in the absolute amounts of their income/saving/audio spending.
  9. P

Common sense, actually, can be expressed mathematically. And one person's common sense may be different from another's. For example, in the world of mergers and acquisitions, one company's threshold on how much to spend on acquiring an ideal target, can be dramatically different from anthers'...
  10. P

No need to understand it for me -- leave the understanding part to me. Please just try explain it to me.
  11. P

Then I may have to apologize if my question of percentage/ratio offends others' sensitivity/privacy. But I still do not get why mentioning "how much money they make", because it is completely irrelevant.
  12. P

I would say that ratio REFLECTS one's priorities. If I have a broken leg, I may spend 110% of current year income on fixing it.
  13. P

Of course you can average it out. Or you can use the savings level/cash reserve as a more stable benchmark. No one has to be boxed in in my question -- my inquiry is open ended, and it would be unwise to write out all the assumptions, caveats, variations, etc., Another member suggested using...
  14. P

Yes and no. While most may not be doing any actual calculation in terms of ratio/percentages when buying audio, I do strongly believe that one always has a feel of what one can afford, and affordability is often expressed in terms of ratio/percentage (based on income, cash flow, balance sheet...
  15. P

You see. I did not ask how much you spend -- I really don't care. I care about the percentage, which is anonymous. For example, if I tell you I spend 2.5% of my income on audio, would you know how much I make? I really hope people read what is being asked before replying with rather offensive...
  16. P

Yes, but how do you calculate/estimate how much you can afford with respect to audio? Assuming you have exactly $50k saved in the bank, would you spend $30k on a pair speakers that you deem to be, objectively, worthy of $30k? Of course, everyone's reaction would be different, but I am interested...
  17. P

But compromises themselves are in essence ratios/percentages, if expressed in mathematical way -- we may not perform the actual calculation, but regression models for hedonistic spending have been there for decades.
  18. P

So in end, what your spending on audio compared to your other spending/disposable income?
  19. P

I say this seriously, it's hard to find good used gear in Costa Rica. I was in SoCal once, and I saw the rarest audio gems popping up on craigslist constantly, thanks to the retirement community there. I think Florida and New England are the same.
  20. P

So, what percentage of earnings from passive investment would you reward yourself with to buy audio?
  21. P

It's all about compromises. When is enough enough? When does one cash out on a good ride to buy some audio?
  22. P

So you are kind of allocating a hard dollar amount on your audio gear (for now). I don't want to reverse engineer your income, so I will not ask your ratio, but your hard cap would be a percentage of your income/savings. And I assume that if you have had billions saved, you would not care as...
  23. P

Which is the reason I revised my question to disposable income, and I only care about the relative percentage, not absolute dollar amount.
  24. P

This makes sense and is valuable info. I once almost bought a system that would be 50% of annual income. I didn't bite the bullet, but I was very close. Afterwards, I told myself that unless you can buy perfection, everything else is a just a shade of imperfection, not worthy of breaking the...
Back
Top Bottom