Search results

1. S

Speaker repair in New England

Hi everyone, It has been a long time since I have posted on here! I am wondering if there is anyone on the board from New England that does speaker repair, or can recommend a good shop to do so. I used to be a DIYer, and still am at heart, but I just have zero time to dedicate to it now and...
  2. S

Winter New England FrankenFest Saturday March 10, 2018 Sutton MA

Hope to make it to the next fest. I hadn't logged on to the site since probably September: a new job plus a new baby and a zany 2 year old means a lot of things have fallen by the wayside. But something behooved me to check in a few days ago, and I was so sad to hear about Don's passing. RIP...
  3. S

Audiodon has left us...

It was a beautiful and moving service today. You can tell how much Don was loved by so many people. @LexDM3 gave a wonderful and touching speech about Don. @steph_gaynor played some great tunes in Don's honor. Don was such a smart and kind soul. Good luck on your next journey, Don. Sorry...
  4. S

RIP Frank Carpenter AKA fcarpcarp ;-(

This is really sad news. Now I am really kicking myself for not getting to the last FrankenFest so that I could see Frank one last time. As a semi-regular, fellow FrankenFest attendee, I have had the great pleasure of knowing Frank, talking to him about many things audio, and attesting to his...
  5. S

Happy 60th Birthday to audiodon!

Hi Don, I meant to have Stephanie include a more extended message in the card that the local group signed for you at the FrankenFest this past weekend, but I didn't get back to her in time (she and Dan had already delivered it to you). (I wasn't able to make the Fest.) Happy 60th birthday...
  6. S

Summer 2017 New England FrankenFest - June 24th in Clinton MA

Hi all, I am sad to say that I won't be able to make it today either. Just was not able to work it out with the kiddos (newborn and a just-turned-two-year-old) and work. Thanks so much to Frank for being such a kind and gracious host over the years. It's always been such a great time meeting...
  7. S

That solves it: I'll use the tubes! :biggrin: Thanks much. I will bring the bottle warmer!
  8. S

Hi all, Hoping to make this fest, particularly since it is Frank's last one hosting and all, and he's been such a wonderful and generous host. I have a quick question. I'm trying to picture the layout of the kitchen area, but I can't seem to remember: is there a functioning stove there or...
  9. S

An update on our friend audiodon

Hi Don, It is with a heavy heart that I read this thread started by Dan/LexDM3. I am not on AK much anymore, but I logged on to try and find out how things are going with you since you were unable to attend the last New England AK fest. And I came across this thread in the process. Since the...
  10. S

Anyone ever use Snell EII's or Boston A150's as mains/fronts in a home theater setup?

Thanks for the replies everyone. Much appreciated. I agree that the Snells are leaner than the Bostons, so not surprised to hear that folks still use a sub with them. I don't think the Bostons will have that problem. I'd prefer to not use a sub due to space considerations, but I won't rule...
  11. S

Anyone ever use Snell EII's or Boston A150's as mains/fronts in a home theater setup?

Hi all, I currently have a pair of Snell EII's and a pair of Boston A150's that aren't getting any use, and my plan was to sell both of them. But I'm wondering if either would do well as mains/fronts in a home theater setup. Has anyone ever used either pair for this application, and if so...
  12. S

Snell E/II -- which terminals are for tweeters and which are for woofers?

Hi all, Thanks for the replies. I hooked them up for the first time today. Lows are on the right and highs on the left. So opposite the e/iii about which Jeff reported.
  13. S

Snell E/II -- which terminals are for tweeters and which are for woofers?

Hello all, I recently picked up a pair of Snell E/II. Does anyone know which terminals on the rear are for the tweeters and which ones are for the woofers? They aren't marked as such and I cannot seem to find a manual or any other information online about this subject. Thanks in advance for...
  14. S

Who likes/wants to check out Deerhoof?

Cool. Can't wait to hear it! La Isla Bonita never really grabbed me, but I like Breakup Song. Their run from Reveille through Offend Maggie has to be one of the best runs in rock n' roll ever, if you ask me. Six great albums (plus one great EP) in a row.
  15. S

How is the album? Mine's supposed to arrive on Tuesday. I have a tape deck; can't wait to hear that covers tape. I hope the Def Leppard cover is on there!
  16. S

This seemed like the appropriate place to post this slice of awesomeness:
  17. S

Problem with drawer on ADS CD3 CD player

I bought this one after confirming from the vendor that it would work on the a/d/s CD3: http://m.ebay.de/itm/351430739648?_mwBanner=1. The a/d/s player was a rebadged Braun player for the American market (or vice versa, I can't remember).
  18. S

AR-90s vs. Aerial 10ts: Anyone ever compare the two?

Thanks, botrytis! From that review, it sounds like the Aerials are great. Since my last post, I checked all the wiring and the measured the resistance of all of the drivers on my ARs. All of the drivers are within spec in terms of their DC resistance. But I did find that one of the woofers...
  19. S

Update: just received the new belt that I ordered for the player. Installed it, and voila: the drawer works as it should! Thanks much for all of the help, onwardjames!
  20. S

Hi folks, Thanks for the replies. I refoamed the ARs myself and have checked the wiring in the past for proper phasing, but it wouldn't hurt to do so again to make sure that they are phased properly. I've also already measured the drivers with a multimeter, and the voice coils test within...
  21. S

Hi folks, I have a pair of AR-90s with which I am currently less than satisfied. Poor bass performance, muted highs, and strident mids. But I was planning on recapping them, and I've been told that doing so makes a noticeable difference. One of the best setups that I've ever heard included a...
  22. S

Well, I cleaned the belt with alcohol and a q-tip. That didn't solve the problem. I then soaked it in in WD-40 overnight, and that also didn't solve the problem. So I think I'm going to buy a new belt!
  23. S

Yes, I will clean the belt first and see if that works. I will report back. Thanks!
  24. S

Actually, I just remembered that this same player was re-badged as a Braun CD3 in Europe. Belts for the Braun's are available on ebay. I imagine that will work?
  25. S

Yeah, I searched ebay for a proper belt, and I can't find one there. Anyone know of a source for these belts, or a suitable substitute? I'd like to try and get an actual belt before going the rubber band route.
Back
Top Bottom