Search results

1. P

Acceptable ratio for audio spending / household income or savings

What's the reasonable audio spending/household income, or audio spending/household savings ratio that is deemed reasonable or acceptable here in the AK community? I will start. On the income side, I think 2.5% is good. That is, if the household makes $200k/year, it's fine to have a $5k system...
  2. P

Best Mini Monitors (Cost is no Object)

What are the best mini monitors in the used market? I do not intend this to be a discussion of what is the best, but I am interested in what YOU think is the best [edited, to avoid philosophical debates]. I have a pair of Snell SUB 1800 (18" subs that are fast and deep) and a stereo amp with...
  3. P

JBL 208H woofers (8", as used in P50, G500, XE series)

Does anyone have full specs on these woofers? They are 8" and measure 7.1-7.2 ohms. I inherited four of them, and wanted to make some use out of them. They were widely used during the early 90's, as far as I know. Thanks!
  4. P

Snell Sub 1800 (18" sub)

https://www.stereophile.com/content/snell-music-cinema-home-thx-reference-system Specs are supposed to be: SUB 1800: reflex-loaded (fourth-order) subwoofer with 18" cast-frame driver. Frequency response: 17Hz–80Hz ±2dB anechoic. Impedance: 8 ohms nominal, 7.5 ohms minimum. Sensitivity...
  5. P

Using round, ceramic sink as horn for compression drivers?

Has anyone tried this? Ceramic should be acoustically inert, and there are round sinks of larger size (for midrange horns). But I am not sure about the shape.
  6. P

USB DAC with high gain

Since I am using a passive volume control, I am hoping to get a USB DAC with high gain (~4v output) in the under $250 range. Any recommendations?
  7. P

Visonik Sub 1 info

I know that it's 12" and was designed to be used with the Davids. However, i am wonder if it's a musical (classical mostly) and fast subwoofer for planar speakers. Also, whether it goes to as low as 20-25hz. I will have a dedicated subwoofer amp so I will bypass the internal crossover (which I...
  8. P

NAD 2150 and 2155 having the same gain?

I have a 2155 and a friend is selling a 2150. I am thinking buying the 2150 for bi-ampping (one does HF and one does the LF), but I don't know if the two amps have the exact same gain. From 2155's SM, I know its gain is 26.8db. But 2150's SM didn't list the gain, and I am not sure how to...
  9. P

High current Class D amp recommendation

High current Class D or T amp recommendation Hi, I have a pair of Eminent Technology LFT-VI speakers (6 ohm) that really require high current -- one reviewer says the speakers require (and can apparently handle) 1000w per channel. I was very impressed with 41hz's amps about 10 years ago. But...
  10. P

470uf electrolytic cap for crossover

So I just got a pair of Eminent Tech's LFT-VI speakers. Opened the crossover box and found 3 small-valued film cap + one 470uf 50v electrolytic cap. I certainly don't have the fund to make the 470uf film, so I was looking at Nichicon Muse ES. But that series, as far as I know, only goes to...
  11. P

What Magnavox consoles besides the Magnificent have this 15" woofer?

I have a Magnificent Console that has only one 15" woofer. The model number is 583976, and it is made by Magnavox itself (code number 232). I am trying to find another one for an open baffle project. Does anyone know what other consoles use the same woofer? Or where else could I get one? Thanks!
  12. P

KLH Model 17 vs. New Large Advent (or /1) vs. Altec 893a

How do they compare? I have Altec 893a and Advent /1. Would I want to buy a pair of Model 17s? It's $40 + 1.5 hours of drive. Thanks a lot!
  13. P

Please ID this Mcintosh tube amp

Only the back.
  14. P

Vintage Ampex 515 speakers?

Anyone with any info on these speakers? I may be able to get a pair if I am willing to drive 100 miles. This is only info I could find: http://soundtrail.blogzine.jp/blog/2010/04/ampex_515_2636.html (in Japanese).
  15. P

Need help ID this Altec speaker

Owner has been non-responsive.
  16. P

Schematic for Altec 893a crossover

Does anyone have the schematic for the crossover in Altec 893a?
  17. P

Is this a drop-in tweeter replacement for Altec 893a?

Goldwood GT-25 3.5" Paper Cone Tweeter https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=45_229_324&products_id=8595
  18. P

Altec 893A Corona Tweeter repair or replacement

I just saw that the paper tweeters got tears through them. They still sound fine, as far as I can tell. What should I do? Any glue that would do the job? Or should I be looking for modern replacements (that may help extend the high frequency range)? Thanks!
  19. P

Crossover in Advent /1

Does anyone have the schematic for the crossover in an Advent /1 (the older version with the velcro, if it matters)? Or does anyone know the resistor and capacitor values and quantities? Thanks in advance.
  20. P

Nelson Pass F5, changing the gain

The gain is just slight too low for me (I use a passive ladder-type pot). Is there an easy way (such as changing a few resistors) to increase the gain to about 10X? Thanks!
  21. P

How do HK 430 compare with Gainclone

A gainclone based on LM3875 would cost slightly more than a good working HK 430. Sound-wise, are they in the same league?
  22. P

LM350 or LM338 for LM3886

I want to build a regulated power supply for my LM3886 amp. My transformer is rated 2x23v at 400VA. My LM3886 amp is the simply chip-amps' version (2xLM3886). I would like to use either LM350 or LM338 to clean up the power supply. While LM338 can output 5A, LM350 has better (86db vs 338's 75db)...
  23. P

Vintage Nikko Alpha or HK Citation compare to new gainclone

How do the vintage Nikko Alpha and HK Citation power amps compare to the new LM3886 base gainclones?
  24. P

Hawthorne Silver Iris on OB: How good are they?

On Hawthorne's forum, the size of the OB is generally around 22"x 35". If they were sold commercially, how would you price them? Are they comparable to, let's say, Vandersteen Model 2s or Dahlquist DQ-10? (Building an SI OB costs the same as getting an old Model 2 or DQ-10). Many thanks!
Back
Top Bottom