Search results

1. southp

Advice on DA1 to DA2 Module Upgrade

Really appreciate the comments on your experience with the DA2 module on the 8950. Can you give me a sense for what your digital sources/connections are? Are you streaming or do you have files on a network storage? Lastly, I really love that line "the 8950 is my end game amp". There are...
  2. southp

I'm in Canada. I'm paying $1200 CDN, so that would probably still be around $1000 USD.
  3. southp

Very interesting take on things. Like you, I'm streaming from an Amazon Firecube (similar to Apple TV) and the HDMI arc on the DA2 makes things considerably more simple for that setup, while still accomplishing 24-bit HD sound. The analog connections on my MA5300 give me everything else I need...
  4. southp

Streaming Rookie

I was uncertain about this. So basically you can use the Bluesound Node as your streaming interface (App, Bluetooth, etc) but still use the DAC from your amplifier? Is that a default thing when using the digital outputs or something that is setup in the BlueOs app?
  5. southp

Yes they do state that. Still interested to hear from anyone who has had the upgrade installed.
  6. southp

I am a new owner of an MA5300 Integrated and I would like to swap out the DA1 DAC Module for the DA2 so that I can take advantage of the HDMI (CEC). This would allow me to play HD audio from my Amazon Firecube > TV > Amplifier. Has anyone else had experience with the DAC upgrade? Any...
  7. southp

Harbeth Owners Thread

I'm about to get my basement setup together and the starting point to choose from out my stored gear is all older (B&W 602, a couple of Marantz amps, some Dynaco speakers, Lenco L75 TT, etc). That being said I'm very tempted to go back for an all British setup like my main rig (Elicit-R, BW...
  8. southp

B&W Owners Thread

I've been running my 805N's for almost 2 years now and still haven't had that itch to try something new. They just settle perfectly into everything I play... be it heavier rock, to electronic, or even for movie watching. That last one, movie watching, is a finicky thing. Mostly every new...
  9. southp

B&W Owners Thread

I felt the same way which is why I bought my 805's 2nd hand. A top of the line speaker from a few years ago, is still a top of the line speaker and generally an audiophile will baby their gear. Financially speaking I went from the 602s that cost me $400 (CDN) to the 805N's that cost me $1400...
  10. southp

Upgrade from Rega Brio-R to Elicit-R with Harbeth or B&W

Just thought I'd bring back my thread from early 2015. It's rare to say this in our little hobby, but not a single thing has changed in my setup since my last post over a year ago. I'm just so fond of this setup Elicit-R, Rp3 and B&W 805 and I don't have a the slightest itch to mix it up. I...
  11. southp

Rega Brio-R

Hi CamR33, welcome to AK. I'm a fellow Montrealer and a big Rega guy. From the recommendation you received, I'm thinking you went to Son Ideal on Bishop? I tested the same combo there at one point when I planning my speaker upgrade. I had the Brio already and was looking at Harbeth vs. B&W...
  12. southp

B&W Owners Thread

Those 602s were my first B&W, and I have since upgraded to some 805N's. It was a rather significant jump, but the 602s are a great bang for your buck. I haven't been able to part with mine - they're safely in storage and may see a return to action in the basement system on day.
  13. southp

Sounds like you're having fun with it, no matter what! I'm curious if it's just a matter of being left on over night or if the fresh light of day gave you a new perspective on the Elex. Either way, I'm happy to hear you're enjoying the expanded soundstage. I also had a good chuckle at the...
  14. southp

Basic Music Playback/Organization

Check out Kodi (formerly XBMC). It's free, open-source. I'm using it with a Logitech Harmony remote and it's amazing. I believe it has a setting for auto-rip: http://kodi.wiki/view/Ripping_CDs
  15. southp

Well I can only comment on what I have experienced, but it sounds like you're on a similar journey as me. Moving from my vintage Mac combo (C28/MC2505) to the Rega was quite eye (ear?) opening. Obviously Mcintosh has a well-documented sound which I found to be warm with a nice soundstage...
  16. southp

HTPC Build

I'm very interested to see your progress. Did you come up with the design yourself or are you working off plans you found online? What software do you run on your HTPC? I had been using JRiver up until before the holidays, but I have since switched over to Kodi and i find it much more...
  17. southp

Harbeth C7ES-3

That's the best feeling - when someone else makes a comment about the sound of your system. :D It sounds like your wife is knowledgeable which is great, but it's also great when it comes from someone who doesn't really know much. Last christmas I had some music playing in the background...
  18. southp

Harbeth C7ES-3

I thought they were a beautifully refined speaker when I auditioned them with the Rega Brio-R and Elicit-R. But in the end I went with a B&W speaker which was more to my taste. If you don't mind me asking, did you purchase the 7's new or previously owned?
  19. southp

Pics of your listening space

I recently swapped out the vintage McIntosh combo for a new Rega Elicit-R and some (new to me) B&W N805's. Analog playback on the Rp3 with Exact cart has just come alive - especially since I was having problems with my C28 phono preamp. Meanwhile, the digital setup is Kodi Media Center...
  20. southp

Thought I'd post an update as I integrated the B&W 805N's before the holidays and I've been in absolute bliss with the Elicit-R. The level of detail, clarity and just the right amount of punch is exactly what I was hoping for when I originally auditioned the PM1's back in November. I'll admit...
  21. southp

My early experience, with the 602's still in place, is that the Elicit is delivering everything I had heard at the dealer - incredible soundstage and beautiful clarity across all ranges. I went with some HD audio out of the box, and tracks like Everybody Hurts by REM were just jaw-dropping. I...
  22. southp

Well Jeff, it looks like I'm following in your footsteps as I just secured some B&W 805's but they are 805N, not 805S. In the meantime the Elicit-R arrived the other day and I will be setting it up this weekend. I'm still going to start with my older B&W 602's and then move to the 805's so I...
  23. southp

Just bought a Rega

It's hard for me to comment jeff, because you're talking about upgrading from an Elicit/805 combination that I'm aspiring to put together. :) That being said, depending on your tastes, there could be better speakers for you. Like I said in my other thread, there are clear differences in how...
  24. southp

Upgrading Rega Brio-R to Elicit-R with Harbeth or B&W I spent a good 2 hours with the Elicit-R yesterday at the local dealer and I fell in love. We started with the Brio (because I already own one and I'm familiar with the sound) and then moved to the Elicit. I had two goals - to interpret...
  25. southp

Just bought a Rega

You summed up the Elicit-R perfectly. Maybe I'll start a new thread to share my thoughts...
Back
Top Bottom