Search results

1. jhaan92

Bryston 4B-ST

I can agree with that. The 4B-ST is certainly a tough act to beat for it’s price. I have mine mated to an Audio Research LS-3. I had been casually tossing around the idea of going to a tube amplifier (possibly a Conrad-Johnson Premier 4 - 100w RMS @8 ohms) to drive the midrange/tweeters, but...
  2. jhaan92

The Table, the Myth, the Legend…the PL-L1!

You never know - one might surface. You still gotta come over and listen to it first! :biggrin:
  3. jhaan92

Well, it’s a matter of opinion. My FIL, who is an electronics engineer says no. I use one just to be safe as I don’t want to be sorry later as 99% if this table is made of a special material known as unobtainium and a service manual is almost impossible to get without begging.
  4. jhaan92

For the last 15 years or so I have been using linear tracking turntables; a PL-L1000A and my father’s PL-L1000 (both are made by Pioneer). Both are solid performers, and have given me zero issues since both were fixed about 15 years ago. I just wanted to try something different, so I started...
  5. jhaan92

Pioneer PL-L1000A, very low sound output.

We Gary, Yes, the design differences between the 1000 & and 1000a are rather extensive. Your stylus skipping over a couple of grooves is a rather common issue as the tone arm lifts/descends at about half the speed of the 1000. The arm speed is perfectly normal. Should take about 3-5 seconds...
  6. jhaan92

Linear Tracking Turntables...

Well, he had three, but I bought one. Totally worth it. I too am/was a Pioneer PL-L1000 user for many years. I can understand why they are both a great design as well as no longer mass produced. They are more expensive to make, and require precise calibration to get the tone arm to work...
  7. jhaan92

The Big 4 of Half-Speed Mastering

I found it to be well a well done pressing, and worthy of being in anyone's collection if they are a fan of Luther Vandross. I know that some of the CBS half-speed pressings suffer from equalization issues (about a dozen or so), and this one isn't one of them. -Jason
  8. jhaan92

Bryston 4B-ST

I still have my 4B-ST, 3 years after creating this thread, and it still sounds great! Much of the equipment in my stereo has remained the same, but my Pioneer SG-9800 equalizer was pulled from the stereo and replaced with a Technics SH-8065 equalizer. That was a big step in a more detailed...
  9. jhaan92

Happy Birthday jhaan92!

Thanks for all the birthday wishes folks! -Jason
  10. jhaan92

Some Bumps In The Road...

I understand the family man aspect - I have two kids myself. My household is a bit different though as all of us here are music lovers, so the stereo is used quite frequently, about 5 days a week. My journey into headphones was all by chance, and some really good luck. I bought a Technics...
  11. jhaan92

DBX Home Audio Equipment

My usage of dbx is fairly similar to what the OP has, albeit I have the 3BX-III instead of the 4BX, and a different equalizer. The most complicated item is indeed the 400X, most specifically with patching in the 224x. Personally, if you are not using the noise reduction unit (224X), then you...
  12. jhaan92

USPS mangled the package pretty good - one whole side of the box was pretty crushed. Thankfully, the seller did a really good packing job (plenty of bubble wrap, air cushions, and separate boxes for the ear speakers/amplifier). I'm certain that the package was just heaved into the back of a...
  13. jhaan92

As long as I have been into audio, which has been virtually my entire life as we had a fine stereo in the house growing up, I never gave much thought into the wonderful world of headphones - my focus was building the stereo of my dreams...until a few weeks ago. A while back, I was commenting to...
  14. jhaan92

Battle of linear tracking TT’s

I have listened to a few of them over the years (Yamaha, Technics, Kenwood, etc.) but my mainstay is a Pioneer PL-L1000, which @Pio1980 has noted was a scaled down version of the PL-L1 (wished I owned one!) offered only in Japan and through the US millitary PX (now known as AFEES) in 1978 or...
  15. jhaan92

Polk SDA SRS 3.1 thoughts, opinions

As a previous owner of a set of 3.1TL speakers, I agree with previous statements regarding amplifier power. They are a fine pair of speakers - I owned mine for years until they were replaced by a set of ADS L1590s. Make sure you have the interconnect cable that goes between the two speakers at...
  16. jhaan92

Why do you own a cass deck ?

I love reading the wide variety of reasons why other members here own cassette decks, both the humorous ones as well as the serious ones. My adventure is similar to many others here. I grew up with cassettes as a kid as I was growing up in between the transition from cassettes to portable CD...
  17. jhaan92

Digital vs analog tuners - pros and cons

I have always been in the analog tuner camp, even though my Pioneer TX-9800 is a pretty big unit. I love giving the weighted tuning dial a slight flick of the wrist and watching it go down the line! Also, the analog dial with it's backlighting is pretty to look at too. I know that digital...
  18. jhaan92

Nakamichi Dragon

:lurk: Gotta get in on this one while I can! :D That being said, I am very fond of my ZX-7. I've come across someone posting pictures of their Willy Hermann restored Dragon showing specs (print out) of 20 Hz - 22 kHz, +/- 3 dB, @ -20 dB. My ZX-7 came off his bench at 20 Hz - 24 kHz, +/- 2...
  19. jhaan92

I did not know that fact, so apparently it just may not be common knowledge. I will add that to my mental filing cabinet! :D -Jason
  20. jhaan92

Sorry it took me forever to reply to this, but the band claimed that UA was releasing defective copies (US release) of this album, and there was a lawsuit. Also, UA was sold around the same time, triggering a clause in their contract to allow for a change in distributors (band/management...
  21. jhaan92

Maxell cassette tapes - which are the better ones?

I have found that for a mass produced cassette Maxell had the quietest shells/mechanism. The housing would chatter until the tape rolled onto the take up spool, then silence. The only other company that had as quiet of a shell was the TDK MA-XG, which was/is quite expensive, and almost...
  22. jhaan92

A 10 Year Scroe In The Making!

Thanks! I have never been much of a "flipper" - I usually buy to keep, or if I don't, pass it on for what I'm into it for. That being said, that is probably why I have what is known as the "hall of derelict equipment"...my home for equipment that either needs repair, of haven't put to good use...
  23. jhaan92

Well, I finally got the downstairs room cleared out and organized (still suffering from the lingering effects from moving in at the end of July 2021!). I still haven't done anything with the JBL L88s yet though. Too many other projects (mostly home related) taking up my time. However, with...
  24. jhaan92

@leesonic - I'm not really sure yet. They will most likely be paired with my Sansui 5050 receiver (35 WPC) in the garage though as I've got no tunes out there currently. I've got the SAE equipment paired up with my ADS L710s (made in the late 70's), which are, IMHO, a better speaker. It all...
  25. jhaan92

@Bone Yard - This situation was a little different. She had a very difficult time accepting her mom's passing, and kept pretty much everything that belonged to her mom as they were extremely close. To make things more difficult, her and her (at the time) new husband needed a house, so they...
Back
Top Bottom