Search results

1. R

DEBATE - What's the best Pioneer?

Charlie: Thanks again for the info. The SX-980 has a turnover knob (can't remember what the values are), but I guess if I change the value (lower) it should reduce the artificial emphasis of the FM broadcast? Does the TU-717 have some type of mechanism or built-in filter that eliminates this...
  2. R

I am curious how satellite65 would describe the differences of the x80 receviers compared to the x50 receviers -- what would be the main difference -- any specific characteristics?? Thanks.
  3. R

I have the TU-717 connected via some medium-grade ICs (nothing fancy). As a source component, I have a Denon DVD-2900 universal player which, of course, has SACD. I can change the tweeter output with the different resistors that came with the speakers. I am using the 6 ohm resistors which...
  4. R

I own the SX-980, and like my Sansui TU-717, has been completely overhauled by Ken ######## of Stereo Surgeons in Hartford CT. My total cost (purchase price/overhaul is a bit over $550 for the Pioneer, and just under $400 for the tuner. Ken said my Sansui is the most pristine example of a 717...
  5. R

Finished my SX-1980! Check out the pics!

Beautiful piece and a great job. Smart move mounting TT to wall -- helps keep vibration to a minimum. If you ever get the bug to do a total cleaning, or just want to see some beautiful pieces, check out this site. I've never seen such attention to detail. http://www.geocities.com/cdkands/...
  6. R

I thought this might be a fun/interestiong discussion: I am interested in what owners of the Pioneer SX series receivers think about which is the best sounding receiver. I've heard different things; among them, that the SX-980 sounds better than the 1280, 1980 and the 1250. Of course, so much...
  7. R

Favorite Vintage Receiver Brand - Why?

Sansui TU-717 Just to be clear, regarding my prior post, the Sansui tuner also was completely overhauled by a professional tech.
  8. R

Favorite Vintage Receiver Brand - Why?

Pioneer SX-980 I own a completely overhauled (by professional tech) Pioneer SX-980, coupled with a Sansui TU-717 tuner, driving a pair of Decware Radial 1.5 speakers. I absolutely love the sound. Maybe it's the amazing hand-made speakers, but the sound is extremely detailed and uncolored...
  9. R

Frustrated with vintage Solid State

Vintage SS is Great Many vintage SS receivers are wonderful pieces of equipment. I paid $250 for a Pioneer SX-980 and it sounded and looked fine, but being 30 years old, it needed work. I sent it out for a complete overhaul at Stereo Surgeons in CT, which cost close to $300. So after...
  10. R

Welcome to the Solid State Forum!

New Member I'm new to AK but have read many of the interesting forums/threads over the last few years -- excellent source of information. I grew up in the 70s. My twin brother and I bought our first system when we were 16 (around 1971) consisting of a Pioneer SX-1000TW, a Kenwood KT-7001, a...
Back
Top Bottom