Search results

1. PR Audio

Just Received my new Arcam SA-10

I wouldn't know how to write a proper review of an amplifier, I can for speakers, but not for an amp. Yesterday I received an Arcam SA-10 integrated amp I ordered from a well known online retailer, which I consider one of the best in the business. The original price was $799.00, but they had a...
  2. PR Audio

Amazed or Disappointed (Triangle Borea BR02/SF Venere 2.0/MiniLore)

I don't know if I'm disappointed or amazed. Last week I went to a friend's house and took with me my recently acquired Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 to compare with his newly arrived Triangle Borea BR02 and his Tekton Mini Lore. For amplification we used his Denon PMA-600NE and to play music we used...
  3. PR Audio

Which SS Integrated Amp, modern or vintage?

Hi! Usually I don't roam the SS page, as I really, really, really enjoy tubes. Anyways, today I just went ahead and traded my McIntosh MX-113 Pre/Tuner for a pair of like new, low hours, Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 speakers. I was using the pre to control a CJ KT88 power amp, but I sold it a couple...
  4. PR Audio

SF Venere 2.0 Opinions

Hi! I placed a piece of audio equipment, not speakers, for sale locally. Though I listed them for sale someone wants to trade for a pair of Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 that have seen little use and are in great condition. My equipment and the Venere are basically an even trade. I really wanted the...
  5. PR Audio

EL-84 or KT-88 power amp and pre or integrated

Guys, hi! I come once again to you the experts. I've been trying to find a tube amp, but my quest hasn't been very succesful, and those that I have found are out of my budget. So, I am looking at the possibility of going the DIY route. For some time now, I have had a few DIY plans filed as to...
  6. PR Audio

Fair Price for McIntosh Pre?

Hi guys, not taking in consideration shipping, what is a fair price to pay for a McIntosh MX-113 Pre-Amp Tuner in good to very good condition? Everything works and was professionally gone over and cleaned, very lttle bubbling (almost non-noticeable), and the only issue is a missing bezeI with...
  7. PR Audio

Is Bartertown Active?

I sent a PM to Tinkerbell, but it was recent, so I'm sure it has not been seen yet. Maybe someone else can help me. Wanted to subscribe to Bartertown, but can't find any obvious or simple way of doing it. Is Bartertown dead? If not, as a subscriber it would be worrysome that there is no easy...
  8. PR Audio

Free KG-4's Mods?

It's been awhile since I posted... I was given for free a pair of Klipsch KG-4's, first version, that need some TLC. The speakers are in excellent working condition, but they are in need of cabinet resurfacing. I plan to take off the factory bases (skirt), and build a pair of custom stands. I...
  9. PR Audio

PE FX TUBE-P1 Amp Tube Rolling Recommendations

Hi guys, it's been awhile since I've posted here. My son is in college and I'm getting him a small system that includes a tube amp, Bluetooth dongle, Aux to connect his laptop, and full range speakers. I plan on installing better tubes than the Chinese ones the amp comes with. It uses 6J1 for...
  10. PR Audio

Tube Pre-Amp Recommendations

Hi, I am selling some audio equipment in order to substitute my current pre-amp. From the sale I expect to raise anywhere from $350.00 to $450.00. Is it possible to get a used tube pre with phono stage at around that price range? If so, which? I am also open to DIY options.
  11. PR Audio

McIntosh MX-113 Pre Value

Hi guys, First of all, hope everyone is well and in good health... I have a McIntosh MX-113 Pre. I purchased it many years ago, and it has served me well, but time to move on. Whatever pre I end up purchasing or building DIY, must cost more or less the same as the proceeds from the MX sale...
  12. PR Audio

Tweeter Ohms Reading Question

I took out a tweeter that seems to have gone bad in a speaker. I checked the crossover with some drivers that I had lying around and they sound fine; so the crossover is not the problem. I took out the bad tweeter (8 Ohms) and it gave me a reading of 6.1 Ohms in my multimeter, which suggests it...
  13. PR Audio

