Search results

1. Theron D

MX110z hum issue

Im getting a bad hum when the MX110z is connected to an Adcom GFA-565se amplifier (unbalanced). The MX is dead quiet when connected to a MC2505 amplifier. Everything is connected to a single outlet, same cables used, speakers etc. Anyone ever have a MX110 not play nice with newer amplifiers? (...
  2. Theron D

Sony SS-M7 speakers New in Box

How much would you offer? Being told they are new in box unopened and they came from someone that used to work for Sony. Here is the only pic I have, looking at tonight…many thanks!
  3. Theron D

Does this Marantz 8b look all original?

I have an opportunity to purchase this Marantz 8b. Does this look all original, I see no indication that it’s not? Any words of wisdom appreciated. I want to use and restore properly. *The current owner said its been unplayed for many years (decades?) and wants to slowly bring it up on a Variac...
  4. Theron D

Wharfedale W70 Restoration. All original beauties!

Recently acquired some original W70’s and they are beauties! Left speaker the tweeter was not working so hoping it’s the cap. The Woofer and Mid are Alnico, still looking for date. Note the two 2uF PIO Caps in parallel also the very large inductor coil. I have a lot of reading ahead… here are...
  5. Theron D

ADS L-1090/2 on Carpet

Recently picked up a pair, phenomenal speakers! Only issue is they are not very stable on carpeted floor in the music room. Has anyone addressed this before? Spikes inserted in bottom ? or maybe an anchor plate to sit on? Thanks in advance!
  6. Theron D

Late model Fisher 400 with “V” on end

Ive been trying the search engine and still looking to see how late of a Model 400 this is 55xxx along with the “V” on the end. Many thanks!
  7. Theron D

1964 Fisher 400 Restoration - Top Chassis Major Corrosion

Picked up recently from original owner (he purchased new in 1964). The unit was left unplayed for 30 years in a storage shed outside- so no climate control. The top chassis is a mess, inside does not look too bad and fairly clean. Because the inside looks good what would have caused the outer...
  8. Theron D

Pioneer SX-1050 users?

I recently acquired a minty 9.5/10 SX-1050 and wanted to see who else is using? I plan for this to be my summer unit primarily since my 100w Rogue Cronus Tube amp will run you out of the room with that excess heat. Back from local repair shop, funny the tech was hinting that he wanted to buy...
  9. Theron D

Pioneer SX-1010 Techs near Maryland?

I bought a Pioneer SX-1010 recently from a relative that indicated “its an old receiver, Ill bring it over and have you look at”....geezzzzzz....Gave them a very fair price, too much actually but its playing fine, all knobs quiet (except 1-2) and looks all original. But it’s going need a...
  10. Theron D

Wharfedale Monitor M-128 info? Anyone have?

I recently picked these up, but info online is very limited. Anyone ever hear these? Im listening to them now, not bad...
  11. Theron D

Goodmans speakers- help identify please

Any help identifying these very old Goodmans speakers as the tags in the back are missing the model type...greatly appreciated! British made, 3 way, beautiful walnut, large bookshelves (heavy). They do work fine (previous owner played them for me.) Havent hooked up at my house yet to see how...
  12. Theron D

Original Large Advents- Would you buy?

From Original owner, $100. They look very nice and will be able to audition. Good buy you think?any words of wisdom? Ive got KLH sixes, Polk 10s, Klipsch KG3, AR4x, and Dynaco A-25....building an arsenal of speakers...
  13. Theron D

Purchased today- Vintage NAD 3140 Stereo Amp, NAD 4020A Tuner, and NAD 6150C Cassette Deck

Bought from the original owner today who was downsizing. So far have only cleaned ( and will deoxit) the 3140 amp. It played fine so far and also the tuner powered up and seems ok. No idea about the cassette player (it powers up). Any words of wisdom appreciated! Any fans of older NAD...
  14. Theron D

x3workshop great buyer!

Antoine bought several pair of vacuum tubes from me. Great to deal with, friendly, quick payment! Pleasure! kind regards William
  15. Theron D

B&K 747 Tube Tester help/advice

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a beautiful B&K 747 tube tester from a local friend. He had for many years but never used. It seems to function good after calibration, but noticed the Bias Voltage and Signal Level varies just a hair. So I'm going to replace the electrolytic capacitors (there...
  16. Theron D

McIntosh MC-30 purchasing pointers please...

I have an opportunity to "possibly" purchase some MC-30s from an individual who has owned since the 60's (though they bought "used" back then I am told). They are downsizing and the opportunity presented itself. I have read there are variations (circuit changes) and am looking for some quick...
  17. Theron D

Eico ST40 find....

(Cross-posted over at the Steve Hoffman site) Yesterday's purchase in the neighborhood. Have not turned on yet. I believe this unit was factory wired since the work looks very good (IMO but I'm a novice in this area). Also the GZ34 rectifier tube is smoky grey at the top (see pic) so Im...
  18. Theron D

Pilot 248B pics and a tune up...

I recently posted about the speaker connection for a recently acquired 30W/channel Pilot 248B here but thought I would start a new thread in a recent trip to a local (retired) tube technician (Geoff Wolfson in Spring Grove PA) with some pics of the work done. My goal was to get the amp looked...
  19. Theron D

Pilot 248B manual and speaker connection help?

I'm looking for a user manual for a Pilot 248B, much appreciated if anyone has one or a link? I am hooking some speakers (8 Ohm) and noticed that the owner before me indicated with a marker for his stereo connection that the black goes on "8" and the red connects to "MA" for both channel A and...
  20. Theron D

Thrift store find! Pioneer AS-700 and TX-700

I posted this on the Steve Hoffman forum but thought I would post here as well..... Neat thrift store find last week, Pioneer AS-700 Integrated Amp and Pioneer TX-700 tuner. Fairly sure the employees had just set them out. They powered up at the thrift store so I brought them both home. I...
  21. Theron D

McIntosh and Vandersteen bad match?

I am going to audition some McIntosh tube amps tomorrow at a local dealer and was wondering why I don't see many people on this forum using Vandersteen speakers? Is this a bad match ?....ie too much warmth? I have Vandersteen 2ce Sig II and am looking to upgrade my Jolida integrated. I would...
  22. Theron D

Jolida 502BRC to McIntosh upgrade?

Hello I have been considering for some time to upgrade my integrated Jolida 502BRC to a MC-275 with a McIntosh pre? Is the upgrade quite noticeable? Slight? How would you describe the upgrade? Better bass definition? Midrange clarity? The Jolida has been a great introduction into tubes, but...
Back
Top Bottom