Search results

1. cmonty

Elac UB51-bk vs B&W DM1200

Seeing a lot of hype about the Elacs. Would this model be an upgrade over the B&W's?". I am looking for more air and resolution from the top end.
  2. cmonty

Help Choosing Back-up Cart

I have been using a Pickering XSV3000 for years, but am down to my last D3000 stylus and want to make it last. So, I'm thinking an alternate cart for daily listening to less than great condition lps would help. I have 3 others that are all in need of a new stylus. I would like to keep...
  3. cmonty

Help ID Guitar Speaker

Noticed this 12'" alnico speaker looking out of place in a 90's combo amp. The amp's rear panel obscured what little writing there is on the back of the speaker, so no help there. Sorry, no pics. The best I can do to describe it is that it looks like a Weber Silverbell, except it has binding...
  4. cmonty

Fried Beta- Signature Series

These are the small two-ways that AFAIK are made to be mated with a small sub. I am seeking suggestions for replacement tweeters as one is confirmed dead. The tweets are not the silk domes I expected when I pulled back the grills, so I am not sure if they are originals. They are paper...
  5. cmonty

Adcom gtp-400

Opinions please. I am considering pairing the above with either NAD 3140 or Sansui au-717 integrateds. Would the Adcom be a significant upgrade to the preamps in either of these units?
  6. cmonty

Aristocrat vs Seville

I have a pair of EV Aristocrats that I have been hoping to, one day, pair with a suitable tube amp. The cabs match, but the drivers do not. IIRC, one has a coaxial driver and the other is a 2-way w/xover. Sorry, I cannot provide driver numbers without going on a major mining expedition to...
  7. cmonty

Mirage Center Upgrade?

I currently use an Omnisat V2 CC for the center channel on a 5.1 system. I have a shot at a OM-C3 at a good price. Would this be a significant upgrade? I have Omni 60's in front and Omnisat V2's in the rear w/ S-12 sub.
  8. cmonty

Project One Model 3

Anybody have any experience with Project One speakers? I used to buy gear at Playback and am aware of these being the house brand and the possible connection with Pioneer for some of their stuff. These are 3-ways, about the size of an AR3a, heavy, appear to be well built and do not...
  9. cmonty

Matching Smaller Advent

I'm thinking of trying Smaller Advents as the front speakers in a 5.1 set-up. Any suggestions on a good matching speaker for the center? I'm hoping to buy used for $150 or less. Thanks.
  10. cmonty

Tannoy Reveal 6

Saw a pair of these studio monitors in a pawn shop for $150. Anybody have experience with these or care to comment on how practical they might be for home use?
  11. cmonty

Apature Koce

Does anyone know of this cartridge? I didn't even realize that Apature once made cartridges. All I have to go on is that it was purchased in the mid eighties for around $125.
  12. cmonty

Dual TT / B&O Cart

I'm hoping for some advice on a Dual CS1254. I've never had a Dual, it doesn't look like one of their best. Is it a keeper? It has a B&O SP 14 cartridge on it. The stylus is trashed. I've never heard this cart. Is it worth a $120 rebuild? I'm guessing there are better choices for this TT...
  13. cmonty

DEfoaming

Has anybody tried to remove a new foam surround? I picked up a pair of small Advents - only one of them refoamed. It sounds OK, but looks kinda crappy with the surround glued to the face of the cone and the masonite. Is there a way to remove the surround without damaging the cone, or do I...
  14. cmonty

Odd Turntable

The lazy man's way to crappy sound? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3283&item=5772923686&rd=1
  15. cmonty

Teledyne AR- 28B

Has anybody owned or listened to a pair? Worth the cost of a refoam?
  16. cmonty

Pioneer S-X4G

I have a pair of (gulp) RCA speakers that look very similar to these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50597&item=5767790782&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW Does anybody know about a possible connection between the two?
  17. cmonty

D3000 stylus

Any opinions on how likely it is that this is genuine Pickering? I thought that these went out of production years ago. http://www.stereoneedles.com/Merchant/Pickering.html
Back
Top Bottom