Search results

1. Mazeppa

What Was The Best Audio Deal You Ever Made?

Passing on a Pioneer QX-9900 for $200 that needed "a little work". Can you imagine trying to work on that monster, or worse, paying a tech if you could find one? Hard to do as my back in the day system consisted of a QX-9900, Pioneer RL-700 speakers and a Dual 1229 turntable I brought back from...
  2. Mazeppa

When the smarter choice is actually a step down

I agree with savatage1973 entirely. Starting point is the source material (music and media it's recorded on) to build a system for reproduction to your satisfaction.. Only very recently came to the same conclusion and scaled my equipment back to better match the source material (late 60's-early...
  3. Mazeppa

Replacing volume pot on TubeDAC-09

Well, I just couldn't leave it alone. Thought I'd eventually get used to the detented volume pot, but it kept bugging me. Found a pot that fit, perfectly as a matter of fact. Stem is correct length, right spline for the original knob. Seems to be by the OEM as it's identical right down to the...
  4. Mazeppa

Replacing volume pot on TubeDAC-09

Decided to leave it. The stepped volume pot is the only thing I don't care for about the 09, so I looked into this some. Knobs are indeed pressed on (no set screw), very tight and are not very stout (plastic with a thin, soft aluminum cap). Be prepared to deal with some cosmetic damage if...
  5. Mazeppa

Considering TubeDAC-09

That is correct, 2 seperate amplifiers are required for the setup I described. You'll find a lot posters saying that passive (utilizing the speaker's onboard crossovers) offer no, or little benefit. I beg to differ for several reasons. Availability of 2 different types of sources from a single...
  6. Mazeppa

Considering TubeDAC-09

Just do it Hey Buddyboy, I can't help with your headphone questions as I only use my 09 as a DAC. As such I've been very happy with it. Excellent, affordable way to try some tube magic, and the "Normal" output is good as well. Possibilities are many with this little jewel. All those...
  7. Mazeppa

DAC09 Tube/Normal outs simultaneously?

I've been doing some tilting and toeing in & out. Have yet to try tilting them forward, however. :scratch2: Presently They are both on the floor, tilting back slightly. Right speaker is square w/its corner, left speaker is toed in slightly. Toe in difference is to offset a perceived greater...
  8. Mazeppa

My initial use of the DAC 09 in my system was to parallel both amps to the Tube out. Very nice, so pleased with how it sounded, it was some time before I could make myself try the Normal out parallel to both amps. I immediately missed the tube magic in the mid & upper ranges, but that low end...
  9. Mazeppa

I like tricky. Klipsch Quartet, spec.s are here: http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/quartet-specifications/ I converted them for passive bi-amping using the onboard crossover. Woofers split from mid/tweeter horns. DAC 09 abnormal out to a TK2050 T-amp for the mid/tweet horns, normal...
  10. Mazeppa

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm on the hunt for a GE Red as I found the White to be well balanced and quite good, but they (Red) don't come up for sale often. I also like the stock tube, but in my system it seems a little rolled off on the top end.
  11. Mazeppa

DAC 09 fan here that also does the passive bi-amp thing. That sentence and the thread title makes my question fairly obvious. Is there any problem in using the Tube and Normal outputs simultaneously? What leads to this is the result of some tube rolling. I found a tube that is just wonderful...
  12. Mazeppa

Dac-09

Looking I have been, and remain on the lookout for one of those Red toe tinglers. If it can happen for less than $25.01, I'll have it.
  13. Mazeppa

Dac-09

The GE 5670 tube is designed to withstand usage typified by much on/off cycle usage. See here: http://tubedata.tubes.se/sheets/084/5/5670.pdf That knowledge, coupled w/the relatively low cost of these tubes leads me to just turn my DAC 09 on when I'm ready to listen, and turn it off when I'm...
  14. Mazeppa

TubeDAC-09 Roll and Mod Results

Loving it I got my TubeDAC 09 about a month ago and I really enjoy it. This is my second tube out DAC. The first was a Lampucera w/a 6N6P output stage that I think sounds very good. The 09 compares well with it sonically, and its versatility with the multiple inputs and ability to work as a...
  15. Mazeppa

Help me fix the tray on my CDM-4 Magnavox CDP

Did you got 'er yet, bro? With the faceplate loosened up, you should be able to tilt the tray up and down enough to get it past the stops, and out of the grooves on the side. Mine also has one of the rubber bumpers missing. BTW, I still have the CDM4-19 out of the CDB582 (I trashed it trying...
  16. Mazeppa

Help me fix the tray on my CDM-4 Magnavox CDP

Hard to tell for sure from your partial pic, but that looks like a CDM4-19 transport. I dealt with one in a Magnavox CDB-582, to replace the belt as a matter of fact. If'n it be the same beast, then...... 1. The tray has 2 pegs (on top of tray) with rubber rings on them that limit travel...
  17. Mazeppa

Your Picks For The World's Worst-Sounding Recordings

Responsible person, or persons at Atlantic should be slapped vigorously and repeatedly for what they did to some of the best music ever made. :dammit:
  18. Mazeppa

HK 330C preamp out/amp in mod question

Good tip, thanks.
  19. Mazeppa

I'll attempt a what-I-did on my 330c as was requested. See also pic.s and descriptions at: http://s713.photobucket.com/albums/ww135/Mazeppa_photos/HK%20330c%20mod/ I couldn't figure out how to get the pictures in the proper order, hopefully between the text below and the picture descriptions a...
  20. Mazeppa

Completed a trial hook up of the 330c amp section to a pair of the existing tape out jacks per BinaryMike's suggestions less the filter caps. :thmbsp: Giving it a listen using a Marantz 1060 pre section as I type, driving a pair of lightly modded Bose 201's. This is my background music at...
  21. Mazeppa

Quartet/Class D Tripath amp matching question.

Hey y'all. I've got the bug to try a Class D amp with my Quartets, and could use help in choosing between these two: http://cgi.ebay.com/TK2050-TP2050-2-100W-CLASS-T-D-TRIPATH-T-AMPBoard/130397808636pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5c50a7fc#ht_1737wt_1139...
  22. Mazeppa

What are the best bargain RCA cables

I quit wondering about and looking for affordable cables that "carry the mail" for signal connections in my system after I started using these.
  23. Mazeppa

Large Advent Modifications

:lurk:
  24. Mazeppa

cTs 3 way speakers. found on garbage. vintage

I'm digging your mounting scheme. Are those modified TV mounts? Seems like everybody has to have at least one crazy uncle.
Back
Top Bottom