Search results

1. S

Speaker repair in New England

Hi everyone, It has been a long time since I have posted on here! I am wondering if there is anyone on the board from New England that does speaker repair, or can recommend a good shop to do so. I used to be a DIYer, and still am at heart, but I just have zero time to dedicate to it now and...
  2. S

Anyone ever use Snell EII's or Boston A150's as mains/fronts in a home theater setup?

Hi all, I currently have a pair of Snell EII's and a pair of Boston A150's that aren't getting any use, and my plan was to sell both of them. But I'm wondering if either would do well as mains/fronts in a home theater setup. Has anyone ever used either pair for this application, and if so...
  3. S

Snell E/II -- which terminals are for tweeters and which are for woofers?

Hello all, I recently picked up a pair of Snell E/II. Does anyone know which terminals on the rear are for the tweeters and which ones are for the woofers? They aren't marked as such and I cannot seem to find a manual or any other information online about this subject. Thanks in advance for...
  4. S

AR-90s vs. Aerial 10ts: Anyone ever compare the two?

Hi folks, I have a pair of AR-90s with which I am currently less than satisfied. Poor bass performance, muted highs, and strident mids. But I was planning on recapping them, and I've been told that doing so makes a noticeable difference. One of the best setups that I've ever heard included a...
  5. S

Cleaning really dirty McIntosh gear

Hi folks, I was recently given a McIntosh 2100 amp and C28 preamp by my uncle. He bought them new in the 70s but hasn't played them in several decades, and they were in his basement collecting a lot of grime over the years. He lost interest in the idea of eventually trying to bring them back...
  6. S

Recapping AR-90's

Hi all, I have a pair of AR-90's that I'd like to recap. With that in mind, I have a quick question about the 350uF capacitors for the woofers. I was planning on getting good quality polypropylene capacitors for all of the other caps, probably Dayton Precisions. But if I got the same caps...
  7. S

Problem with drawer on ADS CD3 CD player

Hi folks, I have an ADS CD3 CD player that I like, but the drawer has not opened when you press the "Slider" button in quite some time. Each time I want to use it, I have to manually open the drawer, which is a bit tough and also a pain in the butt. The unit works OK otherwise (once I put a...
  8. S

Philips GA-312 problems

I have a Philips GA-312 that has begun to give me some problems. I hadn't used it in about 6 months, and it was working fine before I stopped using it. I pulled it out to use it again, and I'm having some problems with the touch-sensitive speed and stop buttons. The first thing that...
  9. S

AR 12c midrange replacement foams

Hi all, I found a pair of AR12c speakers locally, and I'm thinking about getting them. But both the woofers and midranges need refoamed (the speakers have cone mids), and I can't seem to locate a vendor online that sells the 2.25" foams that are needed for the mids. Any idea of a source for...
  10. S

Speaker placement & baseboard heaters (gas)

Speaker placement & baseboard heaters (gas heat) Hello, Life changes and logistics have forced me to move my main system to a new locale, and I am running into an issue with placement. All walls in the room except one have baseboard heaters; they are vents for gas heat, not the super hot...
  11. S

Fuses on Apt Holman preamp

Anyone know where the fuses are on an Apt Holman preamp? I can't seem to locate them inside the unit, or on the schematic for that matter. My unit no longer turns on, and I think I may have blown one of the fuses. Thanks in advance for any insight!
  12. S

USB DAC & CD question

Hello, I have a FiiO X3 that to date I have only used as a portable media player. But it also can be used as a USB DAC. I know that if I have the FiiO X3 connected to my laptop and in DAC mode, and I play a media file (WAV, FLAC, MP3, etc.) that I have on my computer with Windows Media Player...
  13. S

Value of old General Electric portable record player (model RP-1127A)

Hi folks, A family member would like to sell a General Electric RP-1127A tube portable record player that he found in his dad's basement after he was cleaning it out following his father's death. I know nothing about the value of a unit like this, and there is scant information about value...
  14. S

Values of caps & resistors in Paradigm 3se mk3 crossover

Hello, I am thinking about replacing the resistors and capacitors in my Paradigm 3se mk3 crossover. I'm wondering if anyone has done so before and can provide me the value of the smaller capacitor. The way it is glued on to the board in my speakers, I am unable to get a proper visual to...
  15. S

Woofer ID

Can anyone ID this woofer? Pics attached to this message. There's no manufacturer information anywhere on the driver, only the following two numbers: "2465 311" and "2077." It's an 8 ohm driver. I pulled it from an Advent speaker, and it's not an original woofer for that speaker. It...
  16. S

Philips GA-312/212 switch question

Hello all, I have a Philips GA-312 that's in good condition with the exception of a bum switch that moves the arm up and down. Basically, it will not stay depressed in the "down" position. I recently came upon a really beat-up GA-212 in a thrift for $8, but the switch works OK, so I picked...
  17. S

Klipsch Chorus II in Manchester, NH for $400

Hi everyone, Heads up for the New England folks on the board: there are a pair of Klipsch Chorus II's in the Music Connection record store in Manchester, NH for $400. The owner has them listed for $500 right now, but he said he would be interested in dropping the price to $400 in order to move...
  18. S

Anyone in New England (NH or MA) refoam with test tones?

I have a pair of AR-90 speakers that I need to refoam, and it appears as though getting proper replacement dust caps is going to be difficult. Not only am I running into problems with finding outer caps of proper material and size for my specific variant of the woofers and lo-mids (there were a...
  19. S

Stylus for Signet TK5ea

I recently purchased a Signet TK5ea cartridge, sans stylus. From some reading I've done around the interwebs, it seems like a number of folks use the Audio Technica ATN155LC or ATN152LC as replacement styli for this cart. A buddy of mine also suggested the Akai RS180 or RS150 as possible...
  20. S

Lot of good stuff in MA

Some nice stuff in this lot: McIntosh, Hartsfield, Marantz, Tandberg. The CD player and one pair of speakers look like they've seen better days, but the rest of the stuff looks like it's in decent condition. The negative is that he also has no prices listed and is looking for best offer, and...
  21. S

Source for AR-90 foam surrounds

Hi folks, I need to refoam a pair of Acoustic Research AR-90's. All four 10" bass drivers and both lower midrange 8" drivers need new foams. Anyone have a suggestion for a good source? I know someone that got some off of ebay, but not sure of the particular vendor. Any suggestions...
  22. S

Philips 222 value

I've got a possible line on a Philips 222 turntable in good condition with a brand new Shure M97xE cartridge for $100. Good price?
  23. S

Nice lot of stuff in Western MA for the tinkerer

For those of you DIYers who can tinker and fix things, this may be a nice lot of stuff to mess around with. The person is located in Springfield, MA, and is looking for $100 or best offer for the whole lot. No affiliation, of course. http://westernmass.craigslist.org/ele/3913568333.html
  24. S

Packing foam

Hi guys, I want to put a few things up for sale online, so I'm on the hunt for some packing foam. I stopped at Home Depot today and got this large piece of 3/4"-thick pink grooved foam by Owens Corning for about $9...
  25. S

Phono Pre: ART DJPRE II vs. DB Systems DB-8

Has anyone here been able to compare the ART DJPRE II and DB Systems DB-8 directly? I'm looking at sub-$200 phono stages, and from reading various threads on the site, these are the two that stand out the most to me. The ART because of the alleged price-to-performance ratio, and the DB...
Back
Top Bottom