Which woofer to use? 2-Way

Hi! It's been awhile, work has gotten in the way. Back to semi-retirement! Anyways, I'm building a 2-Way bookshelf speaker using a pair of Hiquphon OW1 that were given to me as a gift. Was thinking of building a pair of Carrera's, but the price of those Scan Speak woofers is simply out of the...
  14. PR Audio

From McIntosh SS Pre to Tubes DIY Kit

It's been too long since I undertook a new DIY project that is not speakers. My main music system is tubes, as I have a modified CJ MV-75 with KT-90 Tubes. For pre I have been using a McIntosh MX-113 Solid State, and the combination is actually extremely good. But, I want to go with an all tubes...
  15. PR Audio

To Zobel or not to Zobel, that is the Question!

Guys, I am making a 520Hz 2-Way 2nd Order XO for a pair of speakers I designed. Until now they have been connected to an active XO, but want the versatility of being able to move them around and use just one amp. I already have the components, the XO will incorporate a -4dB L-Pad for the...
  16. PR Audio

PTFE or PIO Bypass Cap?

Ok, I have asked this in the past and I get a whole bunch of responses from different point of views or schools of thought. People who bypass caps in crossovers and audio signals swear that it works, IMO it does work, as I've done it before with very good results. So, this is for those who are...
  17. PR Audio

2.1 Full Range Plate Amplifier

Working on designing a pair of Stereo Speakers for my office, they will be 2-Way Floorstanders. I will make them active using this plate amplifier. Has anyone had experience with it, your thoughts?
  18. PR Audio

Review: Santa brought Oontz Budz2 by CAW

Not much a fan of earphones or headphones, I find them uncomfortable no matter what. But, they are a necessary evil in order to keep peace around the house, isolate yourself from the world, working out, working, or simply to hear music from your favorite IOS or Android device. So I didn't want...
  19. PR Audio

Earbuds Klipsch R6i vs. Focal Spheare

Getting my son another pair of earbuds with Iphone controls. Split between the Klipsch R6i and the Focal Spheare. Has anyone has experience with both? Your thoughts? Going to order today, the R6i is $10.00 less expensive than the Focal, that is not going to kill me, so price difference is not a...
  20. PR Audio

Sansui 7000 Receiver Troubleshooting & Opinions

My brother just purchased a Sansui 7000 receiver, usually I prefer Marantz or Denon when it come to receivers, and tubes when it comes to pre-amps and amps, but I must say that though slightly brighter than my preferred sound signature, IMO it is a very good sounding receiver. Would like to know...
  21. PR Audio

DIY Speakers for Office

Here is the deal, as some of you know I have designed and built a a few DIY speakers, as well as build from online plans like the TABAQ. When I build I build for myself, so I know my budget, if I can go higher than my budget, and what to get. But, this time I am building for my brother, who...
  22. PR Audio

Crossover Opinion 2nd Order vs Just Low Pass

For some strange reason I have had a very busy work year, and have not gotten to building the crossovers for my DIY Hybrid Speakers. I designed them long time ago, 2nd Order 520 Hz with -4dB L-Pad, but since right now I am bi-amping and using an active crossover, I haven't bothered much with...
  23. PR Audio

PE Buyout Titan Woofers - Any DIY Users?

I have been wondering about PE's Titan woofers, which are dirty cheap, and different when you take in consideration the available rainbow of colors. The drawback for some is that they are 4 Ohms, but leaving that to one side, who has used them in a DIY project. The 15" with 1.7 QTS looks like a...
  24. PR Audio

Vizio D65U-D2 Nice!

Recently my trusty Philips 50" Plasma 720p died on me. What a piece of crap, only 12 yrs. of heavy usage service. I am not going to start a Plasma vs LED debate, as new Plasma's are almost non-existent these days, but the image quality of the Philips was better than many top brand 1080p LED's I...
  25. PR Audio

Help building EL-84 SE Amp

Guys, after getting speaker building pretty much under control; except for XO, but that I can wing it with the help of apps, software, mics, DSP, and active XO's. And, having built a few Class D (more assembly than build). I have decided to build my first Tube Amp. It will be a simple project...
Back
Top Bottom