Search results

1. chazix

McIntosh MX114 - walk me through how muting works?

Schematic attached is the MPX board from a McIntosh MX114. The board also handles muting. It's clear to me that the board's audio output will be muted if Q103 is turned on. What I don't get is what keeps Q103 turned off in good reception conditions? It seems like good reception of a stereo...
  2. chazix

Odyssey Stratos monoblocks - bridged outputs, but "-" output not driven?

Several Stratos models came across the bench lately. Two of them are monoblocks, and of those, one seemed to be working just fine. I didn't even open it up at first, just perfunctory output checks. Since I wasn't familiar with these models, I checked both + and - output terminals for output...
  3. chazix

Why does capture effect happen?

...in FM tuners, of course. I don't seem to have a deep enough understanding of FM detectors (and how they play with other subsystems like IF limiters) to know what accounts for the capture effect. That is, how can an FM tuner retrieve the audio from one RF signal, while almost ignoring the...
  4. chazix

what is the attraction in being deliberately offensive online?

This is probably my best chance ever at getting a thread locked. (I hope it doesn't get me banned! If it does, it's been good - mostly - to know y'all.) But I am sincerely interested in the question: What is it that is rewarding about being deliberately offensive online? I've seen analyses...
  5. chazix

2270 motorola output transistors SJ2517 / SJ2518 - datasheets?

I'm struck by the seeming non-existence of any hard data for these on the interwebospheres. Were they specials for Marantz? Does anyone know what ballpark fte they are? Asking because I was trying to figure out if MJ15015/6 would suffice for a 2270. Those onsemi parts don't have the...
  6. chazix

H. H. Scott 220-A monobloc bias

Looking at a couple of these for an AKer. Seems they are pretty rare - what good luck he has to find two! And in very, very good cosmetic shape, to boot. So far, I've replaced the paper (?) and "bumblebee" capacitors, at least some of which were definitely leaky. Some electrolytics replaced...
  7. chazix

QRX-9001 question: is the 12V (12.4V) regulator a weak point?

Hi, sorry if my google fu was too lame to find existing discussion. I'm interested in the 12.4V regulator, TR604 and company on the F-2638 board, in a QRX-9001. Is it a "usual suspect"? If so, what is it that goes wrong? Reason for asking is that the owner says that the other-than-CD-4 phono...
  8. chazix

Almodóvar's "Parallel Mothers"

Mi amor and I caught most of this last light, on cable, by chance - didn't know about it, even though we're Almodóvar fans. I really can't yet process how I feel about the movie, overall - it's not an "easy" story, and it's a bit too long to watch in one sitting (for us). But one thing stood...
  9. chazix

Why do print magazines push way-early renewals?

I know, showing my age - but I still have a couple of print magazine subscriptions. Pretty much every such subscription I've ever had for the last half century or so has had one thing in common: the publisher starts pushing for renewal somewhere around six months before the subscription would...
  10. chazix

hobbyist-friendly supplier of custom dry transfer decals?

Anybody got any recent-ish tips for where/how to have dry transfer "decals" made from user-supplied artwork? My goal is to be able to renew the graphics on black-faceplate Advent 300s. So, just monochrome white is needed - but affordability is important. (Significant sweat equity is assumed.)...
  11. chazix

Subaru "Lane Keep Assist"

We just picked up a new base model Impreza. Haven't had much driving time, and haven't schooled ourselves about the car yet, but it seems clear that we can't go for a real-world drive and not be scolded by the "Lane Keep Assist" feature. At least it hasn't gotten to the point where the car has...
  12. chazix

is the "broken-ness" of vintage gear accelerating?

This might make me a candidate for Captain Obvious's job. For sure, it's a classically non-newsworthy "my daddy saw a cat last year" (*) sort of post. Please ignore it, if your heart or mind allows. And yet, I would really like to know: Does anyone else have a strong perception that vintage...
  13. chazix

recent firefox update fatal (linux)?

I had been using firefox as the default browser on my Linux (Mint/Elementary) laptop, and have been somewhat reluctantly keeping up with updates. The most recent update seems to have rendered it utterly unusable - at first it just slowed the whole system to a glacial crawl, but if I try to...
  14. chazix

chassis ground connection in CA-1000

They say there are no stupid questions, right? I've got a CA-1000 where the chassis is floating with respect to what should be the common ground (for example, the "E" terminals on the power amp boards). I think there should be a connection between the two somewhere, no? But in this amp's...
  15. chazix

Happy Birthday, Linda Ronstadt!

Hey, she might be a member, right? Anyway, what a class act she was, is, and ever shall be.
  16. chazix

Realistic STA-2100D FM S meter drive - what were they thinking?

Excuse the attachment, which I think is a decent scan of part of the schematic, but you'll probably have to rotate it. I'm working on an example of the subject receiver, and have noticed that the FM signal strength meter is very shy. It barely registers on a station that gets a mid-range...
  17. chazix

Manchester NH Electronic Surplus store closure sale

Sadly, ESS is closing its brick and mortar presence, but my understanding is that everything in the store is 50% off while they remain open. Not sure how long that will be, since I think they need to be out of the building by the end of December. Best call before planning a road trip...
  18. chazix

analog synth tuning specs call for a not-quite octave

Hi, instrument mavens, may I try a long-shot question about tuning a synthesizer? First, perhaps I'd better confess that I'm not a musician and not knowledgeable about any instrument, though I expect that will be obvious. I'm working on a Roland SH-1000, an analog synthesizer from the 70s...
  19. chazix

how often do you see an oncoming vehicle on/over the dividing line?

I might have put this in the "Wheels" etc forum, but it really doesn't have anything to do with vehicles - more with their operators. And for sure it's just an old-man-yelling-at-clouds rant, anyway. Okay, here goes: The one rule of the road that I would think would be the most respected is...
  20. chazix

FM IF oscillating in Sansui Seven receiver

I'm stumped - hoping this is an interesting enough problem to get some of the real giants to suggest ideas. A Sansui Seven receiver is on the bench with a simple enough symptom: there is clearly a self-oscillation affecting the FM IF section. Signal strength meter pegs, center tuning meter is...
  21. chazix

Variations on "Less talk, more rock!"

I don't know if this is a game, exactly, but this seems to be the forum for harnessing AKers' creativity on just-for-fun subjects. Thread is "inspired" by a recent experience I had of attending a mostly-musical revue where there was an announcer between acts who went on way too long. Muttering...
  22. chazix

Do you like American-style hefeweizen?

First post in this forum, I think, so I hope it's not inappropriate. I'm interested mostly in hearing from wheat beer appreciators who prefer what are usually called American hefeweizen styles (I'd say prime big-name examples include Harpoon UFO and Widmer Hefeweizen, depending on which coast...
  23. chazix

R267 in HH Scott 340(a) bias/filament power supply?

Hi, glass audio gurus, I've got an AKer's 340(a) on the bench and will be undertaking a refresh of the power supply. There has already been some partial work done on it, I believe as a result of the rectifier for the bias/filament supply flaming out. So, some of those components have already...
  24. chazix

The Fickle Fuse Affair, an AK mystery starring a Carver MXR-130

I like to think of myself as pretty hot stuff when it comes to diagnosing faults in hi-fi gear, but this Carver that I'm working on for another AKer has got me stumped at the moment. I think it might be a mystery worthy of posting here for your amusement. And if someone comes up with a hint...
  25. chazix

WebCassette

I don't get into this forum much, so pardon me if it's old news. I think it's pretty cool. https://webcassette.klysmafax.se Cheers chazix
Back
Top Bottom